rack pre with good cleans?

morder

• Members

Originally posted by TomcatMF

ADA MP-1 is the best rack preamp ever IMO. I wish someone would start making them again.

Hey TomcatMF,

Have you checked out the ADA Depot? Here is the link:

www.adadepot.com

We have technical support and mods for the MP-1 preamp and other ADA equipment. I currently own 3 ADA MP-1 preamps: 2 3TM modded MP-1 preamps & 1 stock MP-1 (soon to be modded).

Check out the 3TM modded MP-1 preamps that are out. Here are a couple of pictures of mine:

Guitarrack1.jpg

Pic080.jpg

The solid state cleans are like a Roland JC-120, the clean tube overdrives very easily and can be used for a nice bluesy overdrive or rock rhythm, the distorted tube sound has tons of gain, sustain and the eq mod allows you to tune the preamp before using the global eq. It's quite nice and they've fixed the shortcomings of the preamp.

Guitar George

• Members

Originally posted by morder

Is there a cheap rack pre with good cleans around? Preferably some old stuff that's not to fancy or popular, I'm on a budget!
;)

Yamaha PG1s have pretty good cleans, quite a good variety of clean tones with the para-EQ and push/pull pots, come up on eBay regularly for real cheap, under $100.

• Members

Originally posted by ChS

Yamaha PG1s have pretty good cleans, quite a good variety of clean tones with the para-EQ and push/pull pots, come up on eBay regularly for real cheap, under $100.

That may be what I'm looking for.

As I allready have all the distortion and effects I want, the chameleon would be overkill, and it feels wrong to buy a pro gap ultra when I allready have a pro gap. Even though it's something wrong with the AGX on my pro gap, and I need to replace it, I'm afraid that the pro gap ultra may not sound as good as the original, and I'm not taking any chanses.

The mp-1 is cheap, but not that cheap (about $200?)

I'll be looking for a yamaha pg1. Is the PG1 midi programmable?

• Members

I just got a Mesa Boogie STudio preamp and the cleans are KILLER. I also have a few ADA MP1s, stock and modded, tube cleans are good stock, useless once modded. The Solid State cleans are nice too, very jc120ish (I also have a Jc120 head), but they don't even come close to the cleans from the Studio preamp :)

studio.jpg

MJ

• Members

Mesa/boogie preamps aren't exactly cheap, are they?

I'm looking for a cheap preamp to add some good clean tones to my existing setup!

I guess I'll need to build some sort of switching system as well, but I've allready thought about that.

Archived