Guitar Rack Question! Difficult!

imai_h

• Members

Originally posted by imai_h

does anyone know what power amp that is there? the big black thing?

It is a solid state power amp that Bob use to use in alot of his rigs including EVH's, Andy Summers and a bunch more.

I think the brand name was Hi-Fet

• Members

Originally posted by LWatford-2

The orange and blue faced units look like Sony multieffects (the modulation and filter maybe?). Looks like an RSB-18 in there also.

yes.... alot of the gear is rather old.... not so clear on the new stuff.

• Members

Hey guys.... I'm an effect's rack newb even though I have a rack lol ! I keep changing my rack at home.... and I'm never satisfied with what I have. I keep changing it constantly! But how many rack effects are actually necessary in a live situation? And what do you think everyone should have in their rig ...... ? Hopefully you guys can help me 'finalize'! my rig once and for all!

• Members

Originally posted by imai_h

Hey guys.... I'm an effect's rack newb even though I have a rack lol ! I keep changing my rack at home.... and I'm never satisfied with what I have. I keep changing it constantly! But how many rack effects are actually necessary in a live situation? And what do you think everyone should have in their rig ...... ? Hopefully you guys can help me 'finalize'! my rig once and for all!

I think the short answer to your question is just, "As many rack effects as you need in your live show." There's no reason to just go hog wild to acquire loads of effects if all you ever use is delay and flange. If you can find a single good multi-fx processor that can handle all of your effects needs well, buy that and save the money that you'd spend on redundant processors to get a good shockmount rack case, a nice preamp and/or power amp, and/or a quality switching system.

I'm a bit in this situation right now - when I was first getting into rack effects, I managed to pick up a Digitech 2112, Korg A3, a Pod Pro, and a Roland SDE1000 delay unit. Now, I use a number of effects when I play, but I don't use so many that I need all these multi-effects processors. I'm not going to dump them, because I like different things that each one does, but I'm going to strip my rack down to probably the Korg and the Pod Pro for live situations, for ease of handling switching (basically, I can get away with using my FC6 to control the Korg, instead of needing a GRX4 or something similar quite yet).

Get the best that you can afford, or save and get the best that you want to afford down the road. I'm itching to try out a simple setup like: G Force -> Triaxis -> 20/20.

Of course, I can't afford that yet, but someday...

Archived