4U Little Monster Rack Challenge

• Members

This is what I could configure out of my gear:

Digitech DHP55 or Marshall JMP1

Marshall JMP1

Peavey Classic 50/50

POD XT live for midi control (but cunningly can act as second preamp if I need different effects)

If I had the money, I'd get a Mesa 20/20 power amp...

• Members

;)
after almost a year of thinking, reconsidering and stuff, i'd like to go with a triaxis, g-system and a mesa 20/20 leaving one space open for... stuff..? that would be the slim-size rack i'd opt for, if i had to...

this is actually rather tempting
:p

You're not a guy to ask for quick decisions then? :p

Amazed (and pleased) to see this old chestnut raised again. :thu:

• Members

You're not a guy to ask for quick decisions then?
:p

Oh well - i'll come up with quick solutions if i have to, i just like to "reconsider" once in a while :D

I actually like the idea about having a really small rig for playing small gigs and competition-type of venues, where they won't let you bring backline except for your own amp head and guitars. the 3U thing i mentioned just before would be quite cool for that, i think - though it's not the most creative solution, i think it seems extremely versatile for modern rock stuff.

Still don't mind bringing my 10U (and growing) rig for larger venues though :blah:

• Members

I normally use my rack for effects only and to switch channels on my amp via Midi, but am toying with just going back to using a rack with cab only.

This got me thinking as to what I'd put in it out of my collection of odds and ends and I wondered what other people would do. So the challenge is, put together (conceptually) a giggable 4U (or smaller!) rack.

Guidelines (rather than rules as there's no prizes for this) are as follows:

1) Preamp, main FX and power amp should be in the rack. Exceptions are allowed for things like wah pedals, tuner pedals or the odd effect but preamp to pedal board and back to power amp is not the idea. Pedals in a rack drawer if you've got room are fine.

2) Try to use gear you've already got. Listing a load of stuff you don't have wouldn't exactly be an option if you had to do this at short notice for a gig. If you don't have a power amp that'll fit then specify what you'd try and get to fit, same applies to preamp and fx units if you don't have them.

My entry would be:

Space 1 - Boss TU50 and AKG Wireless on a rack shelf. Both half width units

Space 2 - Zoom 9150 preamp/processor.

Space 3 - Yamaha Q100 stereo graphic EQ and Yamaha PW100 power supply for AKG, Zoom and EQ. Both half width units on a rack shelf,

Space 4 - Marshall 8008 Valvestate power amp. 80 watts a side into 4 Ohms.

My other option for a preamp/processor would be an Alesis Quad GT but the Zoom sounds better to me than the Quad ever did. Other than the Quad, the other rack gear I have kicking round but didn't use includes a Laney Babelswitch Midi loop and channel switcher, a Yamaha EMP-100 effects unit and a custom built power supply unit by Orchid Electronics.

Anyone else fancy a go?

Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra

VHT 2:50:2

• Members

I just sold the 2:Fifty and a new 2:90 is coming from Mesa as soon as they make one.:cry:

This was from my last playing session w. the 2:Fifty before I sent it away earlier this week. I was messing with some extreme TA settings as you can see. :)

etu_2.jpg

• Members

My choices would be:

Voodoo Lab Preamp

Rocktron Replifex

Mesa Boogie 20/20 poweramp

and just to make it four spaces full, either a Lexicon Jam Man looper or a MPX-1.

I have it somewhat in the 6 space ATA shock rack on the right side of this photo.

TheGrooveking

QuikLokRS954s.jpg

I so want to come and play at your house. You have all the best toys! :love:

• Members

Here's my rack

From the top:

Rocktron velocity (not in use, just had to put it somewhere)

Tc G-major

Engl e860 rackhead

I'll be replacing the rocktron with another pre or maybe chandler tubedriver.

Nice rack and I love that RG550! You're from Finland, right?

• Members

Nice rack and I love that RG550! You're from Finland, right?

Thanks! There are some things to improve though. First thing on my gear to do list is to change the PUs on my yellow rg.

Yes I am from Finland, I guess I should do something about my profile.

• Members

Thanks! There are some things to improve though. First thing on my gear to do list is to change the PUs on my yellow rg.

Yes I am from Finland, I guess I should do something about my profile.

;) have you heard about tesla pickups? i tried a bunch of different models, and fell totally in love with the plasma 3 - awesome modern rock/metal tone, clear distinct and absurdly punchy :)

they're located here: http://www.teslatek.com/

anyone else using these?

Archived