How do you control the overall volume of your rack?

• Members

Assuming a series setup, how do you control the volume?

Do you use the knobs on the poweramp? Do you use the output level on your effects unit? Do you keep the poweramp maxed, the effects unit at "unity" and use the preamp out?

And then, how do you boost for solos? Do you up the effects unit output, the preamp output or something else?

Reason I ask is that I am looking at getting a G System and using it with my heads that all have the master volume before the effects send. In other words - g system - head preamp - g system effects - head poweramp (similar signal chain to a proper rack).

In the past I have shied away from using rack units in the loop of heads that have the MV b4 the effects send as it's a pain in the ass adjusting the input/output of the rack unit every time I change the volume of the amp. Hence I'm wondering about other methods of regulating the volume.

Thanks

• Members

There is really only two ways to control the volume, either with the power amps output control or by adjusting the level sent to the power amp via unity gain from the effects mixer to the preamp feed. The problem is that you do not have dynamic control - you adjust all your preamp levels to match so that you don't have headroom problems with your effects. So you have one volume regardless of your preset meaning no solo volume boost or quiet presets either.

That is where midi controlled VCA's come into play. With a unit that allows remote volume control without affecting your tone very much. The best unit is the Sound Sculpture Switchblade which is a matrix mixer/switcher and allows the independant control of each loop's volume and routing. That way you can program the output as well as the internal mix of your signals. I used the midi VCA's in the Digital Music System Mix Plus for a while and it worked very well. They are discontinued but still out there. CAE also makes a 1/2 rack stereo midi VCA and Skrydstrup is working on one.

• Members

Originally posted by psychodave

I have multiple patches for solos/boost on my Piranha. After every patch I have an identical one with a volume increase.

+1, thats the way I do it as well. Also, each of my patches have a volume control via the FCB1010.

Archived