So I got a Digitech DHP-33 and a DHP-55

• Members

I hear ya...I own both as well and I've heard the same thing. I MUCH prefer the DHP-55/Studio 5000. The 33's do the shimmer and arpeggiation thing SLIGHTLY better/differently. The 55's are pretty much untouchable for everything else.

What is the studio 5000? I'm looking for something like the dhp 55 I don't need all the whammy stuff.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What about price and availability wise? I'm pretty sure all mentioned units are out of production.

Yeah, the IVL processors were discontinued years ago. All I can tell you is....if you see one buy it! :poke:

Sorta related......

I do believe IVL is back onboard with Digitech making the new and very incredible Vocalist line...here's hoping for a racked 8 voice intelligent shifter for guitar.:D

• Members

Yeah, the IVL processors were discontinued years ago. All I can tell you is....if you see one buy it! :poke:

Sorta related......

I do believe IVL is back onboard with Digitech making the new and very incredible Vocalist line...here's hoping for a racked 8 voice intelligent shifter for guitar.
:D

That would be :eek:

• Members

hey guys! Quick question.. has anybody ever had a problem with your DHP-55 not "getting along" with other rack gear? I connected the DHP-55 in the loop of a Boss GT-Pro and it really sounds terrible with the whammy effect! It only does it when in the loop of the GT-Pro.. I know its not distortion from clipping or anything because I set my level really low and it still did it. I'm thinking its from all the D/A conversion going on between the two and maybe they use different sample rates which is cause some sort of dithering, aliasing, whatever you call it... I think I might have to sell it because the GT is my main rig and I only use the DHP for whammy on a few songs.. Sad though, because I really never scratched the surface of what the DHP can do. BTW, what firmware did the studio 5000 have? my DHP55 has reverb which I've been told only the 5000 had.

• Members

You really need to put the guitar input straight into the DHP left input so that the pitch detection works properly. Don't put any effects between guitar and DHP. If you put the GT-Pro in the FX loop of the DHP it should work a lot better. This will mean the compressor and gate (and most importantly, the feed-forward of the pre-compressed audio for pitch control) of the DHP will be ahead of the GT-Pro, and all the DHP's pitch shifting and digital effects will be after the GT-Pro in the signal chain. Just remember to enable the FX loop of the DHP. Good luck, let us know if this works for you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok, I've been reading this thread and I'm kinda lost.

I want to use this incredible piece of gear but I'm lost on the hook ups. Can you guys help.

I have a dhp 55, gsp2101, sgx 2000 expresss, going into to boogie 2:90. What is the best way to make the most of what I've got. It would be cool if I could use the 55 with the 2101 and 2000 into different channels with the 2:90. how can I do that?

• Members

Guitar > right input of DHP55

DHP55 FX send > input of 2101

2101 FX send > DHP55 FX return

DHP55 l/r outs > 2101 l/r FX return (assuming you want stereo)

2101 master outs > boogie

This is basically how I use my JMP1 and DHP together.

If you got something like a GCX Audio switcher, you could set it up to have either 2101 or sgx2000 in the DHP's FX loop.

• Members

Guitar > right input of DHP55

DHP55 FX send > input of 2101

2101 FX send > DHP55 FX return

DHP55 l/r outs > 2101 l/r FX return (assuming you want stereo)

2101 master outs > boogie

This is basically how I use my JMP1 and DHP together.

If you got something like a GCX Audio switcher, you could set it up to have either 2101 or sgx2000 in the DHP's FX loop.

wicker.man thanks much for the tips! I will try that this weekend. I am excited to finally hear how good my rig can be :thu:

Craig

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Thread necromancy!

I've been going back over my old setup and replacing/reorganizing things. Finally got my pedals racked and hooked into the GCX. Weird, I used to think that racking pedals was pointless. Now (after only a few hours of having them that way) it makes so much more sense. I've got them on top of my rack right now; it's a temporary solution, but it's nice having them within reach without having to bend over. I may try to work out a setup where they're always up there. Only issue is that my tap-tempo on my Echo Park isn't within foot reach, but I can push the switch as easily with my hand as my foot, so that's not such a problem.

In any case, partly inspired by watching the Popmart, Mexico City DVD over the weekend, I started fooling around with how to get my DHP 55 to do a decent Whammy effect (i.e., the intro to Mofo, the intro to Even Better...).

It's kind of a pain, and I'm not happy with the solution, but I think I've got it working.

Problems:

1) I cannot get the damn DHP to recognize the proper MIDI CC (channel 007) to let me use my expression pedal through the GCX, so I've got it hooked into the expression pedal switch in the back of the unit instead.

Solution? Temporary. At worst, I may have to get a second expression pedal if I can't figure this one out. The manual is worthless when it comes to MIDI implementation (at least, to my relatively newbie senses).

