Jump to content

Tube preamp/poweramp(piranha and 50/50) as good as tube head???


Recommended Posts

  • Members

I have a Egnater/Rocktron TOL 100 head which i love the tone and midi integration......BUT i also use a couple of multieffects processors. I find setting this all up tedious and i'm wondering if i should sell it and get a peavey 50/50 and a rocktron piranha? I had a triaxis and 2:90 a while back and i just was never that happy with the tone. In retrospect it might have been the Boogie tone i didn't like. Anyways you guys are the only experts on the subject i can find. What do you think??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Do you have an opportunity to try the equipment out in advance? I have been moving away from a pedal/head setup to an all-rack rig and love the flexibility...although it's way to easy to get carried away with experimenting, buying a bunch of stuff I don't need! I haven't tried any of the Rocktron preamps or heads, only their processors and gates. Are you looking for full MIDI control? In a rack setup, would you be running your effects processors in the effects loop, or between the preamp and power amp? All effects loops are definitely *not* created equal, and again, I'm not sure about the Rocktron preamps. I run my Rocktron Multivalve effects unit between the preamp and power amp, but use my Hush in the effects loop.

 

The Peavey Classic power amps seem to play nice for just about everything I've run through them. I have a Classic 60 mono version right now and it gets a great tube tone even with just a distortion pedal. And just to throw another idea at you, the discontinued Peavey Rockmaster has dedicated loops for each channel *and* a master loop...but no MIDI control.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Unfortunately i am unable to try anything out in advance. I really would like everything to be midi integrated. i have heard great things about the peavey classic series poweramps. Anyone have opinions on the Voodoo modded ADA MP-1?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Not sure about the Voodoo mods, but I just picked up an MP-1 that the previous owner performed the 3.666 mod on as found in the adadepot.com mod section. I haven't spent much time with the MP-1 yet, but the effects loop seems to deaden the tone a bit. Of course, there's a mod for that too. Lots of good sounds in it overall, although I wouldn't want to do a lot of tweaking to the EQ settings in the middle of a gig.

 

I think you're definitely on the right track with the Rocktron preamps if you're looking to get the most features in a relatively small package. So far, the ART DST-4 is my favorite rack pre, but it's only tube on the clean channel, and the effects section is pretty limited compared to newer hardware.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by rpurdue

Anyone have opinions on the Voodoo modded ADA MP-1?

 

I had one and sold it. Nothing against Trace & co, it's a good preamp, I just prefer my MP-1 with the Mod4MkII mod. The Mod4MkII has more of a hotrodded JCM800 tone and sounded way more "alive" for lack of a better descriptor than the Voodoo modded one. However, if cleans are important to you, the Voodoo mod is excellent. The Mod4 and 3TM render the tube cleans useless, but they still have a solid state clean setting that's actually quite good (think Jazz Chorus). Go here -> www.adadepot.com

 

I just got a 3TM board after a VERY long wait and will be building that this weekend. :cool:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by Inazone

I haven't spent much time with the MP-1 yet, but the effects loop seems to deaden the tone a bit. Of course, there's a mod for that too. Lots of good sounds in it overall, although I wouldn't want to do a lot of tweaking to the EQ settings in the middle of a gig.

 

 

Yeah, the stock effects loops on those are tone-suckers for sure. Why would you have to tweak it in the middle of a gig? Setup a bunch of presets beforehand and switch between them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by Inazone

Not sure about the Voodoo mods, but I just picked up an MP-1 that the previous owner performed the 3.666 mod on as found in the adadepot.com mod section. I haven't spent much time with the MP-1 yet, but the effects loop seems to deaden the tone a bit. Of course, there's a mod for that too. Lots of good sounds in it overall, although I wouldn't want to do a lot of tweaking to the EQ settings in the middle of a gig.


I think you're definitely on the right track with the Rocktron preamps if you're looking to get the most features in a relatively small package. So far, the ART DST-4 is my favorite rack pre, but it's only tube on the clean channel, and the effects section is pretty limited compared to newer hardware.

 

Yes I agree about the effects loop being a tone sucker. I had my Noise Gate in there and I noticed the really lowend has sucked out. I took it out and it came back.

 

Not sure if mine was modded or not.

 

 

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by dmtnt



Yeah, the stock effects loops on those are tone-suckers for sure. Why would you have to tweak it in the middle of a gig? Setup a bunch of presets beforehand and switch between them.

 

 

I've played some shows where it became apparent early on that the sound guy was grossly incompetent (drunk) and couldn't dial in a decent guitar mix to save his life. I have a rack EQ that I keep bypassed most of the time, that I have set up for exactly those situations.

 

It's truly a non-issue most of the time. I'm just so used to pushing one button or turning one knob I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

1. I've never found an effects loop that sounded as good as "literal efx between the preamp and power amp."

 

2. The piranha totally screams

 

3. Power amps all sound wildly different.

 

4. The peavey 50/50 is pretty exceptional. It easily hangs with my marshall 9100 and even sound a bit smoother.

 

If you're not on the verge of eviction, buying equipment {censored}ing rules.

 

go for it.:thu:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Is the loop on your head switchable?

 

I use an amp gizmo to "midiize" my bogner XTC. I run a GRX4 before the amps in to handle the true bypass midi switching of my OD pedals (TS9 and MT2, both Keeley) and then in the loop of the XTC I run a g-major.

 

I mostly use the g-major for ambient type effects or for the generic chorus/delay/verb on clean sounds. For "in your face tones", I just have my patches setup to bypass the FX loop on the amp, thus no tone suckage. It works pretty good.

 

-W

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You'll almost certainly like the Piranha if you like the Egnater, I'd think. The Piranha is well regarded here at HC and is generally a really good sounding preamp. Just a really solid unit. They can be a little hard to track down, sometimes but I doubt you'd regret it.

 

The MP-1 is a great preamp, too. I like it quite bit unmodded and would actually consider that before just immediately assuming it needs a mod that affects the tone (like 3TM, Mk4, Voodoo, et al). FWIW, I think a stock MP-1 DOES need the noise mod and FX loop mod for best performance, though (both of which are VERY easy to do and well documented at www.adadepot.com). I love the stock unit when the noise has been tamed, it sounds better than the Voodoo MP-1, IMHO.

 

Also, if you can, check out an MP-1 Classic, that's the superstar of the ADA line-up, IMHO. It's got a really useful extra voicing ("Brown Tube"), a great noise gate, cab emulated output, improved FX loop (stereo, too) and slightly more gain than the original. Simply a fantastic pre.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...