TC electronics G Major

Marshall 9200

4x12" or 2x12" with Celestion vintage 30s

I don't think so, I think you're thinking of the G-Force, or G-System

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fractal is out of the question if you are in a hurry to get something. They are backlogged with orders and there is a waiting list. (Shows the popularity of these units.) I believe the latest batch is going to peeps waiting since Jan. I'm on the April wait list and hope to have one by at least the end of the year.

One other suggestion you may try is an Axess BS-2. I use one in conjunction with my GRX4 and it will clean up the signal loss and other crap from long cable runs. May be a quicker fix then getting another processor.

Shoot Mario an e-mail on his web site and tell him your dilemma. He will steer you in the right direction.

good luck
:)

This might be possible.

Fractal? I had a look on their website, looks very good in deed. How long might I have to wait for such a device and how much is it likely to cost? I could maybe get G Major soon and get one of these Fractal things later. I think it will be far out of my price range for the moment anyhow.

What was this about OS versions of G Major, or was it G Force. It is late here, maybe check this out another day or something.

• Members

Is the Digitech GSP 2101 good enough as a just rack guitar processor? I talked to a few 2101 fans and they were quite satisfied by the price/quality proportion. There's a scratch though: it's no longer produced.

I had a 2112 12 years ago and it was pretty adequate as far as effects. The preamp section gave more of a Vinnie Moore type warm distortion as opposed to high gain 80's type stuff. You can usually find them on eBay or Craig's List. If you go with the 2112 you might want to get the 2120 chip and upgrade.

• Members

unlike the 2101, both 2112 and 2120 haven't got the preamp section bypassed. I mean they can't be used as a just rack procs. I'm looking for a 2101 with an S-Disc PPS-210 like 2101 LE or just an Artist with that card embeded. The last price I saw was $400 I ignored the item (L.E.) I want to wate till I meet $300 or may be $350 for that one.

• Members

So there is no way to fix the bugs with G Major through software update?

I had a look at the user reviews of G Major. A decisive majority of people cited major problems with reliability of unit. There were very few complaints about the overall sound quality but plenty about the reliabilty.

I think I will join the yahoo group and see if I can gather if the risk can be minimized. Some people seem to have had 0 problems with reliability, whilst others have had non stop problems.

The new price of the G force is decreasing also. Maybe concider one of them if I can build up the funds. Does it 'suck tone' in any noticable way i.e poor A/D and D/A converters? I would like to route 100% of my signal path through my effects unit in the effects loop of my sansamp psa-1 so I get more control over the tone.

• Members

The new price of the G force is decreasing also. Maybe concider one of them if I can build up the funds. Does it 'suck tone' in any noticable way i.e poor A/D and D/A converters? I would like to route 100% of my signal path through my effects unit in the effects loop of my sansamp psa-1 so I get more control over the tone.

Just about anything that is not true bypass put in a series FX loop will color the tone somewhat...having said that the G-Force is one of the more transparent units I've used.

• Members

Just about anything that is not true bypass put in a series FX loop will color the tone somewhat...having said that the G-Force is one of the more transparent units I've used.

True. Any tone changes I experienced I was able to counter with my Rane Parametric EQ. I had way more tone degredation from my wireless unit. I'm still kinda grouchy about making that move. It's needed for some of our live show production but I would rather be wired :(

• Members

Zach and Dan. Do you have to run in kill dry mode for a parallel loop? I've tried it parallel in my set set up and didn't like the results. Sound sort of out of phase...

Yeah, that's the recommended way of running it. Phase issues and parallel routing seems to go hand in hand very often. I personally prefer to run it serial most of the time and enjoy all cool things the G-Force can do with this configuration.

• Members

Zach and Dan. Do you have to run in kill dry mode for a parallel loop? I've tried it parallel in my set set up and didn't like the results. Sound sort of out of phase...

Ya, but IMO it sounds LAME in a parallel loop, justbecause I know what it can sound like, being run in series vs parallel. I'd would rather take a line out from the amp to the input of the TC, and run the out of the TC to the loop return. ;) ;) :idea: or mic your dry cab and send that signal to a good mic pre and send that signal to the TC, out of the TC to a seperate power source and run the wet signal through a different cab, perferrably 2 cabs (stereo)

• Members

I run preamp out to the tc in then tc out to my power amp and it sounds awesome. I was just wondering if i was missing something even better by doing it this way instead of in the loop. Let me tell ya I find myself playing clean parts way more often because it just sounds so gosh darn good!

• Members

I run preamp out to the tc in then tc out to my power amp and it sounds awesome. I was just wondering if i was missing something even better by doing it this way instead of in the loop. Let me tell ya I find myself playing clean parts way more often because it just sounds so gosh darn good!

I would say you are doing it the better way, than the loop. NOT all loops are created equally and can impart their own coloration, and usually do. Using a load box, which will bump your dry amp speaker level signal down to a line level signal that you can feed your TC with, will give you more oomph-- as you are not only using your amps preamp section tone into the TC, but also the power section of your amp into the equation as well. (WAY BIGGER sounding)

The only other way that I would do it (JUST to try it) would be using a mic on the Dry cab and running that to a Chandler mic pre (Cha Ching, not cheap) then to a mixer, and feeding the TC with that signal, then running the TC outs to your power amp, then to your wet cabs. (This is how Larry Carlton and Michael Landau run their setups) Larry Carlton actuall runs 2 powered speakers for his wet signal.

I told you, you'd dig that unit... hehehehe they are GREAT!!!!!

• Members

It's TC Electronic's "entry level" rack processor which is NOT a bad thing. Nice sounding unit, pretty straight forward as far as it's interface goes, not as good of A/D converters as the G-Force, and the construction isn't SUPER (The parameter wheels have been known to glitch or come off, but if you handle it with respect, it should be fine) but a pretty decent unit overall. Big bang for the $$$
:thu:

+1. G Major is what I use. Plenty of processing power for my needs, at the moment. However, owning it has made me really want to upgrade to a G Force.

If you are a rack processor noob (like me), start wth the G Major. Like Zach said, "Big band for the buck". They're only $400 new without haggling and do so much.

• Members

Fractal is out of the question if you are in a hurry to get something. They are backlogged with orders and there is a waiting list. (Shows the popularity of these units.) I believe the latest batch is going to peeps waiting since Jan. I'm on the April wait list and hope to have one by at least the end of the year.

I just got mine today and have been on the list since the first week of Feb. So far, it's too early to give a review. But it's definately built really well

• Members

I just got mine today and have been on the list since the first week of Feb. So far, it's too early to give a review. But it's definately built really well

sweet! which one did you get? Definitely give us a critique when you're up and running. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

no one mentioned the TC-G-system.It does it all.V2>?Fixed a ton of stuff and it works very well.My friend and the guy in porcupine tree is using one.No dropouts and it channel switches.No crazy fx like the eventide but enough to do the basics very well.

• Members

no one mentioned the TC-G-system.It does it all.V2>?Fixed a ton of stuff and it works very well.My friend and the guy in porcupine tree is using one.No dropouts and it channel switches.No crazy fx like the eventide but enough to do the basics very well.

The G-Force is a more proficient unit with better dynamic range, higher max output level (more head room=cleaner signal), and IMO the G-Force sounds better than the G-System. They are both in the $1000 neighborhood and if I had to choose between those 2 units, I'd get the G-Force.

That being said, I know that I am extreme in my gear choices, but... that's just me. Either the G-Major, G-Force or G-System would make a decent choice for a rig and all factors should be weighed carefully when choosing components for a rig, as there are potentially large amounts of $$$ to be lost during resale, if one decides to make a change.

Plan for future growth because even if you don't think you'll need to, my experience shows that growth and change are inevitable. As experiences with gear grow along with our understanding of how things work, what we expect from our gear will also change.

Proverbial wisdom time:

Life is growth, growth is change and change is inevitable. ;):lol:

Keye%20Luke%20Master%20Po.jpg

Archived