Building a Combo with Rack Spaces?

• Members

Hey all,

anyone done this? I want to build a cabinet that will house both a 1x12 and my triaxis stuff... kinda in the same vane as the old Groove Tubes Soul-o75. Anyone done this? any advice would be helpful, as the Triaxis is funky with it's dimensions and it's input jack on the backside. if anyone has plans for how to build something like this, that would be amazing as well!

thanks,

mike

• Members

theres a few bass cab builders that offer this, Drbass is a builder that does it, he makes the cabs then he puts a 3 space rack on top. Genz Benz does it on some of their bass cabs too, they call them convertible combos.

Im planning on either buying one, or making one to make a really nice sounding combo

its a great idea, the only problem is with tube amps, they heat up quick and it doesnt give them much room to breathe, cuase the only way for the air to go is out the back, unless you have a front vent. and tube amps will be subject to a lot more vibration from being directly mounted to the speaker assembly,

ive never sen it done with a guitar cab before though, could be cool, but it could be awkward too, if you need alot fo rack spaces, id say the max to do it would be like 4 spaces, cause any bigger and ti would look kinda goofy and would prolly be pretty hard to handle with all the weight being on the top.

• Members

I am building an Imbuya single 12 ext. cab for my Mrk III Simul-Class combo as we speak. And I am putting in a single rack space at the top of this cab. to house my Rocktron Xpression. Years ago I did this exact same design for a 50 Cal. Mesa Boogie I owned, and it rocked. It really is nice cause it cleans up by you not having to have an extra rack out there.

You might wanna consider putting in a fan prolly. And some kind of dampening system so there is as little vibration from the cab as possible.

addendum: just completed the hidden dovetail cab exterior this morning. Thank God for dovetail jigs. It is pretty sweet.

• Members

So, i'm not completely off my rocker about wanting to do this... that's good. I've got a rack and vertical 2x12 that are often too much for the smaller gigs i play, but i truly love my tones and wish they were in a combo. but i can't afford 2 amps. so that idea was to make the combo, and then plug it into the cabinet when i want more hutspa. Either way...

1. fans. i don't have any in my rack case and it seems fine. why would i need one in the combo?

2. dampening. this makes sense... what would you suggest i use? should i wrap the rack pieces in it so they don't vibrate against themselves?

3. dimensions... the triaxis is 15" front to back... so the combo would need to be more than that. is that too much for a combo?

would i be better off building a set up like a bluesbreaker, with the rack pieces (3 total) facing up?

thanks all! i'd love to see pictures of your stuff if you have them.

here's a picture of the Groove Tubes amp that gave me the idea.

• Members

Well, fans or a fan if you are using an amp of some kind. I guess if the Triaxis is fully enclosed ya won`t need one. On the dampening end, this is something I am thinking about myself at the moment.

You want it dampened a bit at least for possible vibration protection for the top/bottom and sides. I am going to try a type of rubberlike material used for making screenprinting dies. It is about a 1/4 inch thick, yet compresses fairly easilly. I will cut pads and place strategicly. But I only have the single processor to worry bout. You will need to experiment.

Dimensions. My Mrk III is only 11 inches at its widest area depthwise, so my Xpression will fit nicely within a matching cab. Your Triaxis is a deep mutha tho at 15 inches. So you`d need at least 16 to have the 1 inch space protection at the back. And looking at the tape right now, it IS wide. But not terribley.

I am no expert, but it seems to me you wanna keep the space behind you speaker open. Like a normal combo would be. Tilting the rack pieces would be a trick idea to keep the depth down maybe a bit. Example tho: My speaker depth is 6 inches. I will guess 3 rack units with some dampening between will be around 7 inches IF each is a 2 inch high unit. That is already 13 inches. used up.

Not really any space in the box left for the speaker to really do its thing. You could always build a preliminary box that would allow you to at least try it. But... if you don`t mind transporting, I think a 16 inch deep combo box is your best route. It holds your rack stuff, and gives the speaker room to breathe. A tad deep, but all that means is transportation considerations. IMHO. Once setup, it is all visual from there cause you are really only concerned with the front speaker projection and the fact that it IS holding your rig.

When my cab is done I will post some screens. Good luck with yours. :0)

Archived