Is it just me, or are the majority of rack gear rare in the uk?

• Members

Ok, so in a few months I'm going to start building up an all rack rig. Im going to start as follows (btw, atm i have a marshall jcm900 combo)

1st buy- TC Electronics G Major- Guitar-marshall(G major in effects loop)

2nd Buy- Some type of metal preamp- guitar-preamp-marshall fx return

3rd buy- either cab or poweramp

4th buy- either cab or poweramp- guitar-preamp-g major- poweramp-cab

After I buy the 4th, I'll have an all rack setupi right? And from there I can tweak it yeah?

So anyways, i searched around here for some options, but i find the majority of rack gear mentioned about in here is really hard to find in the uk (particularly poweramps). I mean, i hear the peavey 50/50s or 60/60s are good cheap poweramps, bu I cant find one anywhere in the uk or on uk ebay. Also preamps like ada mp-1 are hard to find.

Anyone else come across this? Or i might be using wrong terminology in my searchs (Im a rack noob)

BTW, if your going to reccommend

• Members

Ok, so in a few months I'm going to start building up an all rack rig. Im going to start as follows (btw, atm i have a marshall jcm900 combo)

1st buy- TC Electronics G Major- Guitar-marshall(G major in effects loop)

2nd Buy- Some type of metal preamp- guitar-preamp-marshall fx return

3rd buy- either cab or poweramp

4th buy- either cab or poweramp- guitar-preamp-g major- poweramp-cab

After I buy the 4th, I'll have an all rack setupi right? And from there I can tweak it yeah?

So anyways, i searched around here for some options, but i find the majority of rack gear mentioned about in here is really hard to find in the uk (particularly poweramps). I mean, i hear the peavey 50/50s or 60/60s are good cheap poweramps, bu I cant find one anywhere in the uk or on uk ebay. Also preamps like ada mp-1 are hard to find.

Anyone else come across this? Or i might be using wrong terminology in my searchs (Im a rack noob)

BTW, if your going to reccommend

• Members

Wish all that stuff was readily available over here! :cry:

The UK seems to have done a near complete wipeout of rack gear, all that most shops stock are individual pedals and a few multi effects like the Boss GT8.

There are some quality shops that do still stock stuff where you can try it out but they are few and far between, and often the only place to buy it is at online only retailers or ebay.

Rack gear is a lot more common on ebay US. The end of last year I got my Zoom 9150 preamp/processor from there for

• Members

There are some valid points in there, plus some complete bull{censored}.

1) The Behringer FCB1010 is a damn fine Midi pedal, even if a lot of the rest of their stuff might be suspect.

2) The G Major does get mixed reviews around here. Ideally you should try it and as many other processors out before buying if at all possible.

3) The argument that you should only need a rack if you're a touring pro is bull{censored}. At any level of playing where you are going to transport gear, there is a lot to be said for the convenience of having a rack. I use a combo amp and have a 4U rack in which, I have a midi channel switcher, radio system, rack tuner, effects unit and a custom built power supply. My gain needs are serviced by my amp which is 3 channel plus has switchable master volumes giving me 6 levels to start with. My 4U rack and midi pedal is a damn sight easier to control than a bloody great pedal board I'd have to be tap dancing on the whole time.

4) Seagull's second post about having one basic tone and tweaking EQ and effects completely misses the point of rack gear. When you're playing you don't want to have to turn round to your amp and tweak a tone control mid song or adjust a knob on an effect pedal, it is a lot easier to have a few pre-programmed options accessible through a Midi foot pedal and one click recalls them for you.

5) Also in that post, he claims that rack gear is not cost-effective. This is a matter of opinion as there is some great rack gear around at dirt cheap prices (as it is no longer fashionable) but it would also be extremely easy to blow a lot of money on top notch gear and not get a lot out of it.

I think you're right to look for a processor and midi pedal first. It is perfectly possible that you will find that this in conjunction with your amp will give you all you need. Also perfectly possible that it won't at which time you can move on to trying out preamps and power amps.

As alternatives to the G-Major and as you're short on cash, I'd seriously look into second hand processors on ebay, stuff like the Boss SE-50 and SE-70, Yamaha FX500 and FX550 series and a load of other stuff comes up cheap (sub

• Members

+1 on the boss SE-50.

It's really one of the nicest, easiest processors I've ever used.

THe only thing that irked me was, I couldn't go 100% wet on the guitar specific algorithms.

great tones though and dirt cheap. I'd really like to pick up a VF-1 or SE-70 some day.

• Members

Rack gear is just plain fun to collect and try out.

SE-50 is great for about $50 but no tap tempo, VF-1 with intelligent pitch and tap tempo is a good unit for about $100. Tapping four times was annoying though, usually it's two.

No other MIDI pedal can touch what the FCB1010 can do in terms of amp channel switching, control up to 5 MIDI units and the two expression pedals. Had one for over two years with no problems. Of course it's a little harder to program...it's got more functions!!!

The Roland RSP-550 is a full rack version of the Boss SE-50, which can be found for under $150 here. I also found the older 1/4" jack version of the TC Electronic M-One for under $200.

Until the recent price surge, the Peavey Rock Master was a great buy at about $150 a year ago.

Recently purchased a Peavey MIDIpro which is 8 relays and a very innovative loop switcher for $25!!!

Jun

• Members

Wish all that stuff was readily available over here! :cry:

The UK seems to have done a near complete wipeout of rack gear, all that most shops stock are individual pedals and a few multi effects like the Boss GT8.

There are some quality shops that do still stock stuff where you can try it out but they are few and far between, and often the only place to buy it is at online only retailers or ebay.

Rack gear is a lot more common on ebay US. The end of last year I got my Zoom 9150 preamp/processor from there for

• Members

A lot of the higher end rack stuff do have voltage regulators already built in such as TC Electronic 2290, G-Force, Eventide Eclipse etc etc...

Useful to know.

Most of the older or cheaper models which I was suggesting to try out as a "toe in the water" for rack stuff tend to come with wall warts or power bricks afaik. I saved some shipping cost on my Zoom 9150 from the US as I already had a suitable power supply and told the guy not to bother including the US one as it would be of no use to me and would reduce the weight. :)

Actually thought of another cheapie that is worth a look as a start, and that's the Alesis Quadraverb GT. Again they go for not a lot of money on ebay these days.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Yes, this one is 300 watts maximum capacity. That might be not enought for a poweramp though, since the consuming power is from 350 to 700 watts. 1Kwatts converter is around $100 as well. For a preamp or digiteal processor you can use this cherap small device from China

game_boy_advance_1259.jpg

Archived