Rack FAQ?

• Members

Is there a good Racks for Dummies thread anyway? I was following this forum through but there's only two pages of threads?

I'm putting my first rack together and have been loooking at odds and ends, but want to know things like where in the chain things go, how patch bays are best used, etc.

• Members

Why not make this the FAQ thread?? Here goes.....

I. The proper chain.

A. Guitar

1. make it stay in tune

2. humbucking will create less noise in a large signal chain

B. Wireless (Optional)

1. Many wireless units will change tone dramatically.

2. Many people prefer cables.

C. Wah (Optional)

1. IMHO, they clutter your sound, but to each his own

D. Buffer (Optional)

1. Absolutely awesome. It will change your preamp's sound for the better in almost every case.

E. Preamp

1. With good surrounding components, most preamps sound very good. The following, obviously in no particular order, are touted highly by many forumites

a. ADA

b. Peavey

c. Marshall

d. Rocktron

e. Engl

f. Bogner

g. Cae

h. etc. (Add your own)

F. Noise reducer (Optional)

1. This depends soley on how loud your guitar and/or preamp are. I personally don't need one.

2. Rocktron is the most well known maker of noise reduction with their Hush units.

G. Pitch shift, Modulation, Delay, Reverb, etc.

1. There are more effects units out there than I feel like mentioning. You can spend $100 or $10,000. Sometimes less is more unless you want to sound like Type O Negative

H. Sonic Maximizer (Optional) May go before "G"

1. They are great for low-volume playing. they basically boost the lows and highs, and cut the mids. I like 'em.

I. Power amplifier

1. Once again, the hard rule here is Mesa, VHT, Peavey, and Marshall make some pretty nice power amps. I am getting tired of my Marshall and would very much like a Mesa.

Someone else can talk about AC power and Midi

I don't feel like typing anymore. I have GAS.

• Members

Originally posted by Flat Fifth Fury

Do you mean a patchbay or an interface? Any good rig has an interface so that all your connections to and from the rig are simplified onto a panel. Nobody wants to dig into your rig for every connecting cable. Yes, patch bays are usually left to studios.

OMG, I wasn't even thinking. I have a line mixer and splitter right in my sig. Put a switcher in your rig!!

• Members

Originally posted by Flat Fifth Fury

Do you mean a patchbay or an interface? Any good rig has an interface so that all your connections to and from the rig are simplified onto a panel. Nobody wants to dig into your rig for every connecting cable. Yes, patch bays are usually left to studios.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=12621

Something like that? I was going to make my own 'patch box', mainly so i could leave some of my stomp boxes in the back, and patch the into the signal as required... i may be thinking about it incorrectly though.....

Archived