I wanna build a 80s BigHair rack setup..What do I need?

• Members

Looking to put together a Rack System for playing all big hair 80s Rock.

Scorpions

Winger

Dokken

Dio

Twisted Sister

Quiet Riot

Warrant

Poison

Ratt

Y&T

Black N Blue

Danger Danger

White Lion

Trixter

ETC ETC ETC....

What do I need for that kinda stuff...

I have a power conditioner

Tuner

Need the rest! Including speaker cabs....

I cannot buy the best stuff....But I have a good amount of cash to spend on this. So for live gigging...what do I need to get close!???

~David

• Members

Originally posted by DigitalSandwich

Scorpions

Winger

Dokken

Dio

Twisted Sister

Quiet Riot

Warrant

Poison

Ratt

Y&T

Black N Blue

Danger Danger

White Lion

Trixter

ETC ETC ETC....

What do I need for that kinda stuff...

I have a power conditioner

Tuner

Need the rest! Including speaker cabs....

I cannot buy the best stuff....But I have a good amount of cash to spend on this. So for live gigging...what do I need to get close!???

~David

approx. how much can you spend in total on:

- Preamp

- Multieffects

- Poweramp

- Cabinet

• Members

Roughly $5,000.....Give or take a $100.

Got any ideas?

~David

Oh. I would also have to know where to purchase these items as well!?!

5k will get you a lot.

Get a Rocktron Piranha, an ADA MP-1 and a Marshall JMP-1. Next get a G-major them a MArshall 100/100 dual monoblock or mesa 2:90 etc then get 2 MArshall JCM900 cabinet loaded with G12-t 75's. This will get you in at under 5k by a lot.

• Members

Roughly $5,000.....Give or take a $100.

Got any ideas?

~David

Oh. I would also have to know where to purchase these items as well!?!

5k? wow, thats alot!

ADA MP-1 was used by alot of 80s hair metal guys. or the JMP-1. If you want to go with the ADA MP-1, check into the Mod4 MarkII or the 3TM. those will do best for that 80s tone.

Poweramp... marshall or carvin will do the job. But since you can spend about 5k in total on gear, i'd look into somthing like the VHT 2/50/2. alot of people swear by that poweramp.

Cabients? the standard marshall JCM900 (slant or straight) will do the job.

Good luck!

• Members

May I ask why I would need several preamps? And as for the Rocktron Piranha....That was not even used in the 80's....How could that cover that stuff? I ask because I don't know.

As for the VHT 2/50/2 power amps....I have two of those. I guess I should have mentioned that earlier.

I have a ProGap V2.0 preamp. It sounds pretty good. I have no idea if it is a reliable unit? Or what the skinny is on this preamp?

I have heard the JMP-1 and ada preamps. I can check some of those out. The thing is...I want it to sound as good as possible for the price I am paying. Otherwise there is no point in getting this stuff.

Will the VHT power amps and the preamps and cabinets you guys mention....hold there own in a live situation? And during a outside large venue as well?

I am the lead player in the band. So I cannot afford to be out gunned so to speak when it comes to playing. I don't want louder....I want the ability to sound good and have headroom if I need it!

But as long as the preamps get 80% close to the tone....I will be happy. The crowd will get the point. I wanna get this stuff put together before next weekend.

Also. Will I need midi pedals? Or atleast one?...I have a Rocktron Midimate

And a Original Blackface Chameleon Preamp processor too. But that thing will not do 80's big hair! Atleast I have not heard any clips to prove that it will.

Mine is just to buzzy.

~David

• Members

Hey digital sandwich,

If you're looking for a guitar rack system to get you those '80s hard rock/ heavy metal tones, check out my monster guitar rack rig:

Guitarrack1.jpg

or my club rig:

Pic080.jpg

The ADA MP-1 preamp has a 3TM mod done by Hairston Bag from ADA Depot. If you're interested in this kick ass preamp mod, go here: www.adadepot.com

Get rid of your Rocktron Pro GAP. That's a very poorly designed preamp. You want a guitar preamp with tubes to create a nice overdriven tube tone for rhythms and lead. The Rocktron Pirahna is great tube guitar preamp. It's a favorite of quite a few well known metal players such as Judas Priest. The Rocktron MIDI Mate is a good MIDI foot controller for switching presets.

