Arrrrgh! Yet another question about poweramps!!

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm so confused about poweramps now. I have an old ADA Microfet its ok but its just missing the warmth I want. I want to get into tubes.

I do not want a huge monterous poweramp. I thought maybe a Marshall 2020 was the answer....Nope, too much reliability issues for me, and I don't like the tubes buried in the chassis I want them to get airflow.

Thought Mesa 2020 was the answer, but now everywhere I read EL 84s are not heavy enough to do metal (Iron Maiden, Ozzy)not detuned stuff.

I need a smaller poweramp, I don't need my ears bleeding and want to do tubes... WHAT THE HELL DO I DO!??

What I liked about the Mesa/Marshall was the small footprint one rack space and the cheap tubes. Mesa has the fixed bias, I like that a lot. BUT I don't want a weak bottom which everyone says EL84s have.

I don't play Death Metal I want a full smooth sound that palm mutes well and fills out my JMP1.

What am I looking for?? Would the Mesa fit the bill, there is no where I can try one so I need some advice. 50 watts seems like overkill and too expensive for me. One this is for sure my ears are SICK of SS.

I read all the reviews and some said it was perfect some said it was too weak.

HELP!

• Members

Higher powered valve power amps might be an option if you use something like a Marshall PowerBrake after them to bring the volume down.

Might open up some amps you like the sound of but are worried about the volume overkill.

Good luck.

• Members

i was exactly in the same boat as you.

I used a jmp1 together with a 20/20. the lead tone was great but i found that there was just no solid bottom end which i wanted.

i just sold the 20/20 today, and am looking at the vht 2/50/2 or the mesa stereo 2:fifty

• Members

fixed bias is a ploy to make you use their tubes and to keep you from resetting the bias incorrectly thus eliminating a chance at failure.

you need a marshall 9100. airflow for miles.

It's 50 watts a side. It spans from bedroom volume to earth shattering.

P2260013.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

Get the 2 space VHT 2502 and be done with it. EL34's based and amazing. You mention maiden and Ozzy.....well both are based around EL34's power tubes (Marshall power section) (except maybe zakk....using 5881's). You won't regret it and won't ever have to go looking for another poweramp....buy the right stuff the first time.

• Members

If you're on a budget, try the peavey classic 50/50.

It's an EL34 based 50w per side. It has the resonance controls to go with presence like VHT and Mesa amps have. I find that the marshalls lack that feature, which makes them seem to have less bottom at lower volumes.

The peavey sounds great, it's not quite as good as a VHT, but it can be had for under $400.

-W

• Members

Originally posted by starsnuffer

If you're on a budget, try the peavey classic 50/50.

It's an EL34 based 50w per side. It has the resonance controls to go with presence like VHT and Mesa amps have. I find that the marshalls lack that feature, which makes them seem to have less bottom at lower volumes.

The peavey sounds great, it's not quite as good as a VHT, but it can be had for under $400.

-W

hey man,

Actully.. the Peavey 50/50 has EL84s.. not EL34s. :p

Cheers

• Members

No, the peavey 60/60 has EL84's. The 50/50 has EL34's. Trust me, I just retubed it
;)

-W

hmm.. well, unless yours is modded, I can tell you the 60/60 takes 6L6s (I owned one) and the 50/50 takes EL84s (I've helped a friend of mine retube one).

Also, EL34s have less pins on them than EL84s. So unless your Peavey 50/50 is modded and had all the power tubes sockets repalced, there is no way you can fit EL34s in an EL84 socket.

If you put EL34s in a Peavey 60/60, then your asking for trouble as it'll blow up the Output transformers.

Cheers

• Members

Doh, you're right, I'm an idiot.

Mine is a 60/60. It probably did have 6L6's in it. I use KT77's which work for either 6L6 or EL34, which was probably how I got confused.

After looking, I do actually have a 50/50 as well in my backup rack, but I've never opened it up to see what is in it. I use it for bigger gigs when I have to triamp or run multiple cabs slaved, so since I never mic those speakers and use it mostly for stage monitoring I guess it doesn't matter much

Sorry!

-W

• Members

Doh, you're right, I'm an idiot.

Mine is a 60/60. It probably did have 6L6's in it. I use KT77's which work for either 6L6 or EL34, which was probably how I got confused.

After looking, I do actually have a 50/50 as well in my backup rack, but I've never opened it up to see what is in it. I use it for bigger gigs when I have to triamp or run multiple cabs slaved, so since I never mic those speakers and use it mostly for stage monitoring I guess it doesn't matter much

Sorry!

-W

No problem bro! :thu:

the only thing.. you gotta be careful when using an EL34 type tube in a 6L6 spot. Where did you get the KT77s from? see, i was looking to use something else other than 6L6s in my old peavey 60/60 when I had it and i was told that I cant since the transformers cant handle EL34s current draw.

Maybe the KT77s you got were tested to be a replacement for 6L6s.. no?

