Rack noise question

• Members

I have been plagued with this problem...due to the fact that I run my Marshall JMP-1 at extreme high gain....that's the sound I like...anyway I got the ebtech 2 channel box and placed it between the JMP1 and my power amp...it gets quiet at my clean settings but when I crank her up, it gets noisy again...am I placing the ebtech in the right place?...set up is as follows

furman pl8> marshal JMP-1 > (quadraverb gt (in effects loop of jmp1)) out of jmp1 o/p's to ebtech > Marshall 9060 power amp > 2 4x12 Marshall cabs...

any advice other than buying a decimator I can't afford...? thanks for any advice....

• Members

I am guessing the EB Tech you got is the Hum Eliminator.. no? if thats what you got. then, all that unit does is remove Ground Loops. it doesnt actully remove noise and hum created by Highgain which what seems to be happening if your rig.

Why not try the ISP Decimator pedal? its alot cheaper than the Rack version and you can most likely use it in the loop of the JMP-1 and only program the loop to open on patches you want the ISP to clean up hum, etc..

If not, then check into stuff like the Rocktron Hush IICX.. if pedal, then check into the Boss NS-2. although I found it to suck tone.

Cheers

• Members

On that note, I will be puchasing the Rocktron Xpression rack effects unit to replace my old quadraverb...this unit has a HUSH built into it...will this help me out in the noise dept. ???

Yes.. the HUSH on the Rocktron units is pretty solid. But on my replifex, it seems that when I put the HUSH in a patch, it adds a volume swell to the patch.

so basicly if I go from a clean patch with no HUSH to a patch with a HUSH, while switching, it'll have a HUGE volume swell. It went away when I turned off the HUSH. So make sure you give the Xpression a try first before going with it.

Cheers

• Members

The best *affordable* noise reduction unit I've ever used is the old Rocktron Guitar Silencer. I'm a big fan of ART EQs and guitar preamps, which are notoriously noisy, and the Rocktron does a fantastic job of eliminating hiss and hum without butchering my tone. The Hush IICX is almost as good, and has two channels.

Archived