4U Little Monster Rack Challenge

• Members

I normally use my rack for effects only and to switch channels on my amp via Midi, but am toying with just going back to using a rack with cab only.

This got me thinking as to what I'd put in it out of my collection of odds and ends and I wondered what other people would do. So the challenge is, put together (conceptually) a giggable 4U (or smaller!) rack.

Guidelines (rather than rules as there's no prizes for this) are as follows:

1) Preamp, main FX and power amp should be in the rack. Exceptions are allowed for things like wah pedals, tuner pedals or the odd effect but preamp to pedal board and back to power amp is not the idea. Pedals in a rack drawer if you've got room are fine.

2) Try to use gear you've already got. Listing a load of stuff you don't have wouldn't exactly be an option if you had to do this at short notice for a gig. If you don't have a power amp that'll fit then specify what you'd try and get to fit, same applies to preamp and fx units if you don't have them.

My entry would be:

Space 1 - Boss TU50 and AKG Wireless on a rack shelf. Both half width units

Space 2 - Zoom 9150 preamp/processor.

Space 3 - Yamaha Q100 stereo graphic EQ and Yamaha PW100 power supply for AKG, Zoom and EQ. Both half width units on a rack shelf,

Space 4 - Marshall 8008 Valvestate power amp. 80 watts a side into 4 Ohms.

My other option for a preamp/processor would be an Alesis Quad GT but the Zoom sounds better to me than the Quad ever did. Other than the Quad, the other rack gear I have kicking round but didn't use includes a Laney Babelswitch Midi loop and channel switcher, a Yamaha EMP-100 effects unit and a custom built power supply unit by Orchid Electronics.

Anyone else fancy a go?

• Members

I just built one late last year with a:

Rocktron Piranha Preamp

ADA Microtube 200 Power amp

Boss VF1 FX Unit w/ Rack Adapter

One open space.

I've considered throwing my ADA MP-1 Classic in there in parallel with the Piranha but for now am leaving it as is so it can breathe a bit.

• Members

This will be my main rig, but I've been planning on keeping it in a 4sp simply because otherwise it's just too much to transport, and because although I like the idea of a huge rack, it looks prety stupid in most of the places I play. I've got most of the items, but I'm still putting it together, so some of them are in transit or are being shopped for. But the design is pretty much complete.

By the way, I use a combo, so I have a little more room to play with in the rack.

1) GCX Switcher (still shopping around for a used one)

2) Korg A3 - main effects unit

3) Roland SDE 2500

4) Rack sliding shelf, which will house:

i) power supply: 10 plug surge protector

ii) Boss TU-2 chromatic tuner

iii) Line 6 DL4 (mostly for the looping function)

iv) Boss SD-1

v) EHX Big Muff

It'll be controlled by a Ground Control w/ an Ernie Ball volume pedal in the expression pedal slot.

• Members

my main gigging rig is an ENGL E530 > T.C. G-Major > Mesa/Boogie 50/50

4 amp channels, and G-Major's built in tuner is enough to suit my needs.

I only play venues, that already have power conditioning, so i don't really get the idea with all those furman's i see...

The 50/50 is all the power i need - and more too... it's extremely loud... the last couple of jobs we played (700-1000 people) it was only turned half way up... so i guess i could play it for 5000 as well, without running short of power :D

• Members

I *did* have exactly what I needed:

- ART Eighty/Eighty "Powered Processor" rackmountable head w preamp, effects and power amp

- Furman PL-Tuner rack tuner and conditioner

- Rocktron Guitar Silencer

Unfortunately, the ART died and replacement parts are no longer available, so the odds of finding another such device are slim to none.

• Members

I'll only use gear that I own for mine, but I have a bunch of stuff...

If I needed something super quick to whip together; I'd go this route:

Pod XT Pro

VHT 2/90/2

or:

Digitech 2120 Artist

Peavey Classic 50/50

or

Randall RM4

Rocktron Intellipitch (or G-Major)

Wireless system

(then use my Crate PowerBlocks for power - they'll fit in the back and not use a whole rack space)

Actually, out of all my amps here lately, my PowerBlocks are winning out most of the time...

This last one is actually what I'll be using at our next few shows.

• Members

convenience or tone?

Jun

Actually, believe it or not; tone first and convenience is just a huge benefit.

I have two of 'em powering four Genz-Benz G-Flex 2x12's.

I've also got a VHT 2/90/2, Peavey Classic 50/50 and a Marshall 8008 and the Crates as a power section seem to give me a better tone when used with any of my preamps.

• Members

Similar to previously noted by jimosity, for the most power and bang, I'd go

Digitech 2120 Artist

Mesa 2:100 Power amp (instead of the 50/50)

I actually ran this before I got the Recto pre and G Major and it crushed. Channel switching kinda lagged, but once there, Pure Metal goodness.

The secret is to make a "modern" plug for the 2:100. Trust me. It's a little noisier while idling but worth it when not.

Whoever it was that said they usually play venues with conditioned power, consider yourself lucky. I believe most of us do not. I don't trust anybody's power, I always use a power conditioner. Most of the joints I have played are little more than a converted bar which was never designed for that kind of power distribution.

• Members
I normally use my rack for effects only and to switch channels on my amp via Midi, but am toying with just going back to using a rack with cab only.

This got me thinking as to what I'd put in it out of my collection of odds and ends and I wondered what other people would do. So the challenge is, put together (conceptually) a giggable 4U (or smaller!) rack.

Guidelines (rather than rules as there's no prizes for this) are as follows:

1) Preamp, main FX and power amp should be in the rack. Exceptions are allowed for things like wah pedals, tuner pedals or the odd effect but preamp to pedal board and back to power amp is not the idea. Pedals in a rack drawer if you've got room are fine.

2) Try to use gear you've already got. Listing a load of stuff you don't have wouldn't exactly be an option if you had to do this at short notice for a gig. If you don't have a power amp that'll fit then specify what you'd try and get to fit, same applies to preamp and fx units if you don't have them.

My entry would be:

Space 1 - Boss TU50 and AKG Wireless on a rack shelf. Both half width units

Space 2 - Zoom 9150 preamp/processor.

Space 3 - Yamaha Q100 stereo graphic EQ and Yamaha PW100 power supply for AKG, Zoom and EQ. Both half width units on a rack shelf,

Space 4 - Marshall 8008 Valvestate power amp. 80 watts a side into 4 Ohms.

My other option for a preamp/processor would be an Alesis Quad GT but the Zoom sounds better to me than the Quad ever did. Other than the Quad, the other rack gear I have kicking round but didn't use includes a Laney Babelswitch Midi loop and channel switcher, a Yamaha EMP-100 effects unit and a custom built power supply unit by Orchid Electronics.

Anyone else fancy a go?

the 9150 is a pretty nice unit:thu: Ive used one for about 11 years now.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

;) after almost a year of thinking, reconsidering and stuff, i'd like to go with a triaxis, g-system and a mesa 20/20 leaving one space open for... stuff..? that would be the slim-size rack i'd opt for, if i had to...

this is actually rather tempting :p

Archived