ROCKMASTER AND CLASSIC 60/60 VALVE SELECTION

• Members

Just got a rockmaster on ebay and have been checking up on its performance, alot of guys are sayin that the gain tends to get thin when you crank it, and was wonder besides doing the gain mod is there maybe a combination of valves between the power amp i have and the rockmaster that can improve the tone.

Im totaly new to the whole rack thing only been doing it a year so i dont have much experience with valves and such.

• Members

What don't you like about the tone?

The gain knobs pulled out does tend to get a little trebly but it's great for solos.

Remember the gain channel EQs are active, so start at noon and work from there. I recently let a young kid use my rig and he proceeded to tweak before the amp was even turned on. Needless to say the tone knobs cranked was not a desireable sound.

Experiment with the Body knob pulled out and backed off a bit.

Different speakers will influence your tone more than a tube swap, which tends to be very subtle in comparison.

Jun

• Members

thats cool will try that also i could try an eq in the effects loop i guess if nessasary.

just say in the future for when the valves are due a change could you recomend a certain valve brand such as groove tubes or jj for both power amp and preamp.

• Members

Tube swapping and remembering what it sounded like 5-10 minutes ago it very tough for me. I've used JJ, Groove Tubes, EH and Shuguang 9th gen with great results. I recently purchased a mint condition Rock Master, for $125 with the original Peavey tubes that sounds great!

I had Svetlana winged "c" 6L6s in when I owned the 60/60, which I was very happy with. I really can't compare since the original Peavey ones I swapped out were worn out.

If you like the clean channel gain turned up but find it too loud in comparison with the OD channels, place a potentiometer in the clean efx loop to reduce the volume. Since the volume on the 60/60 is in the back (stupid design), you might want to consider placing a potentiometer in the common efx loop to act as a master volume.

Jun

• Members

Just tinkering with my Rockmaster/ Classic 50/50 rig. I came up with a great (but unfortunately difficult to acquire ) combination of pre amp tubes!

V1-RCA long grey plate

V2-Mullard long plate

V3-RCA long grey plate

V4-Sylvania long black plate

Thick yet clear high gain sounds with good bottom end ,thick mids and smooth top end. Best combination Ive come up with yet. One thing to note is with the gain boosts pulled the low end gets overwhelmed a bit and it sounds top heavy. With this combination of tubes it has enough bass to overcome this. As others have mentioned its got active EQ and mid shift so theres a lot of versitility of tones in it. My 50/50 has Resonance and presence controls that helps dial in things too! I paired it up with two 1x12 Emi Tonespotter cabs. These speakers work great with this rig too. With good bass,warm mids and not harsh high end they seem to compliment the rig perfectly! Im surprized I dont hear others talking about these speakers more. Bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just tinkering with my Rockmaster/ Classic 50/50 rig. I came up with a great (but unfortunately difficult to acquire ) combination of pre amp tubes!

V1-RCA long grey plate

V2-Mullard long plate

V3-RCA long grey plate

V4-Sylvania long black plate

Thick
yet clear high gain sounds with good bottom end ,thick mids and smooth top end. Best combination Ive come up with yet. One thing to note is with the gain boosts pulled the low end gets overwhelmed a bit and it sounds top heavy. With this combination of tubes it has enough bass to overcome this. As others have mentioned its got active EQ and mid shift so theres a lot of versitility of tones in it. My 50/50 has Resonance and presence controls that helps dial in things too! I paired it up with two 1x12 Emi Tonespotter cabs. These speakers work great with this rig too. With good bass,warm mids and not harsh high end they seem to compliment the rig perfectly! Im surprized I dont hear others talking about these speakers more. Bob

cool rockon1000, i might check out thoes valves and try that combination in the near future, your lucky with the 50/50 and its controls, the 60/60 has no resonance and presence and has its volume controls at the back, a little annoying.

BTW what settings you run, ive noticed that the edge control on the ultra channlel sounds best around 12 or 1 o clock, anything more and its to fizzy or airy

• Members

cool rockon1000, i might check out thoes valves and try that combination in the near future, your lucky with the 50/50 and its controls, the 60/60 has no resonance and presence and has its volume controls at the back, a little annoying.

BTW what settings you run, ive noticed that the edge control on the ultra channlel sounds best around 12 or 1 o clock, anything more and its to fizzy or airy

Im running my edge at about 2 oclock(6 on the knob) Bass at 6 and mids around 3. Thru the tonespotters or its totally unfizzy or harsh! Where I keep the resonance(as well as all controls really) depends on the speakers. With this combination of tubes and speakers its a tough act to follow for classic rock and 80's metal. Bob

• Members

I used to love my Classic 50/50 until I AB'ed it with a 60/60. I thought the resonance and presence was great but the 60/60 is so clear and punchy those controls seem like a gimmick to me. The volume on the back is a little annoying. The remedy is using a potentiometer in the master efx loop which acts as a Master level control. Another pot int the clean efx loop will allow you to turn up the volume to get a better tone out of the clean channel.

Jun

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I always tried to avoid the pull gain as it made the gain thinner. But honestly for most applications the gain at max without pulling it is plenty. I keep my treble low as it can get really spikey fast. I run a true stereo rack with my guitar signal from my effects and volume pedal split with one side ran to my rockmaster set like pre-4oclock, post-2oclock, edge-noon, body-11(not pulled), bottom-3oclock. The other side of my guitar signal goes into my ADA MP1 3.666 with both gains at 5 the bass at 12, mids at -6, treble at 6 and presence at 6 and master at 7. This goes through my studio quad and each channel gets its own effects then out to my el34 power amp. Either preamp by themselves sounds really weak but together it sounds huge. The mix meshes so well. Of course midi switching was a necescity to get everything going on the right channel at once.

• Members

I always tried to avoid the pull gain as it made the gain thinner. But honestly for most applications the gain at max without pulling it is plenty. I keep my treble low as it can get really spikey fast. I run a true stereo rack with my guitar signal from my effects and volume pedal split with one side ran to my rockmaster set like pre-4oclock, post-2oclock, edge-noon, body-11(not pulled), bottom-3oclock. The other side of my guitar signal goes into my ADA MP1 3.666 with both gains at 5 the bass at 12, mids at -6, treble at 6 and presence at 6 and master at 7. This goes through my studio quad and each channel gets its own effects then out to my el34 power amp. Either preamp by themselves sounds really weak but together it sounds huge. The mix meshes so well. Of course midi switching was a necescity to get everything going on the right channel at once.

Try some high quality cables, you won't think the Rock Master is thin on it's own or with the gain knob pulled. I have upgraded every possible wire including pickup wire and my cab's internal wire. What a difference!

Two days ago, I upgraded my buddy's Legacy cab internal wires with Evidence Audio. Same results, the tone knobs on the amp and guitar seemed to have extended their useful range. One of my favorite settings used to be all the tone controls and gain dimed. Now the same sound can be achieved at the tone controls about 5 - 6. Now there are an infinite amount of tone options.

Jun

• Members

I already use evidence cables for both my speaker cables, 10 gauge oxygen free soldered on for the inside of the cab, and george L's for interior rack connections and Mogami Gold instrument from guitar to volume pedal and volume pedal to wah and wah to rack.

The rockmaster is great, but the tone change when the gain boost engaged to when it is off is still noticeable. Its not a bad thing, just not the sound I hear in my head. Reminds me a lot of an SD-1 where it adds gain and makes the sounds more modern but robs the low mids and lows. I really like the lower gain setting any way. When mixed with the modern sounding MP1 3.666 my rack is monstrous sounding.

Try some high quality cables, you won't think the Rock Master is thin on it's own or with the gain knob pulled. I have upgraded every possible wire including pickup wire and my cab's internal wire. What a difference!

Two days ago, I upgraded my buddy's Legacy cab internal wires with Evidence Audio. Same results, the tone knobs on the amp and guitar seemed to have extended their useful range. One of my favorite settings used to be all the tone controls and gain dimed. Now the same sound can be achieved at the tone controls about 5 - 6. Now there are an infinite amount of tone options.

Jun

• Members

Im interested in this ADA MP1 device is it an effects unit or a type of preamp?

• Members

Im interested in this ADA MP1 device is it an effects unit or a type of preamp?

The ADA MP1 is an all tube midi controlled preamp. Think 80's metal tone stock. You can find all you need to know about it over at http://www.adadepot.com

That is the site where I found out about all the mods available for this preamp. The mod I had done was the 3.666 mod which basicly matches the preamp components and eq values up to a mesa dual rectifier's preamp section but with more control. It can sometimes get a little lost in the mix after the mod but mixed with the rockmaster and its a monstrous sound. I had a guy from here on the boards mod it for me. Its a great preamp stock or modded.

• Members

I already use evidence cables for both my speaker cables, 10 gauge oxygen free soldered on for the inside of the cab, and george L's for interior rack connections and Mogami Gold instrument from guitar to volume pedal and volume pedal to wah and wah to rack.

The rockmaster is great, but the tone change when the gain boost engaged to when it is off is still noticeable. Its not a bad thing, just not the sound I hear in my head. Reminds me a lot of an SD-1 where it adds gain and makes the sounds more modern but robs the low mids and lows. I really like the lower gain setting any way. When mixed with the modern sounding MP1 3.666 my rack is monstrous sounding.

Someday when you rewire your entire rig with EA, you will know what I'm experiencing. I used to use Bill Lawrence cables which are apparently similar to George Ls. No comparison. Upgrading the pickup wires was a significant difference in tone. Granted the tone difference when pulling the gain knob is still there but it doesn't get thin at all. It's perfect for soloing.

Have you tried placing a potentiometer on the various efx loops on the Rock Master? I always use one on the 'clean loop' so I can turn up the gain to get a warmer tone but reduce the output volume to match the crunch and ultra channels.

Jun

• Members

Have you tried placing a potentiometer on the various efx loops on the Rock Master? I always use one on the 'clean loop' so I can turn up the gain to get a warmer tone but reduce the output volume to match the crunch and ultra channels.

I run all my levels high. Clean channel volume around 12 noon (you are right it really opens up around 11 oclcock.) and Ultra and Crunch around 2 or 3 oclock depending on my gain setting. I attenuate the signal going by using the 0 decibel output in to my effects processor depending and adjust the input volume on the FX input depending on the channel I use. The Axess CFX4 is priceless to me since I can run my whole rig with one midi pedal and change channels on the rockmaster simultainiously with the ADA MP1.

Dont misunderstand my posts...I dont think the rockmaster is bad or thin if set right. I love the preamp, I just figured out that setting it to work with its character rather than against what it naturally is works alot better for me. I tried for years to make the rockmaster sound like a modern metal monster...It can do it, but its actually more comfortable being a high gain modded british thrash preamp or the smoothest high gain lead sound peavey ever made.

By running two preamps at once I can adjust my sound on the fly to cover any and all styles that I play live. Both preamps sound killer alone but together its a new level of huge tone. Its like having a tight mesa rectifier that cuts in any mix but with a super smooth solo channel and a clean that would make most jazz hounds take notice. Plus if anything ever goes wrong I have instant backups already programmed and ready.

Archived