Mounting units onto the rack.

• Members

Is it neccessary to have rubber washers between units and rack rails, or can you mount the units directly onto the rail?

Washers or other isolators such as "Humfrees" will help with ground loops but they aren't necessary if you aren't getting any hum.

• Members

Ilike to use the black shoulder washers for isolation,but more to prevent the rack ears from getting unecessarily scratched up.

Same here. I put one on the inside and outside of each mounting screw. Helps keep the units clean.

• Members

Ilike to use the black shoulder washers for isolation,but more to prevent the rack ears from getting unecessarily scratched up.

Black shoulder washers are a necessity IMO. They prevent damage to the faceplates and can insulate the unit from ground loops (if installed correctly front & back or installed front with insulating foam between the faceplate & rack rail).

Beside the protection & isolation advantages, nice black shoulder washers look far more professional than plain screws over scratched up face plates.

• Members

AHHHH......any music store. Is this a trick question?

Jun

Depends where you live. Most music stores around my area don't carry rack gear or rack accessories anymore as it went out of fashion after the mid-90s. I have to travel a fair way to find a music store that still carries any rack orientated stuff as a matter of course. I'd get stuff like those washers online these day.

Archived