Need help on choosing power-amp!!!

spcv

• Members

I have a Marshall 8008 power amp which I went for over the 8004 for two reasons. 80w per side into 4 Ohms as opposed to 40w, plus the 8008 has volume controls while the 8004 hasn't.

A nice feature of the Marshall 8008 and 8004 power amps is that they are switchable between Linear and Valvestate modes. The Valvestate mode is designed to emulate the tonal response of a valve power amp (although no-one's going to be fooled into believing you're using an all valve rig) while the linear mode is a flatter eq response more suitable for powering monitors etc (possibly better suited to the Sansamp PSA-1 as that already has tube emulation).

The Rocktron (reading about it here ) features some tube emulation stuff as well but doesn't mention an option to switch it off into a flat response mode like the Marshall can.

Personally, I've not tried the Rocktron but I'd take it on spec alone over the 8004 as it has volume controls plus it puts 55w a side out with 4 Ohms loads giving more headroom but I'd take an 8008 over both.

Only real answer is to try them both if you can. Good luck.

• Members

For good value SS power amps, I'd also consider:

Carvin DCM-150

for flat/PA style

or

if you want a guitar-voiced power amp:

MosValve MV-962.

The 40W/channel Marshall may be surprisingly low output when it comes down to it.... Plus, I've heard fairly decent things about the Velocity, so I'd take that over the 8004 if those are the only two choices. :)

At one point I was considering an ART SLA-1 for a PA style power amp (along with the DCM-150) as well... didn't have much info, but they look really compelling also.

• Members

Thanks, guys! Unfortunately, those are the 2 only options at the moment.

Elric, I wish I could get a Mosvalve to pair it with the PSA-1, but I can't find them here (I live in Portugal).

Gorgon, thanks for the useful tips. I didn't know that the 8004 doesn't have master volume. I guess that's a minus for it, since the PSA-1 doesn't have one either... It's just that I've heard that the Velocity overheats a lot!

• Members

Originally posted by spcv

It's just that I've heard that the Velocity overheats a lot!

Two things you can do to alleviate that.

1) Leave a rack space above the Rocktron. ie 3 or 4u rack with PSA at the top, velocity at the bottom.

2) If that's not enough then stick a fan in the rack - a bit of forced air cooling should work wonders.

Good luck with it.

• Members

Originally posted by spcv

So you guys think that the best bet would be the Velocity, huh? I forgot to mention that I'll be using it mainly at home... So volume won't be a problem...

Can you try them both out with your PSA and whatever speakers you'll be using as A/B testing is the only real way to tell?

I also double checked that link I gave above and it mentions some thermal protection circuitry in the Velocity so if it cuts out while at home to stop burning out, then that's not really a problem, just a pain.

If using purely at home, I'd really advise trying them both as it really comes down to the sound and your preference. If you're going to take this out in front of people at some point then the Velocity is a winner for me as it's got more headroom.

Archived