Please suggest cabinets for small stereo rack system

• Members

I am putting together a small stereo rack system for my home studio with a Rocktron Prophesy, a TC Electronic Gmajor, and a Mesa Boogie 20/20 power amp. I have the balanced outs from the prophesy going into a Firepod for recording on my computer.

I am looking for suggestions for cabinets. I would like to have stereo sound and speakers that cover a wide range of sounds from sparkling clean, crunchy, hard classic rock and metal, and modern progressive metal. I have a 4x12 Avatar cab with greenbacks that I use with my Mark IV head - and that sounds nice - but the cab is huge and the amp is LOUD.

Does anyone have any experience with smaller 2x12 rectangles or 1x12 cubes like Avatar or other brands?

Thanks a bunch!

• Members

Haha - you have to find the EVM speakers.

I have an old Music Man HD150 I bought new in high school (circa 1981) and I spent an extra 100 bucks or so on it to get the Electrovoice speaker option. The magnets on those things are huge. That is also a LOUD amp. It has great cleans though.

• Members

I just finished putting together a similar size system and purchased an Avatar 2X12 with Hellatone 30s (broken in G12H30's) wired in 8 ohm stereo. It sounds great to my ears. I've had it for 2 weeks now and couldn't be happier. It was 329 + 34 shipping.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Following up here. I ended up getting a couple of the Mesa-Boogie open-backed wide-body cabinets with C90's and they sound wonderful. These also can team up nicely with my Mark IV head if I want. I had the Mark IV going into a 4x12 Avatar cab, and traded the Avatar cab in as part of the deal. I got pretty close to what I payed for the Avatar cab (used) on the trade-in so I am a happy camper.

• Members

Originally posted by Gribs

Following up here. I ended up getting a couple of the Mesa-Boogie open-backed wide-body cabinets with C90's and they sound wonderful. These also can team up nicely with my Mark IV head if I want. I had the Mark IV going into a 4x12 Avatar cab, and traded the Avatar cab in as part of the deal. I got pretty close to what I payed for the Avatar cab (used) on the trade-in so I am a happy camper.

What did you pay for the Mesa widebody cabs? New?

• Members

Some ODD suggestions :

find a used SWR WM110T, and replace the original driver with an Eminence Ramrod 10. Being a bass reflex cabinet, it has a big thumping low end that sound great for heavier stuff.

The mini Marshall stacks with a pair of 1x10 cabs show up on eBay regularly. A Celestion Vintage 10 (like a baby V30) sounds good in these, although I had to replace the back on mine with a 1/2" plywood back (the original is fiberboard), to eliminate rattle at high volumes.

Both are light and great performers, they sound much bigger than their small size would lead you to expect, and will keep up with a drummer who isn't super loud.

• Members

Originally posted by stratton

What did you pay for the Mesa widebody cabs? New?

They were about 359 each new. Not cheap, but still less than the Bogner cubes I was also looking at (around 400 each). They sound really nice and given Mesa quality and the amount of use they will get (I am a EE who farts around in his home studio, no gigging), should be a lifetime investment.

Archived