The VHT preamps are not my favorite, but the VHT power amps are one of the best you can get.

Having $5,000 for your budget, you can buy a big monster guitar rack filled with top of the line components with guitar cabs, if you're careful how you spend your money. Try out everything that you want to try out before buying. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches later on.

Guitar George

• Members

The ADA MP-1 is a classic piece of gear that can get those tones easily. Only problem with it is that sometimes they can be tempermental and can vary in tonal quality from one unit to the next.

If you insist on an MP-1, send it to Voodoo Amps and have them mod it for you, you'll be glad you did.

Since you've already got VHT 2/50/2's, use those, they're killer.

As for effects, I'd use a G-Major, but with your budget, maybe a G-Force would be a better choice.

If you want something a little simpler that can get you all the tones you are seeking PLUS have good effects, get a Line 6 Pod XT Pro... It's so much better than a Pod Pro that they shouldn't even share the same name. I can get tones out of it that rival my tube gear...

• Members

Wow! These are some great ideas....I appreciate all this help. I know you guys most likely see this coming....But if anyone has a short clip of these preamps doing that 80's tone....I would love to hear it. I know it is all subjective when it comes to tone. But it does help hearing them.

I am gonna go with the two VHT power amps I have. I don't need two...I just got a deal on them as a pair. I figured a great backup incase one KONKS out!

I have the Furman power plus conditioner- Korg digital tuner-

So I am thinking a good preamp and effects unit, maybe a rack eq or two. One before the preamp and one after....That should do it!

And on the Marshall JCM900 cabinets....How do I know they are the 900 cabinets?

Thanks again guys.

~David

• Members

Try a Kitty Hawk preamp if you want the WInger/Scorpions sound. You also should look at the rocktron Pro Gaps. Many players used Alesis Quadraverbs and Midiverbs for efx. Get a Furman PQ3 or PQ4 parametric EQ. Power amp is up to you. My Marshall 9100 has a pretty Poisony vibe to it in "B" voice mode.

• Members

Originally posted by jimosity

If you want something a little simpler that can get you all the tones you are seeking PLUS have good effects, get a Line 6 Pod XT Pro... It's so much better than a Pod Pro that they shouldn't even share the same name. I can get tones out of it that rival my tube gear...

I'm a huge ADA fan (see my rig) so all of the folks recommending them will get no argument from me.

But the XT Pro idea is a truly brilliant suggestion given your substantial budget. You could use it simply as a most excellent FX unit for the preamp or use it as a second preamp with just a huge ton of choices (JCM800/SLO/JMP1/JC120/Spinal Puppet models all fit in very well with 80's tones). The POD's are Solid State but make killer preamps if you're willing spend some the time to dial them in. And since the FX are great that's just bonus if you already have something killer as a primary unit.

• Members

I agree with Guitar George.. the 3TM will get you that 80s Hair metal type music. it has that hotrodded marshally tone that you may be looking for... and trust me, the 3TM modded MP-1 is a must more improvment over the stock MP-1.. yet the stock MP-1 can still do those tones no problem.

I use the 3TM with my rocktron replifex and carvin T100 through a straight marshall JCM800 412 cab and to be honest, alot of people have complimented my tone saying that its one of the best they've heard and its pretty hot rodded marshally tone.

Good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by psychodave

How much do the 3TM MP-1's cost?

$425, which includes the following:

* Fully Modded MP-1 with the ADA Depot 3TM (3-Tube) Mod

* (3) Specialty High-Gain Graded JJ-Tesla ECC83S Tubes

* MOD0.0 (New Revision of the Noise-Mod)

* Battery Mod (New Li Battery and Clip Base)

* Updated EPROM (v2.01)

* New Revision of the Rear Jack Conversion Mod

* Reprinted Manual

Ofcourse you can also buy just the 3TM tube board and install it your self. But the guy who sells/mods the units does one heck of a job. So if you can afford shipping, then go for it. I believe he is out of 3TM tube boards at the moment, but premodded units seem to surface ebay every now and then.

If your interested, check www.adadepot.com's message board. Somebody might have one for sale.

