Ever use multiple racks for your rig?

SlipKid

• Members

I'm starting to think about this as an option. I just came across a Korg DTR-2 at a local shop that I'm thinking of picking up. I also don't yet have a power conditioner, and that's high on my list of priorities, rack-wise.

Problem is, I have a 6-space that's full and a 2-space that's empty at the moment. I'm seriously considering getting 2 4-space units and keeping the 2-space. The gear (present and future) would be arranged in the following way:

Rack 1 (4-space):

- Furman PL-8 (or something similar)

- Korg DTR-2

- 2-sp rack drawer w/Axess GRX4 and my other pedals

Rack 2 (4-space)

- Digitech 2112 SGS

- Korg A3

- Roland SDE1000

Rack 3 (2-space)

- Line 6 Pod Pro

Is it possible to run multiple racks off the same power conditioner (practically speaking, I mean - I know it's physically possible, but would it be a pain in the ass?). Is it a better idea to arrange the gear so that I could (if I wanted) move a single rack to use for a stripped-down show/practice/jam session, rather than having the "control" equipment isolated in a single rack?

Last, a more specific question: does it matter where the GRX4 is kept, practically-speaking? It needs to be near the pedals, obviously, since the cabling from them to it would be relatively short and (if extending from another rack) impractical. But is it possible to just hook in the other units from the external racks and work it that way?

Should I even bother with this, or just get a single 10-sp unit and be done with it? It'd be a bitch to move, and I'd feel a little "overdressed" at more informal jam sessions.

• Members

Unless you spend a lot for a surge suppressor such as a Surge-X, just get the cheap RackRider - and that's mainly for the lights. They don't really do much to pretect your gear. Don't worry about loading one up with gear - I use them in my PA amp racks and have only popped a breaker once.

I'd go with one large rack just so you don't have to do all that patching every time you set things up. So long as it's not so big and heavy that you have trouble managing it of course.

If you do use multiple racks, consider using PowerCon connectors for getting AC from one rack to the next. They are cheap, exceedingly durable, and and they lock into place. (See http://padrick.net/LiveSound/ACcables/ACcables.htm .)

• Members

I use two 4u racks for my rig. I have one rack with my Furman unit, effects processor and preamp while the second has my power amp.

The power amp is pretty heavy all by itself, so using two racks allows me to split up the weight. This also allows more room for the power tubes to breathe and cool off as well as having the power amp physically isolated from the rest of the rack (so it is grounded via the AC cord instead of the rack rails).

• Members

That's sort of what I had in mind with splitting mine into separate racks. I want to maintain some sort of portability, and maybe even sort the rig into some kind of modular setup composed of mini-rigs that I could take with me if I didn't want to use the whole setup at a jam/rehearsal or a small show.

Ultimately, I'd like to get it worked out where I have a 2x12 cab (or a pair of 1x12s) driven by a single-space power amp like the Mesa 20/20, which would pretty much have it's own rack (to keep it cool). Since I have a couple separate pre-amps in my rig, I would probably split them up and depending on their ability to stand alone (the Digitech, for example), combine them with compatible other units.

It's going to get expensive, I think, before I see the end of this.

• Members

I had the idea of building a bunch of preamp racks, a marshall, a junker, a recording, a mesa, stuff like that, with their own effects, racks for power amps, and {censored} like that...

I abandoned it, and will just use my VHT as my all time power amp.

• Members

Originally posted by El Grinder

Even though my rig is a modest 8u total, it's a pain to carry all at once. With it in two 4u cases, I can hold one in each hand (suitcase style), which makes it quite a bit easier to haul. Plus, it's easier to fit into my car as two 4u cases.

I used to have a 14. :(

Archived