ENGL E530, the right preamp for me?

• Members

Ive been reading a lot about the 530 and im intersted. I like the fact that it wasnt made to sound like other amps, and that it's all tube.

My band is mainly progressive metal but we incorporate jazz. Dillinger/Converge/BTBAM.

Im looking for something heavy, thick, and really clear sounding. I want notes to stand out and fly outta the fretboard. Not really interested in br00tal death metal distortion. Is the E530 right for me? Im using a Marshall 9100 poweramp and Ibanez S with an EMg 85.

any other preamp you guys want to suggest checking out?

• Members

I just got a 530 last month for the very same reasons as you.

If you are on a budget, it will totally do everything you discussed. The low and high mid controls really affect the range of tones you can get with it!

Not sure about how it would sound with that poweramp, but with my 2:90 is sounds amazing. Super tight and clear, with lots of harmonics.

• Members

thanks guys. im probably goin to getting the E530 by next month's paycheck.

anywho, my band is also recording our demo around mid January. I can't wait to bring that {censored} in the studio with me.

Agent Cooper, how does the preamp sound when you do sweeps? Hopefully the ENGL can handle tech fiesta music.

• Members

I think you'll be happy with it.

If i could have afforded it, I would have went for the 570, but that is out of my price range and I already have a Triaxis for my other sounds.

I just needed something for the heavy and tight sounds.

I'm not a big sweep guy, but I think it does a great song! It will totally do BTBAM stuff in any case.

• Members

Guys...I've had my 530 for about two years, now. I run it through a Mesa 20/20 poweramp. I've never had complaints about it not having balls, clarity or "thickness." With the el84 tubes in the 20/20 it is lacking a little in the bottom end. I would love to hear it with the Simul 2:90 or the VHT 2/50/2.

I know Engl pretty much designs their stuff around 6L6 power sections--most of their power amps have them. But, I think the EL 34's in a 2/50/2 would do a lot for the bottom end.

Oh...and I play progressive metal. The note clarity is fantastic. The attack is immediate. I think you will find it just about the best tube preamp for around $500.00!

Also, I recently received my finished custom 7 string, and, even on the low B, it maintains its clarity and doesn't mush out. Then, again, that also might have a lot to do with the custom guitar, too. But, I really think you will be very happy.

Keep in mind that the gain in this preamp is not totally located in the gain control. You can have the gain on "10" and if the mid controls are below halfway, you will not seem to have much gain, but as the mid controls are rolled forward the gain comes on like crazy!!

Mike

• Members

Originally posted by cockandball

i played the 530 and think that it lacks gain

It's because the gain isn't totally in the gain control, as with other amps. If either mid control is below about 10 or 11:00, there will be very little gain, even if the gain control is maxed. Also, even if the high mid is maxed and the low mid is below 10:00--same thing and vice-versa.

Try putting all the controls at 12:00 and gradually rolling them upwards. With the Duncan JB in the bridge of my custom guitar, I have no problem competing with my other guitar player's 5150. But, then again, this is also at volume, too. The gain is better with the volume controls up around 10:00-11:00. I have both sides of my 20/20 power amp at around 10-11:00 and my ears can barely handle the preamp volume over 12:00. That helps the gain--although, as you can see, none of those settings really push the tubes, so there is no poweramp distortion, either.

Mike

• Members

to me the 530 doesnt sound as dark as other amps. thats why some people say it doesnt have enough gain. stuff like the recto doesnt have as much gain but due to the voicing it just sounds more menacing. i know for a fact though that the 530 has more gain then a recto. this is my opinion though...

• Members

Originally posted by oddone

to me the 530 doesnt sound as dark as other amps. thats why some people say it doesnt have enough gain. stuff like the recto doesnt have as much gain but due to the voicing it just sounds more menacing. i know for a fact though that the 530 has more gain then a recto. this is my opinion though...

Yes, I don't find it dark at all. I find it very bright. I'm using el 84 tubes in the power amp, which don't really give much bottom end, but the preamp itself is very bright. I have not done "the deep mod" to my 20/20, either, but I'm hoping to switch to an el34 poweramp soon, which I hope will help.

Mike

Archived