Diving into the rack world!

• Members

Hey guys, I was thinking about finally going for the gusto and making my dream rig. I am thinking of making a head/rack case.

Amp: Triamp Mk2 W/ Midi module.

Now I am not planning on running a backup, but I will have my Marshall DSL head in the car, in case something goes down, but at big gigs, I will have it ready on standby on top of the rack case.

Now for the rack itself, I want to get a case that has the rack on one side, then vertical storage on the other.

I am going to need a decent power supply (can you guys recomend one)

I am going to get a GCX, and rack all my pedals (7) so that is 3 spaces.

I will need a tuner (korg dtr-1 is good enough)

I do not want to go wireless.

I do not want a multi fx unit, I do not want a rack wah.

What else should I consider for going in it?

It looks like I will end up with a 6 space rack on top of the head, or 8 space if I want to make rack drawers for storage.

For the pedal board, I am thinking of an All Access, and my wah. I should be able to in real time use the board to switch between the channels on the amp, and switch the gcx for my effects pourposes.

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks

Mike

• Members

Why not a rack mounted WAH?

Have you ever seen the DSR-2SR? It blows all wahs away.

Tuner, check out the new StroboRack.

I know you said no mulit-FX, and but for delay only -- you may want to consider Eventide or ?...

Most people don't use storage drawer due to pure weight. Unless you're doing a road crew. And then you may as well use a storage case backstage.

• Members

Well for the storage, Im only thinking of tubes/fuses etc for the triamp. And maybe a notebook or two with various music/notes about the rig and what not. Just to consolidate my tool box you know?

Also, I might consider a delay, but I RARLEY use it. My boss dd-6 does all I need, and when I use it, I never need more than one setting a song. Im not a huge delay fan either. I am really content with my pedal board.

I have an area51 wah that I am very content with, and spening nearly 700 on a wah (I dont use wah that much) seems a little too much for me!

I have never played one, but bet it would be a REALLY nice addition! I will consider it! thanks!

I have a nice Peterson unit at home for adjusting and setting up my gear, I am really thinking of the dtr1 as a cheap stage tuner type thing. I will also have a TU2 out on the floor.

So now the rack section is looking like:

spaces Unit

(2) pedal shelf

(1) GCX

(1) Power

(1) DTR-1000

(2) Storage

(1) open space.

+ the head, and the casters (and space between ~2 inches)

The total height of the case should be about 30 inches. Which is pretty managable.

Now for the All Access, I cannot find any pictures of the back of one of the blue ones, does anyone have one? Do they have a jack in that I could plug my wah into? so I can run like guitar --> wah->all access --(midi)-->Gcx/Amp

• Members

I am not that concerned about weight, I like the idea of having my whole rig together, and I will always have help.

So your buddies say now...until they move it a few times while hammered at 3am.

I know this is monster rack and don't get me wrong...they look amazingly cool, but an 8 spacer will be enough to lift on it's own...forget the head and all the wiring, floorboard and then the cab and guitars. Do what you want, but humping something like that is going to kill you after a couple months.:idk:

What's the size of your rig right now? How often do you move it?

• Members

My rig currently is 1 head, a large pedal board in an ata case(pedaltrain pro), a 4x12 and a multi guitar case (2 guitars).

Here is the proposed rack: It is pretty self explainable---I can reduce it and take out the pedalboard slot and use its own case to help portability if It would be worth it. I will start adding weight of each individual units.

n1234380665_30064897_7037.jpg

• Members

Hey guys, I was thinking about finally going for the gusto and making my dream rig. I am thinking of making a head/rack case.

Amp: Triamp Mk2 W/ Midi module.

Now I am not planning on running a backup, but I will have my Marshall DSL head in the car, in case something goes down, but at big gigs, I will have it ready on standby on top of the rack case.

Now for the rack itself, I want to get a case that has the rack on one side, then vertical storage on the other.

I am going to need a decent power supply (can you guys recomend one)

I am going to get a GCX, and rack all my pedals (7) so that is 3 spaces.

I will need a tuner (korg dtr-1 is good enough)

I do not want to go wireless.

I do not want a multi fx unit, I do not want a rack wah.

What else should I consider for going in it?

It looks like I will end up with a 6 space rack on top of the head, or 8 space if I want to make rack drawers for storage.

For the pedal board, I am thinking of an All Access, and my wah. I should be able to in real time use the board to switch between the channels on the amp, and switch the gcx for my effects pourposes.

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks

Mike

I would consider getting an ATA rated Shock rack, to protect your goodies, and get rear rack rails. They tend to come in handy. You may also consider on the rear of the rack mounting some lights so (God forbid) something needs trouble shooting, you can see your connections well.

For the power supply, are you talking about a pedal power supply or a Power conditioner/Voltage regulator?

Just in case, here are two that you may consider:

This is rack mountable

1173400892_MC403_463x342.jpg

FURMAN_AR15.jpg

• Members

I am talking about a Power conditioner, I have a Pedal Power 2+ that I will use for the pedals. Although that mxr/cae unit looks very interesting!

Remember guys, this is my big rig, and I also have a smaller one that is more appropriate for smaller gigs.

As for the case, I am thinking of going with a custom 1/4 ata case that is somewhat like the diagram I made, because I know that the case won't have to go through air shipping or such.

