Replacing a Marshall 6100 with JMP1 or ENGL530

• Members

I got the 6100 when I was obsessed with Tool, and I still love them, but make fairly different music.

Its too big and clunky and loud.

--

I now play as a DJ/mashup producer and play very aggressive hardcore digital funk with an MC and live guitars.

Particularly bearing in mind we have an ace slap bassist joining, and are getting a drummer, I need some really functional low end.

It also needs to be good for recording.

INFLUCENCES: Asian Dub Foundation, Prodigy and Mad Capsule Markets (tonally)

But also Smashing Pumpkins and Tool take some hold over structure..

- Basically, should I go for a JMP1 or the ENGL 530?

It needs to have a good chunky low end, tonal versatility and good recording capabilities, and have a sound that while doing downtuned thick riffs (with good definition) also needs to be good for processing and {censored}ing up)

Listen to the heavy guitar MCM use (I want a bit heavier though), and some of the more processed sound of ADF and Prodigy for influence..

The low end is still essential though, this need to sound HEAVY..

Thanks very much

Alex. J. Holland

• Members

its not really my thing.

strangly enough, i play through a marshall 6100 head most of the time.

the jmp1 is a bit too metal/rock sounding for me and at the time when i bought it i thought 100 patches? great! but the problem is, i'm too lazy to write the patches, so i stick to 3 channels now ;)

the recording out/speaker sim does sound pretty great too, i've used it to do some overdubs.

theres a guy on the amp forum with the name billycorgon(no, not THE billy corgon) and he can do wonders with his jmp1.

arnyhoo, if your interested, i'm looking for around

• Members

What do you think of the 6100 and what do you do with it? I'm eager to know, cos not many people are in the positioning of having both, and being able to compare.

I HATE shreddy type metal, I'm looking for more brutal low end with good definition.

Like Mad Capsule Markets but heavier.. Or like Tool but with more gain.. Or Rage with more power..

They are all great influences on my playing.. I like to rip it up in a way not dissimiliar from Mr Morello..

• Members

i find the 6100 to be generally a quite a lot brighter in the upper mids and overall a lot more compressed sounding, the jmp1 is a bit more open.

i'd say the jmp1 is definatly suited better to metal riffs and low end 'chug' than the 6100.

• Members

Hey I like your band too, you've got influence from some of the melody's of those bands you list as influences, but with a much more dreamy, thoughtful structure and sound..

I don't like most of the band's you've listed, but you guy's sound real good! Good balance between styles and such, and excellent production!

• Members

is that 2 guitars? If so which is yours?

Looks like I AM trading in for a JMP1 man, looking foward to it very much, I can see where summer jobs going.. rack FX, rack EQ etc.. lol..

So yeah you were SPGUITAR on the forum, yeah? If they get a comeback maybe the board will start again lol. Shotgun my name! Or i could be a {censored} and go back and get all the classic name and ebay them back to you.. lol..

• Members

Originally posted by AlexJHolland

is that 2 guitars? If so which is yours?

Looks like I AM trading in for a JMP1 man, looking foward to it very much, I can see where summer jobs going.. rack FX, rack EQ etc.. lol..

So yeah you were SPGUITAR on the forum, yeah? If they get a comeback maybe the board will start again lol. Shotgun my name! Or i could be a {censored} and go back and get all the classic name and ebay them back to you.. lol..

I panned 1 PRS left 75% and 1 PRS right 75%.

Yup i'm spguitar :thu:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived