MIDI foot controller questions

• Members

Looking for a not too big but full-featured MIDI footcontroller.

Actually I would like something like the Rolls MidiBuddy I have now, but with the capability to send CC's. Just 10 switches (individuel programmable) plus Bank Up/Down and a display.

Already have a MIDI Mouse but it's too limited. And an Axess MFC-5, which is great but I would like more switches because I need it for amp channel switching as well.

Not interested in the Behringer (too big) or even bigger units like the All Access.

A Midi Mate would be quite right but Midi Mate-people: don't you miss Up and Down switches on it? I mean, having to use the "2nd" switch seems like a drag to me. And is it always Program Changes in Bank and Instant Mode, or can it do CC's too in those modes? And too bad it needs a wallwart.

• Members

I use the midimate...new version, with only 5 cc buttons. Some of the older versions had 10.

It can accept phantom power with the right cable and rack unit, so you may not need a wall wart.

In bank mode, you can access the UP/DOWN feature by pressing the 2nd button, so you are right, you don't have immediate access to UP/DOWN.

I set mine up with the banks 1-5 being my core sounds (My amp channels switch by midi). I then have an xpression pedal to bring up and lower the mix of effected signal that I want. For example, delay or some other modulation effect. The CC mode allows me to keep buttons 1-5 available for program switching, and 6-10 for assignable parameters like chorus/phase/EQ/trem/delay/reverb/leslie/etc...

It's enough for me.

• Members

Okay, thx for the info.

I would probably program a similar setup.

5 presets and 5 CC's for amp/fx switching.

Yoeri, the CAE looks fine but man, it is expensive.

Think I'll wait for the G-System. I may want to move my pedals to the rack and it sure looks like a fine controller, could use a couple of more switches though.

• Members

The G-system does look great. I'll have to mess around with one when I get the chance.

Anyhow, concerning the MIDI Mate, I always use Controller mode to use MIDI CCs. I am pretty sure that bank and instant mode are entirely program change oriented. And yes, it needs a wall wart. It does accept phantom power, but even so, I have to run the wall wart to the phantom power jack on my Triaxis before the power gets to the MIDI cable.

Archived