Rack newbie looking for some help with midi loopers and racks in general

• Members

Hey guys. I'm a pedal guy looking at going rack.

I like the simplicity of having a small rack behind me and just a MIDI controller on the floor in front, instead of a large, heavy pedalboard.

It will all go into a Sovtek MIG-50 with a 4x10 boogie cab.

All I need is good delay, reverb, and modulation.

I've pretty much decided to get the G-sharp processor from TC Electronic, as it sounds really good to my ears, better than my stompboxes.

I want to run 3 analog pedals, a boost, a RAT, and a Expandora Fuzz.

What is the easiest way to switch them via MIDI? I've seen some looper units around here but they all seem very complicated and horrendously expensive.

Any help would be apreciated!

Cheers, Ben.

• Members

those are nice amps, I just remember have the perfect AC/DC tone with it!

but you might want to check out the G-system, since you have no FX loop, its like everything you need, but on the floor. I all most got it, but went with the G-force, now I wish I would have just gotten the G system. here's the a link, it has effects, loops for other pedals you want to use, and it plugs right into the in put of your sovtek, watch the all the video's

http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=TM1iaQAA1181762812&command=link--tcegsys

• Members

Thanks for the replies all. Is there any loopers that are a bit cheaper than the axess unit? I was looking at the axess looper and their small midi controller, and it's $500 already, just to control gear I already have! I'm only a weekend warrior, and i probably don't need somthing so amazingly good . . .

suggestions?

• Members

You could look for a very scarce Peavey MIDI pro (about $150 if you're lucky) which is sort of a dual looper and 8 relay switches but it now takes up a whole rack space.

Going rack = money pit

The FCB1010 is a great MIDI controller for under $100 used.

Jun

• Members

Axess is probably the cheapest.

There's GCX

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcontrolpro.htm

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm

The pair is probably around $750. Used a set is about $600

Switchblade ranges from $1000-$1900 with no control board.

You can get simply loopers, which sit on the pedalboard -- but that ain't a rack unit.

You can go hang around diystompboxes.com and maybe make your own if you're handy with a soldering iron.

You're in for a world of hurt now. Racks ain't cheap and once you get hooked things can get crazy around here.

• Members

Other looper options include:

Laney Babelswitch - 4 relay switches and two loops. Discontinued and rare as hens teeth but a good unit and relatively cheap if you can find one.

Rolls RFX Patchwork RPX93 - believe this is also discontinued but had 4 relay switches plus 4 loops. No idea of quality.

Kenton GS8 - again discontinued but this is the business if you find one. 2 relays and 6 loops by default all of which can be configured as relay switches if so desired.

Nobels also make individual relay and looping rack units so have a look at their website.

Good luck with it.

Archived