Single Space SS amps - Marshall 8008 or Carvin DCM150 ?

• Members

Well, I managed to blow up my Rocktron Velocity 120 while playing bass through it. :mad: The low E caused it to shut down in self-protect mode, and now that's all it will do - probably nuked an output transistor or the output driver stage.

So it's time for a new amp. :confused:

I can find a used Marshall 8008, which are single space and have a pretty good reputation, OR I can buy the Carvin DCM 150.

Is there any shredder out there who has been abusing one of these amps for a couple of years and can vouch for their reliability ?

• Members

Well I've had a DCM150 for well over a year and it still works perfectly fine and I've used it a lot and pushed it quite hard on occasions (rehearsals and whatnot). I run a Carvin Quad-X through it and I actually think that rig's going to replace my 5150 as my main amp.

• Members

I've got the 8008 and it works fine for my purposes (mainly home studio monitoring), but the one time I tried it as a guitar power-amp it seemed not to have the apparent volume of my buddy's

little 15-watt ss Fender combo. I was only using one side, though. I dunno... :confused:

• Members

I've actually had both for a while each. The first 8008 was bad, went POP! ZZZZZZZZZZ!!! *puff of smoke* two minutes after I got it. The replacement worked fine for years for me, but didn't seem to have very much volume despite it's specs.

The Carvin DCM150 I got has served me well with no hitches for two years. Tough as nails. I'd go with the Carvin myself.

Archived