Using a rack AND pedalboard?

• Members

Ok, so Im making the move over to rack stuff, and I'm only planning to use a preamp, poweramp and possibly tuner. I already have a delay, distortion, compressor, whammy, and wah pedal. I dont really want to get rid of these and would like to use them with the rack. Is it sensible to do this? Most of the time I will read "rack w/ rack effects" or "head w/ pedalboard". Does anyone use a rack with a pedalboard?

• Members

hey there, yes u definately can do that.. i'd look into rack mounting your pedals and getting a switcher to switch all your pedals via midi. the advantage of this is you can run true bypass past all of your stomp pedals AND you can have them mounted in your rack [more floors space.. no one can flog your pedals from you].

check out www.axess-electronics.com look at the GRX4... by using this you would have all your pedals turned on in your rack and the grx4 would run signal to each pedal when needed = MUCH less tap dancing on stage.

• Members

The tradeoff being that you can't bend down and adjust them on the fly.

Yes, plenty of guys use a combination of rack pre/power amp and other units, along with stompboxes.

Rule #1: there is no Rule #1.

Dig

Rule #2: NO POOFTERS!

• Members

the GRX 4 makes loops that are accessable thru the midi selector, so you would put each pedal in a loop and turn it on, then when you want to use the pedal, you select the program you made on your midi selector board and it will call up the loops that you want

so in easier terms, you make a program that says you want delay and chorus

on your GRX4 delay is in loop one and chorus in loop two.

what it will do is turn on loop one and two and then send you signal to yoru amp, when you turn the loop off it will bypass the loops and skip all of the pedals all together

• Members

Thank you for the good response. Two more questions, what would you suggest to power my pedals once they are in the rack? At the moment I just use the power supply on my pedalboard,but obviously I won't be able to do that. And for patch cables, what is a good brand that won't leave me broke? Thanks very much

• Members

these are the the more hidden expenses. I'm putting together something small for an all analog rack, so I bought mad cable. I got the .155 George l's so I can cut to length inside the rack & the thicker .225 (I got about 100ft) to run to amps, mixers, fx loops send/returns etc from keeley. If you have the time, learn how to make your own cables.

I'm still going with voodoo labs pedal power II for stomp boxes... great service in my experience. BUT then you may want to look into a power conditioner on top of that. Depending on your budget, there is Furman, or Art that are popular & will give you about 8 outlets depending on model.

anybody correct me if I'm wrong..... i'm half asleep. - Sean

Archived