Cheers

• Members

Originally posted by Duke of Metal

No problem bro!
:thu:

the only thing.. you gotta be careful when using an EL34 type tube in a 6L6 spot. Where did you get the KT77s from? see, i was looking to use something else other than 6L6s in my old peavey 60/60 when I had it and i was told that I cant since the transformers cant handle EL34s current draw.

Maybe the KT77s you got were tested to be a replacement for 6L6s.. no?

Cheers

kt77's are MUCH closer to EL34's. they are like el34 replacements actually. They aren't really compatible with a 6L6 amp without modding.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger

kt77's are MUCH closer to EL34's. they are like el34 replacements actually. They aren't really compatible with a 6L6 amp without modding.

Yeah.. thats what I thought. But if I were correctly, i was talking to Doug @ www.dougstubes.com one time about the KT77s and he said some of them can be a replacement for 6L6 but they'd have to be hand picked. But mainly, they are direct EL34 replacement.

• Members

I got mine from torres engineering.

Here's the info from his website:

--------------------------------

The MOV valve company designed the KT77 as an EL34-super high end replacement, simular to the KT66 as a replacment for the 6L6

These new JJ KT77 tubes are amazing - super high quality big, full tone with really great treble, midrange and bass response - an "Ultimate EL34".

A drop in replacment for EL34 tubes in your Marshall or any amp using them.

BUT - not everyone notices this -

They will also drop in to an amp wired for 6L6's WITHOUT HAVING TO REWIRE THE TUBE SOCKET. They do not need to have pin 1 connected to Pin 8 to operate - cool

BUT not everyone will notice this either -their impedence is different from an EL34. They will match up to a 6L6 output transformer perfectly!!

SO if you have an amp with 6L6 power tubes and want the EL34 sound, just plug them in and set the bias - no other concerns - very cool!

We are going to be using these tubes A LOT!!

These tubes will work in any amp using EL34, 6CA7, 6L6, 5881, KT66, Kt77 tubes, vintage or current manufacture - including: Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Torres Engineering, Vox, Alamo, Kalamazoo, HiWatt, Orange, Silvertone, Supro, Sound City, Matt, Traynor, Carvin, Silvertone, Bogen, Gretsch, Harmony, Valco, Wards, Airline, Kay, Krank, B-52, Ibanez, Epiphone, Crate, Ampeg, Danelectro, Peavey, Washburn, Sovtek, EH, Matchless, Mesa Boogie, Soldano, Park, Sundown, Rivera, Acoustic, Bogner, Sunn, Kitty Hawk, Laney,Top Hat, Trainwreck, Yamaha, Groove Tubes, MusicMan, Garnet, Selmer, Aims, Standel, Magnatone, Masco, Premier, Univox, Valco, Sho-Bud, Watkins, Tiesco, Dynacord - and lots more!

----------------------------

I did have my amp biased when I put them in (as always).

No problems so far.

-W

• Members

I got mine from torres engineering.

Here's the info from his website:

--------------------------------

The MOV valve company designed the KT77 as an EL34-super high end replacement, simular to the KT66 as a replacment for the 6L6

These new JJ KT77 tubes are amazing - super high quality big, full tone with really great treble, midrange and bass response - an "Ultimate EL34".

A drop in replacment for EL34 tubes in your Marshall or any amp using them.

BUT - not everyone notices this -

They will also drop in to an amp wired for 6L6's WITHOUT HAVING TO REWIRE THE TUBE SOCKET. They do not need to have pin 1 connected to Pin 8 to operate - cool

BUT not everyone will notice this either -their impedence is different from an EL34. They will match up to a 6L6 output transformer perfectly!!

SO if you have an amp with 6L6 power tubes and want the EL34 sound, just plug them in and set the bias - no other concerns - very cool!

We are going to be using these tubes A LOT!!

These tubes will work in any amp using EL34, 6CA7, 6L6, 5881, KT66, Kt77 tubes, vintage or current manufacture - including: Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Torres Engineering, Vox, Alamo, Kalamazoo, HiWatt, Orange, Silvertone, Supro, Sound City, Matt, Traynor, Carvin, Silvertone, Bogen, Gretsch, Harmony, Valco, Wards, Airline, Kay, Krank, B-52, Ibanez, Epiphone, Crate, Ampeg, Danelectro, Peavey, Washburn, Sovtek, EH, Matchless, Mesa Boogie, Soldano, Park, Sundown, Rivera, Acoustic, Bogner, Sunn, Kitty Hawk, Laney,Top Hat, Trainwreck, Yamaha, Groove Tubes, MusicMan, Garnet, Selmer, Aims, Standel, Magnatone, Masco, Premier, Univox, Valco, Sho-Bud, Watkins, Tiesco, Dynacord - and lots more!

----------------------------

I did have my amp biased when I put them in (as always).

No problems so far.

-W

hmm.. I'll look into it also and see. Hey, if you were able to plug them in your 60/60, crank it and its still working, then maybe the guys from Torress are correct.

Cheers

Archived