Universal power cords...do you cut them to length for your rack?

• Members

I have a few rack units that use the universal power cord for power. These damn cords are 8-10 feet long and I end up rolling them up to keep them out of the way. I did a search on the net and I did find 3 foot cords, but even 3 foot is too long. I was thinking about going to the local hardware store and getting some new ends and cutting the power cords to the proper length.

What do you guys do?

• Members

Originally posted by psychodave

I was thinking about going to the local hardware store and getting some new ends and cutting the power cords to the proper length.

I do this. Those cords are cheap and plentiful, so you should feel no guilt cutting them to the appropriate length. It's easy to attach a big Leviton plug. You don't need to solder anything, and it only takes a few minutes. A wire stripper makes the job a lot easier.

No need to worry about what happens if you decide to move your gear around either. Over the last couple of years, I've accumulated a bunch of these cables, and always have a use for power cables of different lengths. Just make a new one to fit your application, and save the shorter/longer one for another time...you'll find a use for it!

Nick

Archived