Tone difference in headphones to rig setup question

• Members

OK I am getting a little crazy here. Not that I was ever sane....But I was wondering how come I can get killer huge rock tones when I am playing through my headphones on my Rocktron Chameleon...But when I save the sound i like...Then run it at practice... It is ungodly horrible? Why is this? I seem to be able to dial in just about any tone out there through my headphones...But when I try to do it through a speaker cabinet...It sucks.....What can I do to fix this?

If I can get the sound that I hear in my headphones out live....I would be almost satisfied. Advice is needed please.

DS

• Members

^^ Yup. Headphones usually have a heavey BASS responce too. This is becuase at lower volumes we can't hear bass FQ as well as high FQ. This is also why some stereos have a "loudness" button that boost the bass signals. It can be hard to dial in patches to an exacting sound. Move 10 away from your cab and it is going to sound completely different then standing 3' in front of it. Luckily for me we run direct with EIM's so what I hear in my headphones at home is what at get live. How it sounds at FOH is up to the guys running the board. Also record your tone and play it back, that sounds different too. So does another guitar player playing through the same setup!

• Members

Well I guess I should ask then.....How do I get a decent sound out of a Rocktron Chameleon and two Mesa Boogie Theile 1x12 cabinets?

I am using a Les Paul Classic guitar.,..I have tube amps which I usually use playing out. But I would like to use the chameleon for the cover variety band I am doing right now.

Any advice on this?

• Members

Well here is what I did. First I recorded my live tone strait from the FOH desk. Try and listen to where your tone is in the mix and who you are drowning out or who is drowning out you. Before the IEMs I was playing through a Mesa 2x12 miked with an SM57. I spent a few days at home playing around with mike position on the cab, recording those sounds and playing them back. You would be amazed at what a 2" difference in mike placement makes on your sound. So play around with mike placement 'till you find your sweet spot. The other trick is not to add too much bass. At home by yourself bass sounds good, nice fat warm guitar tones. Live with a band you are now stepping on your Bass players mix and you will sound like mush and complain you can't hear your guitar and so starts the volume wars. Mids are your friend. My guitar sounds kind of thin when playing by myself but cuts through the band and fits well in the mix when playing live. The other thing that listening to recordings showed me was I used way too much distortion than was necessary. Again what sounds good at home vs what sounds good in a mix. Try to get out into the listening area of your audience (long chord during sound check or wireless) or get someone you trust with a good set of ears and LISTEN to them. Once you get your basic tones down you'll find you have retrianed your ear and it will be easer to dial in new sounds.

Archived