Good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by Duke of Metal

$425, which includes the following:

* Fully Modded MP-1 with the ADA Depot 3TM (3-Tube) Mod

* (3) Specialty High-Gain Graded JJ-Tesla ECC83S Tubes

* MOD0.0 (New Revision of the Noise-Mod)

* Battery Mod (New Li Battery and Clip Base)

* Updated EPROM (v2.01)

* New Revision of the Rear Jack Conversion Mod

* Reprinted Manual

Ofcourse you can also buy just the 3TM tube board and install it your self. But the guy who sells/mods the units does one heck of a job. So if you can afford shipping, then go for it. I believe he is out of 3TM tube boards at the moment, but premodded units seem to surface ebay every now and then.

If your interested, check
www.adadepot.com
's message board. Somebody might have one for sale.

Good luck!

Very interesting. Too bad there is no stock. I would love to buy one to try out. I think it would still be hard to beat out my Piranha though ;)

• Members

with all the talk of multiple pre amps, the want for the best sound for the money and a rather healthy budget, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned using a dmc gcx for switching.

I'd also say mp-1, triaxis or jmp-1...in that order for what I think of as big-hair tone.

• Members

Originally posted by psychodave

Very interesting. Too bad there is no stock. I would love to buy one to try out. I think it would still be hard to beat out my Piranha though
;)

According to the person who designs them (Hairston is his nickname on adadepot), the new production will be around January 2006.

Here's the website he runs:

http://soldercave.twisteddigit.com/

if you want, wait until then and get your hands on one and see what you think of it. If it doesnt end up being somthing you'll use, you can always resell no problem.

Hope that helps!

• Members

Hey David. There's hope, for sure. Some questions, though...what live shows do you do, and where do you do them? What sizes are the stages you're working on? Do you have roadies? Your own soundman? How much time do you have for soundchecks? Load-in? Load-out?

I'd start here before I spend a bunch of money on a bunch of "crap.";) If this is a live rig, be sure you first know what the "live" situation entails.

Nick

• Members

Well it is live all the time. Unless we are in a studio or basement recording. With that said...Our venues vary from place to place. There is no set size. We go from a local small club size to a outside and inside venues with huge stages.

As for sound guys. We hire a soundman when large gigs are played. Otherwise we do our own. Until we find a permenant sound guy.

I just was thinking going rack and speakers would eliminate alot of the money it takes to replace tubes and repair my tube amps. I have had nothing but bad luck with my tube amps.

Another reason is my band mate...The rhythm guitarist. He gives me {censored} about going rack cause he says it is out dated...But I have heard some killer rack systems here. And out. And my era of music is the 80's....But the classic rock is killer too. So since we play everything from AC/DC to ZZTOP......and all inbetween......from pop to hard rock.

So whatever I get. It has to cover those as well as our original stuff.

No we have no roadies...But we have lots of setup and soundcheck time. So that is good. I have not bought one item yet. Still looking. And still tryingout stuff.

~David

• Members

basement recording...local small club size...outside and inside venues with huge stages.

I asked this question because of cartage requirements and stage size. It's hard to pack a full 4x12 stack on a small stage. It's also a pain in the ass packing gear up and down basement steps. You do play larger stages, though, so a 4x12 is going to be necessary.

...We hire a soundman when large gigs are played. Otherwise we do our own.

This is important, because you'll probably want a hot-sounding mono rig. Sound guys don't like miking stereo, WDW, guitar rigs. They'd rather slap a 57 on your amp and call it good. Don't piss off the sound guy, even if you're buying him drinks or passing him some green;)

I just was thinking going rack and speakers would eliminate alot of the money it takes to replace tubes and repair my tube amps. I have had nothing but bad luck with my tube amps.

My advice here is to buy rugged stuff that won't break. Don't forsake the tubes, even going to a preamp/poweramp setup. Solid state preamps, and those that use clipping diodes to help get their tone (JMP-1 and TriAxis included) aren't going to get you where you want to be. You're already off to a good start with the VHT power amp. That's an awesome power amp (I had one) and it has the EL34 power section you'll want to replicate the music you have in mind.

The rhythm guitarist.

Fuck him. This is about your sound. He'll be licking your balls when you've got this dialed in.

And my era of music is the 80's....But the classic rock is killer too. So since we play everything from AC/DC to ZZTOP......and all inbetween......from pop to hard rock.

