cheapest way to switch between 2 preamp? (no patchmate)

• Members

Hi,

I have a Piranha and a M4 preamp, using VHT poweramp. What do I need if I want to switch them in and out of the signal path using Midi?

I currently have a patchmate but I found that it adds some significant noise to the sound especially at high gain setting. I bought the patchmate used and cheap. Maybe it is a good unit but it is just too old and the orginal owner did not take care about it.

Could anyone suggest a cheap unit to me which works for my rig?

BTW, if the patchmate doesn't add noise, it is really a good switching-weapon!

laiben

• Members

Good splitter --> Preamp one --> Both preamps into line mixer

--> Preamp two -->

use midi to make one preamp muted and the other on. Or use both on. I used this setup with an ADA Mp1 and a Pro Gap Ultra with great results. Combining a clean and dirty preamp sounds very much like "Gypsy Road."

• Members

I check axess website. look like the GXR4 is the mini version of patchmate and that would work for me though it don't feature stereo loops, hard to use, no display.... and relatively expensive for the limited features..... Thanks for the info.

The more I look at different switchers, the more I think the patchmate is the best bang of the buck! It has a big LED display for preset name and config, 9 Stereo loops, easy to use, power distrubution, and even a noise reduction loop!!

Maybe I would replace the jack and cap of my patchmate to see if it could fix the little noise problem...

Thanks

• Members

Originally posted by post_blues

Thanks for your information. However I think they dont do Midi stuff..

Right now I would rather perfer to switch the preamp by my hands, until i have money i will buy a Axess or GCX audio switcher.

laiben

You can email him and ask him.

Archived