2) The thing still doesn't really want to track as well as I'd like it to. Since it's plugged into the GCX, technically there shouldn't really be an appreciable signal loss between the GCX input and the rear MONO input on the DHP. And compared to the sorts of losses and issues I was getting with it before I knew that the tracking problem was caused by a lack of direct signal, it's a lot better. But there're still issues.

Solution? Possible - instead of using the normal send/return jacks out of the back of the GCX, I'm trying the "feed thru" rear output straight into the rear input of the DHP, then from its output back into the GCX's "return" jack. This seems to fix a couple problems, but means that I'm going to have to re-position my fuzz pedal in the chain if I want it to alter the signal before it hits the DHP.

Anyone else been playing around with their DHPs?

• Members

I ended up selling my DHP55.. when used in conjuction with my Boss GT-Pro I go some really weird digital artifacts.. perhaps each unit ran at a different sample rate and it was causing aliasing. I dunno but it was unbearable. I've decided just to rack mount my WH4 whammy since its midi capable and the treadle happens to be dead on it anyways :D I'd still like to try the DHP-33 and whichever other Digitech/IVL units were capable of Whammy but I didnt have much luck with the DHP-55. Plus, trying to get unity gain is a nightmare so that's a few less effects loops to worry about.

• Members

Thread necromancy!

I've been going back over my old setup and replacing/reorganizing things. Finally got my pedals racked and hooked into the GCX. Weird, I used to think that racking pedals was pointless. Now (after only a few hours of having them that way) it makes so much more sense. I've got them on top of my rack right now; it's a temporary solution, but it's nice having them within reach without having to bend over. I may try to work out a setup where they're always up there. Only issue is that my tap-tempo on my Echo Park isn't within foot reach, but I can push the switch as easily with my hand as my foot, so that's not such a problem.

In any case, partly inspired by watching the Popmart, Mexico City DVD over the weekend, I started fooling around with how to get my DHP 55 to do a decent Whammy effect (i.e., the intro to Mofo, the intro to Even Better...).

It's kind of a pain, and I'm not happy with the solution, but I think I've got it working.

Problems:

1) I cannot get the damn DHP to recognize the proper MIDI CC (channel 007) to let me use my expression pedal through the GCX, so I've got it hooked into the expression pedal switch in the back of the unit instead.

Solution? Temporary. At worst, I may have to get a second expression pedal if I can't figure this one out. The manual is worthless when it comes to MIDI implementation (at least, to my relatively newbie senses).

2) The thing still doesn't really want to track as well as I'd like it to. Since it's plugged into the GCX, technically there shouldn't really be an appreciable signal loss between the GCX input and the rear MONO input on the DHP. And compared to the sorts of losses and issues I was getting with it before I knew that the tracking problem was caused by a lack of direct signal, it's a lot better. But there're still issues.

Solution? Possible - instead of using the normal send/return jacks out of the back of the GCX, I'm trying the "feed thru" rear output straight into the rear input of the DHP, then from its output back into the GCX's "return" jack. This seems to fix a couple problems, but means that I'm going to have to re-position my fuzz pedal in the chain if I want it to alter the signal before it hits the DHP.

Anyone else been playing around with their DHPs?

You know what, I have the same problem where you said:

Problems:

Howwever, I can't even get a regular expression pedal to work through the back of the unit????

It's really irritating. I mean, I wouldn't use the whammy function much, but I'd still like to get it to work :(

• Members

You know what, I have the same problem where you said:

Problems:

Howwever, I can't even get a regular expression pedal to work through the back of the unit????

It's really irritating. I mean, I wouldn't use the whammy function much, but I'd still like to get it to work
:(

Have you already done the various setups for the expression pedal under the "Mod" menu?

And I know the frustration. I'm ever so close to getting a decent "shimmer" effect, but it still eludes me.

Fortunately, I figured out another solution for the Whammy/distortion thing. I'm just using one of the P2D configs, which lets me dial in a decent distortion. The Whammy tracks fine, and I'm not even doing anything funky with the input. Only difference is that there's nothing else switched on ahead of the DHP.

It actually sounds pretty good.

• Members

The whole GCPro controller thing isnt hard to do..If you want I can take some time to explain how to make it work with you expression pedal thats hooked up to the port on the GCPro..

Don't bother hooking it up to the back of the DHP55 the GCPRO allows more control and is convenient as well when you are editing your presets.

The MIDI on the 55 is kind of wierd but you have to sit down and read the manual..Slowly:)

• Members

The whole GCPro controller thing isnt hard to do..If you want I can take some time to explain how to make it work with you expression pedal thats hooked up to the port on the GCPro..

Don't bother hooking it up to the back of the DHP55. The MIDI on the 55 is kind of wierd but you have to sit down and read the manual..Slowly:)

I'd definitely love to hear how you went about doing it. It's not that I really need the expression pedal for a whole lot else at the moment, but it'd be nice to be able to use it for other things as I need them, and having it hooked into the back of the DHP is, if nothing else, using a cable that I could better use elsewhere.

