One big rack or multiple small racks???

mfergel

• Members

Originally posted by Duke of Metal

I have a 4 and a 6 space. the 4 space has my poweramp in it and thats it. the 6 space has my effects, router, power conditioner, preamp.. and the 6 space is still lighter than the 4 space
:p

Cheers

Man. What kind of power amp are you using that takes up 4 spaces Duke? I'm guessing you probably have two MP-1's in your 6 space. I know those things are a bit on the heavy side. For me, I'm pretty sure it's mostly my Peavey Classic 50/50 and the case itself that are teh big problems as not only is it 10 spaces but it's also a deep case.

• Members

I went multiple.

I have an 8 space rack for gigs, a 6 space rack for home stuff and a 4 space rack for my power amp. I tried using a 8 space rack to include my power amp, but it was way too heavy. I think the best thing is to have a separate rack from the power amp.

• Members

Depends on where your gigs are. If you don't have to climb a lot of stairs, those SKB racks with the built in wheels and extendable handle are great. If you have to climb stairs, then multiple small racks are great.

I hate connecting things at a gig, so I always prefer to have to do as little cabling as possible. I have a headcase with a built in 6 space rack for that purpose. All my pedals are in the rack controlled by midi loopers, so the only thing I have to connect at a gig is my guitar, speaker cabs, and the footcontroller. It is a bitch to move up stairs though.

-W

• Members

I have two 6U racks...one has just my power amp, and the other has everything else.

Putting all the pieces in one rack just didn't make sense weight-wise. I keep my gear in my basement, and I don't have any roadie help. I don't own anything I can't move myself, and that meant two smaller racks.

Plugging in isn't that tough..speaker cables and the line from the top rack are all that go into rack 2, and the AC line from rack2 and the midi cable is all that goes into rack 1.

• Members

I have one 6space for my main preamp and effects (power conditioner, line mixer, ISP Decimator, Intellifex and Triaxis).

One 4 space for power amp (Mesa 2:100)

I have another 4space for home/taking to jam sessions (Engl 530, ADA MP1, Xpression, Mesa 20/20)

I also have a big 10 space, but found it was just too heavy with everything in it.

• Members

Originally posted by mfergel

Man. What kind of power amp are you using that takes up 4 spaces Duke? I'm guessing you probably have two MP-1's in your 6 space. I know those things are a bit on the heavy side. For me, I'm pretty sure it's mostly my Peavey Classic 50/50 and the case itself that are teh big problems as not only is it 10 spaces but it's also a deep case.

my poweramp is a VHT 2502, which is only 2 spaces. i leave 1 space above and 1 space under for air circulation. I have black 1 space panels on each empty space.

The 6 space has the following (in order):

- ART power conditioner

- Rocktron Replifex

- 3/4 Empty space

- ADA MP-1 3TM

- more empty space

i am still waiting for my Rocktron hush IICX to arrive and that will take a space on its own.

Cheers

• Members

I am also thinking of going from an 8 space rack to 2 X 4 spaces.

Does anybody know about connectors that we can use in the back of the rack and connect the cables comming from the other rack to it rather than straight into the units ?

This way once we need to connect the two racks simpy hook the cables from the connector in rack A to the connector in rack B and obviously these connectors are permanently plugged into the units.

I have seem someone using it here, but I don;t know the name or where to get it.

Many thanks in advance.

• Members

Originally posted by prodrigu

I am also thinking of going from an 8 space rack to 2 X 4 spaces.

Does anybody know about connectors that we can use in the back of the rack and connect the cables comming from the other rack to it rather than straight into the units ?

This way once we need to connect the two racks simpy hook the cables from the connector in rack A to the connector in rack B and obviously these connectors are permanently plugged into the units.

I have seem someone using it here, but I don;t know the name or where to get it.

Many thanks in advance.

A very interesting idea!

• Members

i use 1 15u rack. and it is pretty damn heavy, i can only just lift it on my own.

i dont have a poweramp in it though, i use my amp head for both pre and poweramp and the rack having just effects, pedals and other preamps in it.

at one point i did have a marshall el34 100/100 in it.

now that was insane, i couldnt lift it at all, it was a struggle with two if us!

that lasted one gig. one with stairs. after that i used the 15u as i do now with the el34 in a seperate 4u. mind you i sold the poweramp soon after because it was just too heavy to carry about along with 2 cabs and an amp head.

• Members

Originally posted by mfergel

Thoughts? Right now, I have a 10 space rack and it's a pain in the butt to haul/carry. I was thinking of at least going with two 4 or 6 space racks. Anyone else come across the same problem? What was your decision?

I have my Power amp in a seperate 4 space rack. Effects and switching stuff in a 20 space rack. WAY TOO heavy with the amp in it.

• Members

Originally posted by hefonthefjords

why in the hell do none of you have castors?

is there some unwritten rule that its not cool to have castors or something?

Castors don't always work depending on what kind of vehicle you are hauling that rack in.

Archived