MIDI phantom power- legit or B.S.?

• Members

I'm looking for an inexpensive yet functional midi foot controller board. I've been looking at the RFX/Rolls MP128 Midi Buddy. It lists midi phantom power as a feature in the product description at the online retailers. However when I look at the actual manual (RFX one at least) it states that it is not a supported feature but users can do a phantom power midi mod at their own risk. Does Rolls now officially support this feature on this model? Is anybody using this board and if so, how do you like it?

• Members

I have a Rolls MIDI Buddy and it's survived beer spills, drops and kicks. Works great and easy to use. I used the phantom power with one of my preamps.

Granted it doesn't have the heavy duty Carli switches but it can handle the job

• Members

The Rolls comes factory ready to accept power on the two pins out of the standard 5 that aren't used for Midi data.

What you have to do is make sure you use a Midi cable that has all 5 cores wired up as some only have the three Midi data ones and then provide the power down the cable some how.

This can be done by modding an EFX processor if it uses DC current and is the first thing in the Midi chain. Some manufacturers provide this in their gear by default, Rolls (obviously) and Nobels spring to mind.

My solution was to get a custom built power supply built which does the job, it's the Orchid unit at the bottom of my rack in the picture below. Midi lead from pedal goes in the front socket which supplies the power while the Midi socket at the rear of the unit is only connected through on the three data cores.

The Orchid also provides 9 and 12 volt DC supplies for other gear in the rack as well as a couple of mains sockets so that I only need a single plug socket to run.

Front view.

rackfront.jpg

Rear view.

rackback.jpg

• Members

How do you have a midi device hooked up to a preamp? Doesn't it have midi connections only?

PS...your avatar is awesome!

I used a 7 pin MIDI cable and plugged the wall wart into the phantom power outlet on the preamp and the other end in my Furman.

• Members

I had a Rolls Midi Buddy a while back that I used with an MP-1. I just hacked up and used a wall wart to get the power to the foot controller. Worked fine, although it didn't look too nice with all the electric tape i used.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived