looking for a proper rack echo module

• Members

Hi, I'm stuck again. I need an echo device so that the echo would fade smoothely, not distorting the signal and not repeating it many times. The echo may be like a tube reverb in my Randall RT50 or better. I have a Yamaha spx 90 and echo effects in it sound as if hunderd guitars start to play in a big barge hold. I don't know why Yamaha's engeneers in modeling echo assumed all the rooms had to have iron walls, but I'd rather love the echo that carries my guitar sound away slowly and by degree dies out (like in my Randall). So which rack unit under $500-600 can do that, Rocktron Intellifex, Xpression, Yamaha spx 2000, Lexicon 550, T.C. G-sharp, Alesis Midiverb, Kurzwail Rumour, Behringer V-Verb?

Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sounds like a programming issue.

I haven't used a SPX-90 in a while but isn't there a high frequency cut for one of the delay parameters? Try turning that to about 1-2k or lower and you'll get a smoother delay that doesn't compete with the dry signal.

Sounds like you might have the +4 and -10 db settings screwed up too if the efx unit is adding extra distortion.

Jun

• Members

I've tried all variants with the parameters and db switches on the rear pane. I can say ywo things:

1) I have to have a dry/wet loop in my preamp (an old Egnator IE4 does not have such one)

2) I have to have an option to control the loudness of the echo or the curve it dies out by.

:(

I treid ajusting the frequecies and found they could infulence only on brightness/dullness of the echo.

• Members

Separents,

1) I have to have a dry/wet loop in my preamp (an old Egnator IE4 does not have such one)

I don't quite understand this: There are two types of loops, parallel and serial. I'm guessing since you don't have a parallel loop built in your preamp, you have to run the SPX in series, unless you want to use a line level mixer to run your effects parallel..

2) I have to have an option to control the loudness of the echo or the curve it dies out by.

If I remember correctly there is a dedicated output/balance button on the SPX and the curve it dies out by is the 'feedback' parameter right after the L and R delay times.

Jun

• Members

If I remember correctly there is a dedicated output/balance button on the SPX and the curve it dies out by is the 'feedback' parameter right after the L and R delay times.

Yes, but the 'F.B' allows to control the number of signal reflections; when I diminish the value of that parameter the echo becomes shorter but still too loud.:confused: How can the output balance influence on the effects behaviour?

• Members

This may be an obvious question but just out of curiosity are you running the echo after your preamp/distortion or before? The most common and preferred way is to run it after your preamp/distortion stages, it will sound cleaner and clearer.

• Members

Yes, but the 'F.B' allows to control the number of signal reflections; when I diminish the value of that parameter the echo becomes shorter but still too loud.
:confused:
How can the output balance influence on the effects behaviour?

If your running the SPX in series:

'Balance' is the wet/dry ratio, 'output' is the overall volume.

Try starting with 'balance' set to all the way dry, and slowly raising it to mix in the delay's volume. If that doesn't work, your unit is malfunctioning.

I can't remember if output/balance was global or per patch.

Jun

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks you, Jun. I found the balance/output feature settings and this pair is tweakable for each preset. Right at the first preset, which is called Rev 1 I reached what I needed by setting the balance value from 100 down to 10%. The reverb is very good and natural, I don't know why people complained in their reviews at HC. Reverbs in spx 90 won't sound canny at all, if you set appropriately the echo-time, start delay and loudness of reverberation (balance) like I did now.

However, it completely spoil the main signal; it kills outright the hights and partly the lows, which makes the signal completely faded. I think I will still need an EQ.

• Members

Instead of an EQ, you might want to consider running the SPX or any efx unit, 'parallel' instead of series to preserve your main (dry) signal. Unfortunately the SPX is close to 20+ years old, AD/DA converters have come a long way since then.

http://psionicaudio.com/main/mixers.htm is a good source for small mixers dedicated to rack users.

Jun

• Members

Hi, I'm stuck again. I need an echo device so that the echo would fade smoothely, not distorting the signal and not repeating it many times. The echo may be like a tube reverb in my Randall RT50 or better. I have a
Yamaha spx 90
and echo effects in it sound as if hunderd guitars start to play in a big barge hold. I don't know why Yamaha's engeneers in modeling echo assumed all the rooms had to have iron walls, but I'd rather love the echo that carries my guitar sound away slowly and by degree dies out (like in my Randall). So which rack unit under $500-600 can do that, Rocktron Intellifex, Xpression, Yamaha spx 2000, Lexicon 550, T.C. G-sharp, Alesis Midiverb, Kurzwail Rumour, Behringer V-Verb?

Thanks.

EVERYTHING else pales by comparisson, unfortunately not budget pieces.

c547f96a4b5b4fa4946451e61427fab4.jpg

OR

h8000fw-front-med.jpg

• Members

I doubt 99% of the crowd is going to hear the difference between an SPX and an Eventide or 2290 after it's mic'ed with a $80 SM-57 thru a PA. What's the point of bringing up those efx units?

The original post specifies $5-600.

Just showing off what you got? Why are you replying to every efx unit question with am Eventide? Enough already.

Jun

• Members

I doubt 99% of the crowd is going to hear the difference between an SPX and an Eventide or 2290 after it's mic'ed with a $80 SM-57 thru a PA. What's the point of bringing up those efx units?

The original post specifies $5-600.

Just showing off what you got?

Jun

You'd be surprised what the crowd will notice. They might not be able to articulate why they like the tone, but they know what sounds good when they hear it. Which is why all the big boys have used them in their live rigs and in the studio. The point is: They sound better than everything else and there you have it. Besides who uses gear for the crowd, I use it for me.

Showing off? nah, here this is what showing off looks like: Next time, try not be come across like an asshat. The only suggestions I've made and referenced Eventide, is to guys asking for the best. Don't be a hater, it's so unneccessary.

1gear.jpg

photoshop%20rack.jpg

Picture%20218.jpg

stuff%20016.jpg

• Members

You actually think you're helping Separanets hi-jacking this thread with your large picts? Maybe you need to learn how to read. $500-600.

What an idiot.

Jun

Do you think you're helping his thread from being hijacked as you put it, by starting a pissing contest with someone.

It is conceivable that he may research the suggestion and learn something he didn't know, so it may very well be helpful, though not on target for his original budget. :wave: And if you learn to read, you might see that I acknowledged that it was not in the price range.

• Members

Try 10 times the budget.

If this isn't just plain 'showing off', I don't know what is.

How about a helpful suggestion?

Jun

The TC would hardly be 10 times the budget of $600.

The Eventide, yes.

What I showed off were, the BEST PERIOD.

bananaact.gif

• Members

I wasn't aware of anyone asking for the 'best period'.

Once again how about a helpful suggestion?

Jun

Helpful suggestion, pull your head out of your ass.

The Best is afterall what everything else is measured up against, so with the knowledge of what the best is he now is better informed as to see what is available close enough to the specs of the best, for him. He could get an Eventide Time Factor around $400-$500. Pedal has, tap tempo, midi controlled, etc.... Happy now? Of course If the OP thought about it, he could've gone to Eventides website by way of my suggesting the company in the 1st place, but hey...

• Members

Separanets,

Any of the units you mentioned will achieve what you need. Sorry this has been derailed by a 'know it all' show off.

Zachman,

Reading 101? Did you read the title?

'Looking for a proper
RACK
echo module'

Time Factor is not a rack unit.

Jun

Correct, time factor is not a rack unit, but will provide ALL of the prerequisits of the OP and can be mounted on a pedal tray in a rack, making it in effect, a rack unit. :idea:

The thing I find ammusing, and by that I mean silly, is that you come into someone elses thread and start {censored}, like it's somehow affecting you, when the OP didn't seem to have a problem. Why so hostile? Seems like you have a need for attention, and require acknowledgement to feel complete. Glad to be of help, but you may wish to seek professional psych attention. :thu::rolleyes:

bananaact.gif

• Members

You've got absolutely zero to contribute besides recommending a 2290 which is discontinued, made with parts no longer available and a $5000+ efx unit.

Start your own thread showing off your gear. You probably need all these efx to hide your inferior playing abilities.

Jun

• Members

You've got absolutely zero to contribute besides recommending a 2290 which is discontinued, made with parts no longer available and a $5000+ efx unit.

Start your own thread showing off your gear. You probably need all these efx to hide your inferior playing abilities.

Jun

Whatever dude, the OP already listed the units he's got and clearly researched, others. If he doesn't know how to adjust the feedback level, mix level and LFD and HFD, or know how to read a spec sheet and choose a unit with the appropriate Signal to noise ratio, and sample rate, what do you think anyone could say that would make a difference? Having the right gear only matters if you know how to operate it. It seemed like a troll post to me, which is why I responded the way that I did.

To the OP, adjust your feedback level, turn OFF the Low frequesncy dampening, and adjust your mix level. If you want delay ducking, the TC Electronic G-Major may be something that you could look into, or the TC Electronic D2. The Intellifex has that function, but it sucks (that function) the unit itself is very nice. ALL of the other units you mentioned are very capable, but as far as tap tempo goes, your selection in your budget is limited to a few, but not so few that you will have a hard time getting something that should work, as you must already be aware.

• Members

Hey, what a useless argument, I can't afford Eventide though or else I had never pointed out my budget for a reverb. All that I needed was an effect similar in quality to my Randall's reverb or a bit better, not worse. Now I can say I can buy a used spx 2000 and it will be $700 (here it is $1500). Another variant is a Behringer 2496 V-Verb Pro. Pepole who used it say it's got surpisingly good quality ok for such a budget unit.

• Members

Hey, what a useless argument, I can't afford Eventide though or else I had never pointed out my budget for a reverb. All that I needed was an effect similar in quality to my Randall's reverb or a bit better, not worse. Now I can say I can buy a used
spx 2000
and it will be $700 (here it is $1500). Another variant is a Behringer 2496 V-Verb Pro. Pepole who used it say it's got surpisingly good quality ok for such a budget unit.

A Lexicon MPX-1 maybe another alternative, as well.

Archived