Are you like me...

• Members

...do you hide the contents of your rack when you play live?

I like to talk gear, but when I used to have a pedalboard setup, I would have every guitar player and their brother come up to me after the show and bend my ear about my rig while I was trying to break down.

Worse still, you get these guys who see a bunch of gear and make all kinds of idiotic assumptions about what a player "needs" or doesn't "need" that they feel compelled to come share with you when you're busy trying to get off the stage.

This is part of the reason why I moved my pedals into a rack...so no one could see what I was using. In fact, I turn my rack so that the side faces the audience so it's harder to see what's inside...besides...unless I'm chatting with my fellow gear heads or getting interviewed by a guitar magazine or something, I don't feel obligated to just hand out my tonal secrets like candy on Halloween. :D

So how about you? Do you show your rig off, or do you go all tranny style and tuck it away? :D

• Members

Nope. As far as I'm concerned, most of my "tone" (touch, vibrato, etc...) comes from my hands. Age old argument, I know. But I honestly believe it to be true. I could play through my rig, your rig or some 13 year old kids rig and it's still gonna sound like me. Good, bad or indifferent.

Gotta love your tenacity for keeping the family secrets, tho.

• Members

Nope. As far as I'm concerned, most of my "tone" (touch, vibrato, etc...) comes from my hands. Age old argument, I know. But I honestly believe it to be true. I could play through my rig, your rig or some 13 year old kids rig and it's still gonna sound like me. Good, bad or indifferent.

I still haven't mastered the technique to get feedback or modulation effects from just my hands and an unplugged electric guitar. ;)

Of course, assuming anything more complex than a clean tone, a guitar/amp and an instrument cable, may NOT be what you're referring to.

• Members

...do you hide the contents of your rack when you play live?

I like to talk gear, but when I used to have a pedalboard setup, I would have every guitar player and their brother come up to me after the show and bend my ear about my rig while I was trying to break down.

Worse still, you get these guys who see a bunch of gear and make all kinds of idiotic assumptions about what a player "needs" or doesn't "need" that they feel compelled to come share with you when you're busy trying to get off the stage.

This is part of the reason why I moved my pedals into a rack...so no one could see what I was using. In fact, I turn my rack so that the side faces the audience so it's harder to see what's inside...besides...unless I'm chatting with my fellow gear heads or getting interviewed by a guitar magazine or something, I don't feel obligated to just hand out my tonal secrets like candy on Halloween.
:D

So how about you? Do you show your rig off, or do you go all tranny style and tuck it away?
:D

Nah, I setup however is most convenient logistically. Most guys aren't going to be able to recreate those tones without the actual gear, I don't care how adept their finger technique is. As far as the tone settings go, the guys that are tone headcases, like me, already know that if they aren't willing to pay the price of admission into the equipment, they'll always be chasing the unattainable, assuming they are after what my setup is doing, as it isn't exactly the most commonly used gear in a guitar rack, though probably the most commonly wished for by those who know what it is.

• Members

While I agree a certain degree of one's tone comes from their fingers, I must profess, I have yet to see anyone get fuzz or overdrive tones with just their fingers. :D

• Members

Aww come on, the gear heads in the audience a being deprived of the rack light show if you don't let them see it!

But seriously, I find it to be a bit flattering when somebody in the audience thinks I have great tone and wants to talk about it. I would divert them until load out was done and then talk a bit. I've put considerable money and time into perfecting my tone and, to me, it's nice to have someone notice!

~Kurt

• Members

:LMAO jajajajajajajajajajajaja:deadhorse:

Too funny. I'm in the USA, and one of the Hispanic people I work with used to always write in his e-mail "jajaja". Never knew what he meant till I asked....THEN I realized it was the non-American equivilent of "ha ha ha". NOW I get it! :thu:

• Members

Too funny. I'm in the USA, and one of the Hispanic people I work with used to always write in his e-mail "jajaja". Never knew what he meant till I asked....THEN I realized it was the non-American equivilent of "ha ha ha". NOW I get it!
:thu:

yes sir :p

i must say its more latin :p

• Members

Too funny. I'm in the USA, and one of the Hispanic people I work with used to always write in his e-mail "jajaja". Never knew what he meant till I asked....THEN I realized it was the non-American equivilent of "ha ha ha". NOW I get it!
:thu:

i had a distant mexican cousin that did that. i also just had a revelation. but ya, i believe in tranny style as far as racks go. ;)

• Members

My band sets up so that the guitars are in a crossfire configuration, so my rack and cabs are on the side, pointing across the stage. It's for sound purposes, not concealment, though...it can be easily seen from the dance floor, and I'm happy to answer any questions from fellow guitarists about it. They tend to want to talk during my breaks, though...not so much during teardown.

Archived