I've been through the MIDI section of the manual a few times, and had approximately nil luck in finding anything useful.

So your expertise would be appreciated, for sure.

Was curious, too - would you say that the response is equal on the pedal in MIDI implementation as opposed to being plugged straight in to the rear input?

• Members

Have you already done the various setups for the expression pedal under the "Mod" menu?

And I know the frustration. I'm ever so close to getting a decent "shimmer" effect, but it still eludes me.

Fortunately, I figured out another solution for the Whammy/distortion thing. I'm just using one of the P2D configs, which lets me dial in a decent distortion. The Whammy tracks fine, and I'm not even doing anything funky with the input. Only difference is that there's nothing else switched on ahead of the DHP.

It actually sounds pretty good.

Thanks,

Yes, I have done the setup a few times, but I just can't seem to get it to work :(

I'll keep trying. Everything else works great on the unit so I know it must be 'user error' ;)

• Members

I'd definitely love to hear how you went about doing it. It's not that I really need the expression pedal for a whole lot else at the moment, but it'd be nice to be able to use it for other things as I need them, and having it hooked into the back of the DHP is, if nothing else, using a cable that I could better use elsewhere.

I've been through the MIDI section of the manual a few times, and had approximately nil luck in finding anything useful.

Was curious, too - would you say that the response is equal on the pedal in MIDI implementation as opposed to being plugged straight in to the rear input?

Yes, MIDI works the same as long as you are not chaining more than 3-4 units thru together.. Then you might see some degradation at that point

• Members

Sorry it took so long man..

Ready? Here it is Step By Step.

Maybe you could print this out and get in front of your rig..

So, at any rate if you want to use the DHP-55's CC messages with the expression pedal that you have hooked up to your CGPRO you select a preset in the Controller that has the patch from the DHP-55 you want to control.

On the GCPRO: Go to Edit and scoll through your devices using the Bank Down button.

You will eventually come to a menu that has the pedal CTRLER number and a pedal calibration indication 0-128.

Sweep through the pedals range and you should see the numbers to the left change with the pedals motion..If not you need to go back to setup and make sure your Pedal is on and recognized.

Next you must change the CTRLER number to one that will correspond with the one you assign in the DHP-55 global CC menu.

Pick a number using the increment + /- buttons. Just pick any number that is not in use by your other MIDI devices.

Now select the button to the left that has on the GCPRO. It will point towards what device the expression pedal will control. Pick the DHP-55. This is crucial as many people miss this part.

Still with me? :thu:

While still in EDIT mode on the GCPRO, go back to the beginning of the Menu where you pick your devices using the bank up down buttons..

Select DHP-55.

Now, using the +/- buttons step through the 55's programs. Pick the one you want to assign a CC message to.

Once you do go to the MIDI key on the DHP-55. Push it a couple times until it comes to CC edit. Push the edit key and you will come to a menu.

Select the number that you just assigned to the GCPRO's CTRLER in the last step and then pick which parameter you want to control.

The last step is picking want you want the pedal to do with that parameter.

After that just experiement with the cool ass stuff you can do with contiunous controller messages and expression pedals..Very cool sounds that can be explored..

Hope that helps and feel free to post any questions you may have..Joel

• Members

I love it when you go through the Hassle of posting stuff in detail and the guy never shows back up..

Funny you should post this today. I've been unable to get back on long enough to post anything (connection issues) or read anything, not to mention that I've been so busy that I've not had a chance to switch on the unit since before I posted the last time.

This is literally the first time I've been on here since before you posted your description. I was just getting ready to post a thank you (since I'm on campus with a couple minutes to spare).

I still owe you the thank you (so a sincere "thanks" to you), but I won't apologize for not having had enough time in my life to have visited the site since the last time.

I appreciate the help, though, and I'll let you know if it works out. I'm sure it will, you sound like you know what you're talking about.

• Members

Funny you should post this today. I've been unable to get back on long enough to post anything (connection issues) or read anything, not to mention that I've been so busy that I've not had a chance to switch on the unit since before I posted the last time.

This is literally the first time I've been on here since before you posted your description. I was just getting ready to post a thank you (since I'm on campus with a couple minutes to spare).

I still owe you the thank you (so a sincere "thanks" to you), but I won't apologize for not having had enough time in my life to have visited the site since the last time.

I appreciate the help, though, and I'll let you know if it works out. I'm sure it will, you sound like you know what you're talking about.

HAHA. No problem man, I wasnt trying to be an ass. I just hope you can work your rig out.. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Joel

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Hi there,

I have a DHP33 and am having trouble getting the whammy effect to work with my boss ev5 pedal.

I plug the ev5 into my rocktron midi mate cc input and have enabled the pedal on the midi mate & 'i thought' i had allowed cc control of the pitch bend parameter in the DHP33 but i get no pitch bend/whammy effect at all.

I tried plugging directly into the cc in of the dhp33 as well and this seems to work fine, not sure where i am going wrong here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Archived