The suggestions I will make will get you in those ballparks.

No we have no roadies...But we have lots of setup and soundcheck time.

That's too bad about the roadies, but good to hear about setup and soundcheck. Packing your own gear is a PITA, so it's best to make things as portable as possible. I never liked having to struggle with my Ampeg 8x10 cab when I was onstage, with a crowd of people watching me. Even that SVT head was god-awful heavy. If you can just wheel things away, you look more professional, and it keeps your hands and back safer.

Okay, here's what I'd do with your $5,000 investment.

Custom Audio 3+SE Preamp ($1,890 new)

Axess CFX4 Control Function Switcher (about $125 used)

Eventide Eclipse Harmonizer Effects Processor (about $1,500 used)

Marshall 1960B 4x12 cabinet (about $400 used)

Middle Atlantic pedal drawer (maybe $50 or so)

Sdaoust 10-space shockrack with wheels (close to $300)

Axess GRX4 Guitar Router/Switcher ($275)

That puts you at about $4,500. You'll need the rest for cables and stuff.

How would you use this stuff?

You've got the rack solved: this guy makes good stuff. Everyone's happy with his work. $300 for this rack is fine, for now. Get a shock rack, though, with wheels. You've got valuable stuff and need to protect it.

The 3+SE is awesome for your needs. I play a lot of 80s rock and this 3-channel preamp does it right. No one will argue about the quality of this preamp, designed by John Suhr, and voiced to give you the best cleans, AC/DC-style crunch channel, and smoking lead channel. I've owned 2 of them, and sold my last one to buy the OD100SHSE head (the 3+SE in head form). You'll need the Axess CFX4 to switch its channels using your MIDIMATE. Don't settle for less there, either. Get the Axess stuff: it doesn't lose value, and it's bulletproof.

From the 3+SE, plug into the Eclipse. I've owned 2 (stupidly selling my first one, just to have to go out and buy another). Again, no one is going to bad-mouth this unit: it simply sounds great. You'll get the 80s choruses, reverbs, delays. Plus, you get awesome filters, EQ, compression, and modulation stuff. Don't let people scare you by saying it's hard to program. I've had one for about 3 years and I've barely scratched the surface, but the preset algorithms are a great starting place for tweaking to your tastes. Really, it's not bad at all. Some people might tell you that you need a line mixer, but you don't with the Eclipse, because it has awesome converters and I bet you won't be able to tell if it's on or if it's in bypass.

Go out of the Eclipse into the VHT. Again, I owned one, and it's a great mate for the 3+SE/Eclipse rig. Should you add another cabinet, you'd have a killer stereo rig, but it sounds good running one channel too. That amp has the nuts to drive your 4X12 cabinet with no worries and no complaints.

I've also suggested that you get an Axess GRX4. What this unit lets you do is patch in three pedals and lets you control them via MIDI. I have one, and am using a Voodoo-1 distortion, a Zvex SHO boost, and a KR Megavibe in its loops. So, if I want distortion and vibe, without boost, I can have it. If I want boost only, I can have it. If I want none of the above, I can have it. Plus, the GRX4 has a great buffer in it, so you can use long cable lengths from the guitar to the GRX4 without losing fidelity. The GRX4's output goes to the 3+SE input.

I'll attach a couple of pictures of what my rack looked like, and I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have. The 3+SE is a pro preamp that won't give you the noise problems the other preamps suggested here will give you. The Eclipse won't break like the G-Major and is sonically superior to everything else mentioned as well.

Best of luck,

Nick

Rack%20Loaded%20A.JPG

Rack%20Back.JPG

• Members

That setup looks great. And the units you suggested are really good ones. I have been doing research on them. I do have a couple minor questions. Is there a footcontroller for switching the 3+SE? Or will it be better to use it with the midimate and the Axess CFX4 control switcher?

And i notice in your setup...You have a HUSH unit and a BBE Sonic Maximizer as well. Are these units something I should think about as well? Atleast the HUSH unit?

I suppose you also would not happen to have a few sound clips available of this setup? Just asking.

The trouble is finding this stuff. I know Ebay is an idea...any other music stores that carry these units? Or their main websites?

Thanks again. Sounds like I am on the road here to building a good rack setup. Thanks.

~David

Archived