Hey, I'm new to rack gear...can you help?

• Members

Hey everyone-

I don't post here very often, and when I do, it's in the guitar forums. I just have a quick question. I'm new to rack gear, and I'm curious about starting one. Could you give me some opinions/ideas as to how to start setting one up? Thanks very much!

1. I like the look of the roto racks from SKB. Are these respectable cases? They certainly look durable and are relatively cheap. Any other ideas?

2. I'd really like a nice multi-fx processor. I like the look of the Rocktron Xpression, since it's cheap and seems to offer a lot of the things I would like. Are there other alternatives that are competitively priced?

3. I'm probably gonna buy a Furman power conditioner first, I hear it's essential to have something to protect against surges, etc.

4. Any other ideas as to what a beginner might want in a rack? You can check my gear in my sig. Thanks!

-SD

• Members

1. I like the look of the roto racks from SKB. Are these respectable cases? They certainly look durable and are relatively cheap. Any other ideas?

Gator case. Has front and rear rails, and you can get a shallower depth case.

2. I'd really like a nice multi-fx processor. I like the look of the Rocktron Xpression, since it's cheap and seems to offer a lot of the things I would like. Are there other alternatives that are competitively priced?

Xpression is great for the money. If you can handle used, you may want to look at a replifex ot multivalve. They are a discontinued variation of the xpression. I use the multivalve. Both the older units have a feature to switch channels on your amp too.

3. I'm probably gonna buy a Furman power conditioner first, I hear it's essential to have something to protect against surges, etc.

Good idea.

• Members

You could get a switcher and put your pedals in the loops. That way, if you aren't using a pedal you can take it out of the chain without physically unplugging it.

I'm all for running post preamp efx, primarily delays and reverb, in parallel via mixer. Look into that and see if it is something you'd want to do.

Even though I've had decent experience with SKB, both Roto and Non-Roto, I'd still suggest against that type of racks. If the rack would see any kind of travel, even short distances, I'd rather invest in a sturdy shock-rack. Angstrom Cases (ebay) and Road Ready make great rack cases. So did Kriz Kraft but afaik, they've sold the desing to A&S. I use an Anvil case myself.

I've used a Furman PL-8 in the past, good investment in protection. A better investment would be a voltage regulator, like the AR1215, which is what I have now. It not only protects against surges and conditions the power, it regulates the supply voltage. IOW, you'll get consistent voltage from venue to venue. The best option, IMO, would be a combination of an AR-1215 voltage regulator plugged into a Power Factor Pro. The PFP keeps your current consistent and clean. Anyway, Furman as a better explanation of it if you are interested.

oh.. and keep your tuner out of your signal chain.

• Members

Guys-

Thanks for the quick responses. Jaymeister, I'll check out the Gator cases. Thanks very much. ubersam, the AR1215 seems like a better bet as well, thanks. If I'm not mistaken, it does everything the PL series does as well as equalizing voltages so that sound is more consistant? Thanks. Any other opinions?

-SD

Archived