Marshall 9100 vs Carvin TS100

• Members

So can you tell me which one can be a good choice for home playing and amateur recording?

The Marshall 9100 (6L6 tubes) is a veritable heavy-weight athlet. It's 20 kilo and 3u. It's a hunderd bucks cheaper, but not a very comfortable thing to carry around. The Carvin (EL34 tubes) may be more comfortable in that regard. I must say I have to buy only a new one, because it will be cheaper than getting used ones on eBay (due to the weight that increases the delivery price tremendously).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. :)

• Members

marshall has one problem

many tubes are too tall for the casing. It ends up taking up four rack spaces when you remove the top panel. (unless you have it in the top spot of the rack, which I don't recommend).

the 9100 is earth-shatteringly loud. noticably louder than my mesa 2:fifty.

I miss the punch of the 9100.

remember, tube choice is crucial. the sovtek 5881's always had a fuzzy treble hat couldn't be dialed out (NO MATTER WHAT, even with the presence and treble on zero on everything, there was a harshness that wouldn't go away.). JJ 6L6's fixed that, but like I said, I had to remove the top panel b/c the JJ's are taller than the 5881's.

I've never played the carvin.

• Members

Ok, apparently, my choice is not very big I can buy a new Carvin ($1100) or Tube Works Provalve on eBay ($300+$200=$500)+rewinding of the transformer - $50, hm-m-m... and some tube replacement...

$550 for the used ProValve

$1100 for a new Carvin

unfortunalelly the Marshall 9100 is excluded

I think I need to get the ProValve if it is the same class as the Carvin or 9100. What do you think?

Honeslty, I've grown too tired without a good rack poweramp. But here they are not sold. Neither new nor used. :(

• 2 months later...
  • Members

BTW, for recording, I really like the Marshall 9100/Carvin Quad-Xamp combination -- Can get any combination of tones out of it and it's very controllable.

I gigged for a couple of years using this setup and it was definitely sweet. I ran one channel through a 2x2 Celestion cabinet, and the other through a 1x18" Carvin cab. The bassist used to get 'pissed at me' for stomping on his frequencies.

It works well in a rack, but it's a bit heavy. The 9100 had 5881s, which are known for high end, and the Quad-X/18" broadcast the humpin' bass frequencies.

Quite a combo! I got both units new, years ago. The 9100 was ~900 USD new and the X-amp was 575 USD (this was in ~1990)

• Members

There are many things that I wish and that I can afford by the price. The Marshall 9100 is one of them, but it is first too loud for home playing and second it's too tall to keep it in my rack at home :( i'm beginning to think I have to throw away something out of my furniture to have more room for new things I get now and then. I'm gonna sell my big heavy combo as soon as I bring my being buit rack in order.

Meanwhile I got a Marshall el84 20/20.

Archived