Multicore cabling systems...

• Members

...like John Petrucci has in his IIC+ Rig, as demo-d in his instructional vid

(Relevant clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayt8peXy_6U)

Can you buy this sort of stuff commercially (i.e. non-custom-shop)? I've seen the pedalsnake - I figured that it wouldn't be all that hard to stick some jacks into a rack unit and make an interface of sorts (is this a good idea?), but that's pretty makeshift, and I don't know how good it is. Thoughts?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

It's a great way to suck the life out of your tone. If you're petrucci, there is no life to begin with so you loose nothing.

-W

thanks for that.

you really added to this thread.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Gah, even John himself has said that he can't put "musical spaces" in his live playing because there is too much hiss and squeal coming from his rig.

I'm not knocking his playing, even though it's not my cup of tea. I just feel his tone is sterile and lacks dynamics and bloom.

-W

• Members

Gah, even John himself has said that he can't put "musical spaces" in his live playing because there is too much hiss and squeal coming from his rig.

I'm not knocking his playing, even though it's not my cup of tea. I just feel his tone is sterile and lacks dynamics and bloom.

-W

I'd like to know where you heard/read this about his noise issues live, He gates his distorted tones with a dbx, as far as hiss I've seen DT live many times in fact I was at the show at the Moore theater where some of these clips where recorded and heard absolutely no noise issue at all. As far as the tones he has, that's personal opinion so I'm not going to go into that, but I've always thought he had some of the better tones I've heard live and recorded.

• Members

-W

I will conceed that his rig is one of the noisier ones I've heard. I just saw him on the G3 tour in Reno, NV, in a small venue, and I was front and center. I got a good solid up close look at his rig, and during his set, after a song, he would move over and close down his volume pedal, and you could hear quite a bit of high gain noise from his rig before he shut it down. He plays a lot of gain though, and it's all Mesa Mark series (IV I think) and Tri-Axis.

I don't confuse that with the tone of the music though. You don't hear the noise when he is playing, You just hear what he is playing, and he had a great big fat tone. It is more of a smooth low mids type of tone.. like Santana on 'roids. You might not care for it. That's cool. I like it just fine though. And for the record, he does incorporate plenty of space in his playing.

Anyway, none of this relates to having a custom connection to your rack setup. I'm just saying it would be cool to have that kind of setup.

• Members
Anyone knocking John P. had better be one hell of a badass guitarist. Your tone had better be sent from heaven and make girls and grown men alike cry your name, because J.P. is one of the best in the biz. He is in my personal top 10 list. (yes

• Members
Anyone knocking John P. had better be one hell of a badass guitarist. Your tone had better be sent from heaven and make girls and grown men alike cry your name, because J.P. is one of the best in the biz. He is in my personal top 10 list. (yes

• Members

I will conceed that his rig is one of the noisier ones I've heard. I just saw him on the G3 tour in Reno, NV, in a small venue, and I was front and center. I got a good solid up close look at his rig, and during his set, after a song, he would move over and close down his volume pedal, and you could hear quite a bit of high gain noise from his rig before he shut it down. He plays a lot of gain though, and it's all Mesa Mark series (IV I think) and Tri-Axis.

I don't confuse that with the tone of the music though. You don't hear the noise when he is playing, You just hear what he is playing, and he had a great big fat tone. It is more of a smooth low mids type of tone.. like Santana on 'roids. You might not care for it. That's cool. I like it just fine though. And for the record, he does incorporate plenty of space in his playing.

Anyway, none of this relates to having a custom connection to your rack setup. I'm just saying it would be cool to have that kind of setup.

Weird... I have a VERY similar multi-amp switching (4) heads: W/D/W setup- Bradshaw switching, Eventide, TC Electronic, Lexicon etc... and I don't have a noise issue at all.

Granted IF I have my MKIII Simul-Coliseum at stage volume on the high gain setting and don't play: I'd hear an audible hiss from the gain, but when I stop playing I either switch channels, back off the master volume pedal, or switch to another amp.

• Members

Wish there was a closep.

I wonder if its just a stagesnake.

I doubt it. It's most likely a multicore cable w/ a multipin disconnect on either end and the corresponding panel-mount connectors on both the pedal board and a panel in the rack. Just plug/unplug one connector at either end and you're all set.

The wiring isn't too hard if you've got some experience. Designing a custom controller like he's got is another matter.

As far as the wiring goes, different multipin connectors require different assembly techniques. Some (e.g. d-sub) have the pins pre-installed in the unit and you solder wires to solder cups inside the unit. Others (e.g. Elco and DL) don't require soldering (though it can be done to secure connections), but instead need a special crimping tool to crimp pins onto the wires which are then inserted into the body of the connector.

The no-soldering connectors are easier to build, but have a higher upfront cost, because the crimpers can get fairly pricey (IIRC, a DL crimper is a couple hundred $). The soldered connectors don't have that cost, but soldering 20-40 wires in that tight of a space takes a good iron and some skill.

-Dan.

• Members

I doubt it. It's most likely a multicore cable w/ a multipin disconnect on either end and the corresponding panel-mount connectors on both the pedal board and a panel in the rack. Just plug/unplug one connector at either end and you're all set.

The wiring isn't too hard if you've got some experience. Designing a custom controller like he's got is another matter.

As far as the wiring goes,
different multipin connectors
require different assembly techniques. Some (e.g. d-sub) have the pins pre-installed in the unit and you solder wires to solder cups inside the unit. Others (e.g. Elco and DL) don't require soldering (though it can be done to secure connections), but instead need a special crimping tool to crimp pins onto the wires which are then inserted into the body of the connector.

The no-soldering connectors are easier to build, but have a higher upfront cost, because the crimpers can get fairly pricey (IIRC, a DL crimper is a couple hundred $). The soldered connectors don't have that cost, but soldering 20-40 wires in that tight of a space takes a good iron and some skill.

-Dan.

You are correct. Notice on the top left of his pedal board:

cae%20pedalboard.jpg

• Members

Really though....

I do want to build or buy a multi pin connector for my setup. I run a rack with a GCX, and my board consists of a DMC Ground Controller, a crybaby, and a whammy, plus, sometimes a talkbox. I run the whammy and crybaby in GCX loops, so I have 4 20 foot 1/4" cables running back and forth. This plus 2 Midi chords, and I am thinking of running extended power lines that I will make from the rack unit out to the pedals. All of this is wrapped up in flexable black plastic cable tubing that I got at a performance auto store. I would like to replace all of this with a multi pin setup, but I'm not sure I have the skill to make it. (or 200-300 bucks to get the stuff!)

• Members

Really though....

I do want to build or buy a multi pin connector for my setup. I run a rack with a GCX, and my board consists of a DMC Ground Controller, a crybaby, and a whammy, plus, sometimes a talkbox. I run the whammy and crybaby in GCX loops, so I have 4 20 foot 1/4" cables running back and forth. This plus 2 Midi chords, and I am thinking of running extended power lines that I will make from the rack unit out to the pedals. All of this is wrapped up in flexable black plastic cable tubing that I got at a performance auto store. I would like to replace all of this with a multi pin setup, but I'm not sure I have the skill to make it. (or 200-300 bucks to get the stuff!)

Contact Dave a LA Sound Design:

http://www.lasounddesign.net/#home

or Lyle a Psionic Audio Sound Design:

http://www.psionicaudio.com/main/index.htm

They are ULTRA knowledgable and COOL, and may be able to give you some tips

Archived