Rocktron Prophesy Presets

MikeInNM

• Members

Didn't really want to replace the Prop II presets but rather scan the Prop I presets and extract a few.

Oddly the Prophesy II has very few clean sound presets.

I use a midi pedal with 10 buttons. I can switch banks but that's a pain so I use a pre-amp switcher and 3 preamps. Gives me 30 sounds plus layering in an instant.

I keep 5 clean sounds on the top row and 5 crunchy, lead type on the bottom.

I could only use 3 of the clean Prophesy II presets out of about 5 total. I spoke to the guy at Rocktron and he said the Prop I had many more clean presets.

The Voodu Valve I have also has many more clean sounds so I'm thinking this Prop II should be capable.

• Members

Ya' know Cooker I probably will give it a shot. It is not an easy task on the Rocktron line. At least not the Voodu Valve or Prophesy. Not as easy as my JMP-1.

It does kind of chap me having spent a grand on a pre-amp that has probably 100+ distortion variations (many sounding almost identical) and 20 totally unusuable (what were you thinking type) garbage presets and about 6 or 7 clean sounds.

Seems a bit impractical and out of balance.

But yeah' I've got several preset locations I sure don't mind writing over.

PS... and it sure ain't as easy as my Rockmaster which I see you know what I mean....lol.

• Members

Yea for sure man... thats funny you have a Rock Master too. I have a Rock Master and my Prophesy II will be delivered tomorrow. I use them along with a Mesa 50/50. Tell me, which distortions do you like better and why? I don't really want to have 2 preamps so I am probably going to sell one or the other...

I find it very odd Rocktron did not provide user presets so you can have one bank of original presets and one bank of user modified presets.

• Members

The factory presets are built into RAM. You have 127 presets and 1 test preset. When you modify you actually overwrite the factory preset. However it takes about 20 seconds to restore either 1 or all factory presets... so no big deal.

Preset 65 - Clean Compressed

Preset 75 - Spotless

Preset 47 - Clean Machine 3

Preset 68 - Party Stack

Preset 73 - Soundcheck

Preset 1 - Prophesy Lead 1

Preset 49 - Lead Chorus

Preset 14 - Mustaine Lead

Preset 15 - Mustaine Lead Boost

Preset 117 - STUPIDducker

Are the ones I'm using with slight volume and tone adjustments for my guitar.

Honorable mention: 2/6/9/*20/*22/57/58/*59/61/62/63/68/73/76/79/81/85/*87/105/113/*115/116

My amps are in storage don't gig anymore. Just record direct to board. So my use and tone will be different of course than yours. My JMP-1 into a G-Major is clean and stout. Crunch chords are awesome as well. That good ol' Marshall power chord.

So the Rocktron, in my case, is a $1000.00 fuzz box.

It gets the searing, digital, sustaining leads for me. Which the Marshall won't do. I play with a handmade Marler Strat which is real quiet and clean so it doesn't get the beef of humbuckers.

Tell ya' Cooker for the 200 bucks you will get for the Rockmaster DON'T DO IT. You know how much the JMP-1 is and you know how much the Rocktron is. That little Rockmaster will hold it's own with both of them. It has the cleans the Marshall does and the sear the Rocktron does for 10 times less money.

I just got a Kurzweil Rumour and run my peavey through it split signal into stereo. The Rumour is not a great live effect because the presets take a second to load but you should hear the sound.

Unreal.

Then if you ever have the chance to layer that Peavey on top of the Rocktron .... HEAVEN.

Don't sell yourself short on using multiple pre-amps. A Voodoo Labs amp switcher takes care of that in a hurry. Best switch I ever bought.

With a midi buddy pedal I've got 30 sounds and 20 layering combo's at a tap. That's using 1 bank with 11 banks left. (I hate the change bank tap pedal routine... to easy to get lost).

Then the G-Major has a switch output that saves channel switching combos into it's presets. My G-Major is controlling my Peavey channel switching even though the Peavey isn't running thru it.

When I tap pedal 1 all of my devices change to that preset. But which one gets heard is up to the Voodoo Lab.

Sorry for the long rant.... you should never ask me why.... lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Yea for sure man... thats funny you have a Rock Master too. I have a Rock Master and my Prophesy II will be delivered tomorrow. I use them along with a Mesa 50/50. Tell me, which distortions do you like better and why? I don't really want to have 2 preamps so I am probably going to sell one or the other...

I find it very odd Rocktron did not provide user presets so you can have one bank of original presets and one bank of user modified presets.

I noticed you sold your prophesy about 2 weeks after you had this discussion.

I was considering getting one -- can you share why you parted company with yours? Thanks man.

• Members

I run mine through my VHT 2/50/2...it sounds great even at extremely low volumes...whisper volumes even...i'm sure a mesa 20/20 would sound good...but i've heard that if you gig a mesa 20/20 doesn't have much oomph to it...but
that's only what i've heard.

ha ha very punny. :p

It would be mostly for bedroom / studio wankage. If I was going to pull gigs I'd run it exactly as you have, through a 2/50/2 -- I've read many glowing reports about that particular amp.

Do you find the prophesy is good thru the whole spectrum of gainage, or is it good at cleans and hi gain but not so good a medium gain? (Think I read that somewhere). Any other opinions you have about the prophesy would be most welcome. THANKS!

• Members

ha ha very punny.
:p

It would be mostly for bedroom / studio wankage. If I was going to pull gigs I'd run it exactly as you have, through a 2/50/2 -- I've read many glowing reports about that particular amp.

Do you find the prophesy is good thru the whole spectrum of gainage, or is it good at cleans and hi gain but not so good a medium gain? (Think I read that somewhere). Any other opinions you have about the prophesy would be most welcome. THANKS!

unfortunately i haven't spent hardly any time with it yet...too much going on but...i will say patch #76 is the best clean ever with my usa fender strat really beautiful and full with the delay etc...mid gain stuff can be done easy enough as well as high gain..i haven't really tweaked my sound yet for rhythm but i've almost found my lead sound with patch #1 prophesy lead preset...it's awesome. yeah the vht is a great amp but i'd presume the mesa 20/20 would serve you well with bedroom wankin' and studio work. i'm running my prophesy and vht into a genz benz g-flex 2x12...so i have to really watch my eq (bass mainly)...and the genz is a dark sounding cab to me so i sometimes have to crank my presence soom...but it's my cab not the prophesy...

Archived