I need more gain....

• Members

I'm using a Marshall JMP-1 with a Marshall power amp....all my gain settings are at 20 (max)...using a Screamin demon pickup....I need 25 on my gain but it's not there...need that violin type sustain...I tried boosters and distortion units all they do is muddy up the sound...anyone else have this problem and is there an answer? thanks

• Members

the screamin demon is super weak. it's doing the opposite of screaming for you.

try either a Duncan JB or a Dimarzio Super 3.

You want MORE mids before the preamp stage to create more saturation and sustain.

also, it might just be the wrong preamp for you.

some gain monsters include:

peavey tube fex

rocktron chameleon

rocktron voodu valve

rocktron piranha

engl 530

modded ADA MP-1

mesa recto pre

mesa quad

etc.

there are many choices that have more gain than the JMP-1. I'm not saying more gain is good or bad, just different.

BTW, maybe the preamp tubes are dead. :confused:

maybe your cable is bad

• Members

As previous posts have stated, the problem is your pickup. I had the same issue with it. I've also found that the Screamin' Demon only sounds good to me in basswood guitars. Anyhow, I called Duncan and told them that I'd like something that sounds like a Screamin Demon with more output and they recommended the Custom 5 model. Might be worth a shot.

• Members

Try with LiweWire metal! You'll get a killer gain but no cleans!

I also think that JMP is not a preamp for cranking gain!

You need as someone said something from mesa, rocktron, engl (I have 530- gainy as hell) or try with line 6 POD XT pro. If that doesn't have enough gain, nothing will.!

• Members

I owned a Triaxis a while back. Not nearly as big/heavy sounding as the JMP-1 on the rhythm side.
:thu:

never played triaxis, but allways thought that it is a fat piece of {censored}!

JMP-1 is great for open chords and rhythm but it is not even close to 530 for palm muting.

If you love your JMP-1, then pickup change is the solution.

Maybe some speakers with less headroom too.

• Members

I agree with the other guys...

I own a half dozen Lynch ESPs with the Screamin' Demons and despite the name, it's not a high output pickup.

I think EMGs will get you closer to what you want, but you probably still won't be happy.

I take it you're a metal guy, which I am as well...and the JMP-1 is probably not going to cut it for you because that's not what it excels at.

If you're determined to stick with the JMP-1, check with VoodooAmps.com and see if Trace will modify the JMP-1 for you to get more balls out of it.

Check this link for more details:

http://www.voodooamps.com/standardmods-marshall.html#JMP1

I too had a JMP-1 and had the exact same issue as you... it was very close, but left something to be desired in the end....and I use EMGs.

The end result I had was to sell it and get something that did what I wanted a little easier. Check out the Randall RM4.

• Members

Everythings dimed? I don't think its *necessarily* his pickup, if that's the case, although that may help. I have a guitar with a demon in it and it is a very good sounding pickup and, although as other have noted it is not super high output (more medium), I have no gain issues whatsoever with my MP-1 which I thought was comparable to the JMP-1 gainwise. Like someone else said, maybe it's just not the preamp for you....

Also, one thing you could try after checking the tubes but before changing pickups is a clean boost like a Tube Screamer or Bad Monkey before the preamp. That's less intrusive than a pickup change.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm using a Marshall JMP-1 with a Marshall power amp....all my gain settings are at 20 (max)...using a Screamin demon pickup....I need 25 on my gain but it's not there...need that violin type sustain...I tried boosters and distortion units all they do is muddy up the sound...anyone else have this problem and is there an answer? thanks

you may consider changing the 12AX7 in the preamp, and if that doesn't do it for you; change the PU and use a boost in front of the jmp-1.

Didn't see the other poster who posted the same suggestion, oops oh well... redundant but prudent.

Archived