Hey, I've got a few questions

• Members

Hi there, I'm never really in this forum, but I figured you guys would be the ones to ask these couple questions:

well, actually..first, i play in a band, we play mostly hardcore/screamo style music, some old style metal. i've got just a 120 watt combo, (2x12) and it's not working out too well. I'd been saving money for a different rig, but wasn't sure how I wanted to go about it. I've decided that i'd like to go the route of a preamp + poweramp + cabinet. What I'd been looking at is a V-twin or Quad pre and a QSC poweramp *edit* forgot to mentioned i'd also been looking at an MP-1 (the stock sound is okay, but not really my bag.. how does "mod 3" (mesa) sound?)

now for the questions:

1. Would the v-twin be ill-suited for the aforementioned music types?

2. What suggestions do you have as far as preamps are concerned for this type of music? (versatility is a plus, as well)

3. Any other insight that might help me out?

Thanks a bunch,

Chris

• Members

1. Would the v-twin be ill-suited for the aforementioned music types?

2. What suggestions do you have as far as preamps are concerned for this type of music? (versatility is a plus, as well)

3. Any other insight that might help me out?

V-twin probably wouldn't have enough gain for you. The Quad, Recto or Triaxis preamps would be more into the range of sounds that you'd be looking for.

If versitility is key, the Triaxis beats the other two.

• Members

Hafler Triple Giant works amazing for a good friend who playes emo as well. The sharp channel is also very good for old skool metal.

Are you a creative screamo player with nice voicings and strange chords? If so, then clarity is very important to get a good sound. If you're more into hardcore punk stuff with easy power chords, then a recto sound might be what you like. In that case the V-Twin will do fine.

The preamps you've mentioned all sound very different. Try to figure out what you like and dislike. Will Haven has a great sound through an MP-1, don't know if it's stock though. Otherwise I find them a bit blurry and so not special. But that's just my opinion.

The V-Twin is nice, certainly if you're more into hardcore stuff, but there are better preamps. The Quad is amazing, but a very difficult amp which can be frustrating.

Other good options are the Engl 530, Peavey Rockmaster (mind the eq settings) and Egnater IE4. But don't forget the Hafler Triple Giant!

Question: why do you want a solid state poweramp? Do you want to mimic some elses gear, do you have any special feelings for these poweramps, etc ???? It would not be my first choice.

Maarten

• Members

Originally posted by tubefreak

Hafler Triple Giant works amazing for a good friend who playes emo as well. The sharp channel is also very good for old skool metal.

Are you a creative screamo player with nice voicings and strange chords? If so, then clarity is very important to get a good sound. If you're more into hardcore punk stuff with easy power chords, then a recto sound might be what you like. In that case the V-Twin will do fine.

The preamps you've mentioned all sound very different. Try to figure out what you like and dislike. Will Haven has a great sound through an MP-1, don't know if it's stock though. Otherwise I find them a bit blurry and so not special. But that's just my opinion.

The V-Twin is nice, certainly if you're more into hardcore stuff, but there are better preamps. The Quad is amazing, but a very difficult amp which can be frustrating.

Other good options are the Engl 530, Peavey Rockmaster (mind the eq settings) and Egnater IE4. But don't forget the Hafler Triple Giant!

Question: why do you want a solid state poweramp? Do you want to mimic some elses gear, do you have any special feelings for these poweramps, etc ???? It would not be my first choice.

Maarten

my playing is often a mixture of what you said-- I play strange chords where the voice is really important, but I also have sections that are more simplified. the triaxis would be wonderful, but it's way out of my price range. and aren't they moderately fragile?

thanks a lot for that info-- the reason i'd been looking at solid state amp sections is mostly because i've had a hard time finding tube amps that are in my price range. If you've got any suggestions as far as those go, i'm all ears, and thanks for reminding me of that possibility, too :)

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger213

It sounds like you might prefer a Rocktron Pro GAP Ultra. I have never liked the V-twin, and I find the MP-1 lacking unless you get a parametric equalizer, a good delay unit, and a noise reduction unit.

i'll definitely have to look into one

• Members

i really hate the label; i think most new labels for music are ridiculous-- but the bands i most frequently compare to screamo are like.. atreyu, hopesfall, thrice...more of the music is similar to in vein to modern hardcore crap. which i'm not really a fan of. people like listening to it, and i don't mind playing it. i don't mind that stuff, but i'm more into gothenburg metal like Soilwork, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, The Haunted, At the Gates and I'm a big fan of Shadows Fall, Lamb of God, Machine Head, and stuff. That's more my bag, but it's fun to play the stuff tthe band plays.

• Members

Originally posted by nickdahl

Interesting. I like In Flames, too.

Just listened to some snippets from Hopesfall: it sounds like "modern rock" to me. You're right, these labels are crazy.

Nick

kinda depends what hopesfall album you're listening to :D

but yea- my least favorite one is "Post Metal" which i've heard used to describe Isis and Cult of Luna (two of my fav bands)

Archived