Xpression vs G-Major with H&K Triamp

wondo

• Members

I know much has been said about the G-major vs Xpression topic, but would like some feedback.

I recently became the proud owner of the Alex Lifeson Signature Model of the H&K Triamp (Biased Hotter than regular Triamp -much hotter amp). I am planning on running an effects unit with it. I have the MIDI module installed so a unit that does channel switching is not a must since channels can be switched on the Triamp (as well as parallel/series loops) via MIDI. I have narrowed it down to the Xpression and the G-Major. In keepin with Lifeson, he uses the G-force (out of my price range) but I have been a user of a Voodu Valve for years and never have had a single problem with it. So, I am familiar with Rocktron and its reliability (I have read that the G-major has had its fair share of problems). I would be controlling the effects processor with a Rocktron MIDI Mate. I am choosing not to use the Voodu Valve as an effects processor because you cannot bypass the preamp and I do not want to color the Triamp. It is sweet enough as it is. QUESTIONS: Which would be best for me to go with? How should I run an effects in the Triamp -Parallel or Series? Is it okay to use a noise gate in the loop?

What says yee ole' gurus of the Monster Rack?:cool:

• Members

The Xpression can be used with a parallel loop because you can kill all dry signal (unless you're using the HUSH).

The G-Major however was with series loops in mind.

I prefer parallel loops because you retain the direct signal. But parallel loops don't work well with effects that need the whole signal: tremolo, compression, boosts, filters, noise gate.

The next best thing is a series loop with a Rocktron fx device. Because of the internal analog signal path in those devices (when not using HUSH).

Archived