What does the Mesa/Boogie Studio pre sound like?

• Members

By chance I've come across it on sale ($400). What I managed to find out is it has a very good clean (how much better than my Engl 520?) and overdrive is also decent, but I don't know how decent, because in the HC reviews they compared it with nearly nothing but other mesa/boogie's. And another question is wither it is really the same as the Quad but only with common setting on both channels. And another one what styles of music can I play with it? Are there any owners I could ask?

Thanks.

• Members

Cleans are like Fender cleans and the lead mode is a Mesa Mark IIC, so very close to Hetfield/PEtrucci style tones. Pretty much nails those as well as the 80s LA hair metal stuff :D

Technically the quad is also mark IIC on channel 1 but it has more features. The sound is pretty much the same though.

• Members

The Strategy 400 is also on sale for $1000, too much money for me at the moment; and apparently I'm going to lose the Studio since someone has arealy bid it, so the price grew over $400.

Thank you anyway, your info will be very useful for me in the future. And a couple of questions agian: what about playing riffs, I read in reviews the Pre is good for soloing, but for crunch or riffs it is not that distinct (flat?). My problem is I have never checked out any mesa stuff.

• Members

The Strategy 400 is also on sale for $1000, too much money for me at the moment; and apparently I'm going to lose the Studio since someone has arealy bid it, so the price grew over $400.

Thank you anyway, your info will be very useful for me in the future. And a couple of questions agian: what about playing riffs, I read in reviews the Pre is good for soloing, but for crunch or riffs it is not that distinct (flat?). My problem is I have never checked out any mesa stuff.

That guy is just nuts. I got my 395 for $400 which is cheap, usually they go for around $600. The Strategy 400 is a very loud great sounding amp, but that is too much $$$ IMO.

• Members

There are also a 50/50 for $700 and a 2:90 for $800 unbidden so far and prolly never going to. The 50/50 has been on for around 2 months. Here I have a problem cause the cheap mail company does not ship stuff over 20 kilo. The 50/50 is 20 kilo itself unwrapped and I must guess how heavy 2:90 may prove. So the shipment may be 2ce as much. Well any way, I will always have time to buy a mesa power amp. But, returning to the Studio pre, as far as I assume with the Studio I can play blues and jazz and slightly distorted clean sound and lead solos. But I'm still not sure about rythm, what's it like? Chunky, crispy, heavy? No chance to check it out for me here. :(

• Members

There are also a 50/50 for $700 and a 2:90 for $800 unbidden so far and prolly never going to. The 50/50 has been on for around 2 months. Here I have a problem cause the cheap mail company does not ship stuff over 20 kilo. The 50/50 is 20 kilo itself unwrapped and I must guess how heavy 2:90 may prove. So the shipment may be 2ce as much. Well any way, I will always have time to buy a mesa power amp. But, returning to the Studio pre, as far as I assume with the Studio I can play blues and jazz and slightly distorted clean sound and lead solos. But I'm still not sure about rythm, what's it like? Chunky, crispy, heavy? No chance to check it out for me here.
:(

It is basically 2 preamps sections of the MKIII.

Very versatile set one for clean and one for crunch and you're good to go. Independant tone controls allow for maximaizing clean from crunch. There are a lot of different tones available in them.

• Members

It is basically 2 preamps sections of the MKIII.

Very versatile set one for clean and one for crunch and you're good to go. Independant tone controls allow for maximaizing clean from crunch. There are a lot of different tones available in them.

Ok, what do you think is better: to try to bid the Studio over $400 or to wait till someone puts a Quad up on sale?

• Members

This time the Studio is on sale for $300, so what do you think? I can wait for the Quad for ever and more, but while I'm waiting I can buy the Studio to get familiar with Mesa sound a bit and I can sell it for the same price then, can't I?:rolleyes:

• Members

This time the Studio is on sale for $300, so what do you think? I can wait for the Quad for ever and more, but while I'm waiting I can buy the Studio to get familiar with Mesa sound a bit and I can sell it for the same price then, can't I?
:rolleyes:

My opinion... forget the studio preamp... The quad is what you'll end up with because you'll realize the limitations with the studio preamp. ;)

• 5 months later...

Archived