Need help choosing a rackmount effects unit (G-Major, Xpression?)

Shintock

• Members

So yeah, basically, I'm looking at the TC Electronic G-Major and the Rocktron XPression. Both look like great units, but I'd definitely like to hear any comments from people that use them.

Are the speaker emulations on the XPression decent? They might be practical in a live situation.

What units should I also be looking at? I'm trying to stay in the $300-400 US range.

Thanks.

-Andy

• Members

Thanks for the reply, man. I've heard about the G-Major's track record, but why do so many people use it? :confused:

I'm happy to hear that the XPression is a decent unit. It's cheaper than the G-Major, which is a good plus. Mod effects are what I want the most, other than delay and 'verb, so I guess I shouldn't even consider the G-Major. Haha. :p

Are there any other units that I should be looking at?

• Members

The problems with the G-Major are:

1) the control knobs are cheap and occationally stop working or worse they simply break and need to be replaced.

2) The big one is that they will sometimes just shut down and will not reboot. They just go dead and have to be sent to the factory for repair.

Do a google search and you will see hundreds of threads on this.

The G-Major does sound good but not enough to bother with the problems. Some people have no issues and some players have them die all the time.

• Members

I have an Expression,the effects are all very good and the built in hush is a nice bonus. I have had a problem with it locking up certain patches after editing. It also will occasionally mute patches after editing and requires you to unplug it to correct the problem:mad: Your experience may vary:o

• Members

Originally posted by scud

I have an Expression,the effects are all very good and the built in hush is a nice bonus. I have had a problem with it locking up certain patches after editing. It also will occasionally mute patches after editing ...

If you are getting that go to your midi control settings. There is often a CC set to respond to an on/off command. If that CC is not going to the unit it will consider it to be an "off" command for that function which may turn the effect that you want off. I recommed that you always to to the continuous controler menu and turn everything off before you finish a program.

• Members

Originally posted by Flat Fifth Fury

If you are getting that go to your midi control settings. There is often a CC set to respond to an on/off command. If that CC is not going to the unit it will consider it to be an "off" command for that function which may turn the effect that you want off. I recommed that you always to to the continuous controler menu and turn everything off before you finish a program.

Pretty sure I have it all set up right,I'll look into it though, thanks:)

Archived