Shoot me, I think I might go back to Solid state.

• Members

I like having a Marshall 9100, but I don't really like the sound of it as much as my solid state carvin that I sold. It seems like the razor-flat response of a PA power amp was right for me the way my preamp, guitar, and speakers were voiced. I think I can sell for a profit if I get the 9100 back in 100% working order. What do you guys think?:(

PS, the 9100 is also heavy and it sacrificed a VALUABLE rack space. Hmm, and it's too loud for my apt.:(

• Members

Probably a month. I just want a crown or a crest power amp:( :( . I really hate worrying about a breakdown. It also added some noise to my setup. The clean tones are not as good as they used to be. I just don't think it's right for me.

Vito Bratta did just fine with a Carvin FET1000 solid state power amp.:confused:

• Members

If your cleans sound better solid state, go for it. Solid states are much lighter, smaller and you don't have to worry about tube changes.

For me, the fact that my old solid state would break up the bass response around "6" and the cleans were always so stale drove me to use tubes instead. Then again, how many times have I bitched about the weight of the Strategy 500?

If solid state is right for you, then it's right for you.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger213

Probably a month. I just want a crown or a crest power amp:(
:(
. I really hate worrying about a breakdown. It also added some noise to my setup. The clean tones are not as good as they used to be. I just don't think it's right for me.

Vito Bratta did just fine with a Carvin FET1000 solid state power amp.
:confused:

Jim Fowler has a Crest and I know that he did a great deal of research A/B of some great tube amps, ala VHT and others to arrive at where he is with his setup......Those Crests are excellent poweramps and I just might get one myself for another rack that I'm building......:cool:;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

jerry cantrell used Mosvalve 500's for a number of years...

i've went through the VHT and Mesa Boogies, and now i'm back with the solid state power amps as well. to me, some have a response that is too flat for guitar work...but there are some solid state amps that work fine...so whatever works for your desired tone.

Archived