• Members

I have a head/rack case for my triamp mkII that I use only for big tours. It has a 6 space rack and a 4" deep drawer below the head. With the 3" castors, it stands about four inches higher then a normal halfstack. It weighs about 160lbs empty, and about 260lbs loaded. It barely fits in the back of my suzuki grand vitara suv in order for me to get it from my garage to the bus for tours. I need my neighbors help to move it, as even though the weight isn't so much an issue, it's very large and awkward.

What it does offer is a great deal of protection, and with the drawer, it takes me all of 30 seconds to connect my cab and pull out my midi footswitch and wah and get everything plugged in and running.

Here's what the case looks like:

amprack2.jpg

Again though, unless you go on long tours a lot and you have help, it's just not worth it, get a seperate rack. For local shows, I move everything to a skb rack and the head is on its own. . . although I do plug straight into the amp for shorter gigs.

-W

• Members

That is a great point. Maybe I should just stick with a pedal board, head and cab. And buy a good power conditioner. EDIT: also starsnuffer, can you measure your triamp's footswitch dimensions? I sent you a PM, idk if you got it or not!

Thanks,

Mike

• Members

I am talking about a Power conditioner, I have a Pedal Power 2+ that I will use for the pedals. Although that mxr/cae unit looks very interesting!

Remember guys, this is my big rig, and I also have a smaller one that is more appropriate for smaller gigs.

As for the case, I am thinking of going with a custom 1/4 ata case that is somewhat like the diagram I made, because I know that the case won't have to go through air shipping or such.

Good man. The main considerations, for me, regarding power conditioners are:

1. Does it ACTUALLY "condition" the power (For those {censored}ty clubs that have the power on the same line as the refrigerator and the stage lights)

2. Voltage Regulator- Because sometimes the electric company will run you at 110 or lower to save a few bucks, or when playing with a generator powering the stage power.

3. Surge protection (Most have this)

• Members

I made my mind against going the rack route. I am just going to run my pedal board, amp head, cab. Leave the backup amp in the car. Also, I will spend on a GOOD power conditioner as one of my next purchases.

These are the two to consider:

Furman AR-15

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=AR-15_II

Furman PF Pro-R

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=PF-PROR

Or they have this one for a floor based solution:

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=PF-PRO

With what you're doing, you could easily rack mount your pedals and with a good floor controller, eliminate the tap dance routine, by creating automated preset moves-BUT retain the ability to select them ON/OFF in real time. This could be done in a fairly small, easily portable rack. Either way you decide to go, have fun.

• Members

I sent you a PM. We've had gigs all week and I forgot that my footswitch for the triamp is at our rehersal spot, not at home. I'm headed over there now and will get the dimentions to you. (I usually switch via midi and I've been using my bogner for smaller gigs).

-W

• Members

I think I am still going to pursue making my big rig.

Remember guys, this is strictly for the bigger paying gigs and sessions we do, for small gigs and jams I have another amp/a few pedals I can use with ease.

Any suggestions on where to go for a case?

How deep should I consider making it? I am thinking that I only need as deep as the pedal shelf + an inch or two, to pass wires.

This is looking like the shelf should be ~12 inches. So I should get away with a 14 inch deep case.

• Members

I think I am still going to pursue making my big rig.

Remember guys, this is strictly for the bigger paying gigs and sessions we do, for small gigs and jams I have another amp/a few pedals I can use with ease.

Any suggestions on where to go for a case?

How deep should I consider making it? I am thinking that I only need as deep as the pedal shelf + an inch or two, to pass wires.

This is looking like the shelf should be ~12 inches. So I should get away with a 14 inch deep case.

If you are just going to have a 6 space rack and cart it around yourself, you could easily just get a cheapy case, but my old bass player had one of the cheap SKB cases and when we'd drive from Southern California to Vegas or Palm Springs for gigs, the gear was all transported in a trailer towed behind one of our SUV's and the vibrations of the ride actually {censored}ed up his case and consequently his bass amp. (Just something for consideration, RE: cheap cases).

Kriz Kraft, A&S, Anvil (Can't go wrong) I have A&S cases, but REALLY like the Kriz Kraft cases because of how the front and rear panels are fashioned. Similar to my old Flagg cases, which I loved, but they were pretty heavy. When I toured with the Flagg stuff, my guitar rig's shipping weight was 720 lbs. ouch... I had roadies and techs back then not anymore... ;) Now I don't need a gym membership because I get all the work out from moving my own {censored}. :lol:

PS depth will really depend on the size of your rack pedal trays, they vary, as well as whether or not your rack rails are recessed or not.: Check this out

http://www.rackman.com/

• Members

I changed my mind. (again!)

Thanks for the help everyone but this is what I am going to do:

Get a double head case for my triamp and dsl, with enough depth in the back to put a power conditioner, or a 1 space rack spot for the power conditioner.

I know that will be heavy as {censored}, but it will be worth it to me!

And then build a patchbay on my pedalboard and the back of the head case for quick setup

• Members

I changed my mind. (again!)

Thanks for the help everyone but this is what I am going to do:

Get a double head case for my triamp and dsl, with enough depth in the back to put a power conditioner, or a 1 space rack spot for the power conditioner.

I know that will be heavy as {censored}, but it will be worth it to me!

And then build a patchbay on my pedalboard and the back of the head case for quick setup

Contact Dave at LA Sound Design:

http://www.lasounddesign.net/#home

Contact Lyle at Psionic Audio:

http://www.psionicaudio.com/main/index.htm

These guys can help you regarding your patchbay interface/loop switcher for your pedal board.

Archived