GSP 2101...Stereo or Mono?

• Members

Right now I am running Mono...Is this the best choice for live use? Cause I ran stereo live once...I gotta be honest...The only one who new it was in stereo was me...On stage only..But to the audience...It was not heard like I hear it....But on stage in mono...I hear it clearer and it is easier to mic the cabinet...!

• Members

stereo for recording. stereo for bedroom playing and when you want. but for live application, it is as you said.... you are the only one who will know.... except for the pple right in the right spot at the show.

according to the book i read. for live application mono is the way to go.

London Power

DIY Speaker cabinets

for musical instrument applications

by Kevin O'Connor

pretty good read.

• Members

you are the only one who will know.... except for the pple right in the right spot at the show.

That's total BS and I've proved it to several sound techs that always ran in mono. They don't anymore. If the P.A. is set up correctly the entire audience will hear the difference. Look at it this way. When you listen to music in your car you are closer to to one side yet you can still hear the stereo FX.

• Members

If running in stereo didn't sound different to the audience then you need to fire your sound tech. Being able to run stereo FX on guitars and vocals makes a huge difference. When you run in mono all of the instruments are squashed into the center and the mix turns to mud.

I think he meant his personal rig regarding the mono/stereo settings rather than the PA. There are two issues here, one is that it didn't sound as clear on stage to him using a stereo rig as opposed to a mono one, and secondly that it obviously wasn't mic'd up right if the audience wasn't getting the stereo effect.

• Members

one is that it didn't sound as clear on stage to him using a stereo rig as opposed to a mono one

That's a valid point but it sounds more like a speaker placement problem or too loud of a stage volume rather than a stereo/mono problem.

Archived