Boss VF-1

• Members

Just got it this mornig. Initial review not at gigging levels.

The COSM preamps with the cab sim and efx off sounds good thru my Peavey Classis 60/60 and Mesa Thieles w/EVs.

Intelligent harmonizer tracks okay until you bend a note, two harmonies but BOTH in mono only.

No tap tempo delay.

Jun

• Members

Tried the VF-1 in series last night. Really nice tape echo sims, overall a very inspiring efx. With the hi-z input on the front and low-z on the back it's half guitar processor and half studio efx unit (has s/pdif out). There's a 'global midi' clock but no tap tempo? Why?

The preamp sims thru a Legacy half stack sounded pretty convincing but obviously the feel of a tube pre wasn't there.

Jun

• Members

Originally posted by tats_dragon

Tried the VF-1 in series last night. Really nice tape echo sims, overall a very inspiring efx. With the hi-z input on the front and low-z on the back it's half guitar processor and half studio efx unit (has s/pdif out). There's a 'global midi' clock but no tap tempo? Why?

The preamp sims thru a Legacy half stack sounded pretty convincing but obviously the feel of a tube pre wasn't there.

Jun

Latest firmware update adds tap tempo. I don't have a link but you should be able to search or google it. If you can't find it, I should be able to dig up details, since I have successfully updated my VF-1.

• Members

Just checked the Roland site for 1.12 OS upgrade. My VF-1 is 1.13. What is the newest version?

Played the VF-1 in a wet/dry setup last night with the best results. Definately my second favorite if you can't go W/D/W. You don't get he whacky stereo panning stuff but the sound is more 'natural' sounding.

Jun

• Members

Originally posted by tats_dragon

Just checked the Roland site for 1.12 OS upgrade. My VF-1 is 1.13. What is the newest version?

Played the VF-1 in a wet/dry setup last night with the best results. Definately my second favorite if you can't go W/D/W. You don't get he whacky stereo panning stuff but the sound is more 'natural' sounding.

Jun

Yours is the latest. You should have TAP(NRM) option available in the delay parameters when setting delay times. That will allow you to set delay tempos with a Boss/Roland FS-5U unlatched footswitch. They're fairly cheap, IIRC. I've never used the tap feature, myself but was aware of its existence/use. If you want more help on it, you could also consider signing up for one of the two Yahoo VF1 user groups. There may be someone with more direct experience with that specific feature since it is essentially undocumented.

• Members

Yup, the VF-1 is a cool little box but definitely off the radar screen for most. In fact, I don't think Boss ever really marketed it well/properly even when it was their flagship processor. That's one reason why they're such a bargain on the used market

Anyway, yeah, the Yahoo group is definitely quiet/deadish, but it's still searchable which is something every forum needs to be useful. ;).

• Members

VF-1 is definitely a high quality efx unit.

Now that we use in ear monitors, I wanted to use the VF-1 and a Spirit Notepad mixer in a mic'ed wet/dry/wet rig but unfortunately you have to step 4 times for tap tempo delay, which is about 2 too many.

I really like the 20 different delays in the 'multi tap delay' algorithm (up to 2800ms).

Editing is pretty simple and straight forward.

Jun

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've got the VF-1. Very nice sounding unit. I got it a few months ago and today was the first time I sat down and experimented with it.l

I'm using it with the effects loop of my Powerball. I ran 50% wet and 50% dry because I avoid going through the AD, DA converters.

Archived