Rack Tube/SS Amp Advice Needed...

clund

• Members

Hi everyone... I am new on here and have spent many hours searching the posts and looking at advice about Pre-Amp / Amp setups. I currently have an ADA MP-1 that I purchased new back in the early nineties. I like its sound and am most likely going to stick with it. From there my signal runs into a Korg A1 (Old I know) but it will most likely get replaced soon as well. And from there, into a Carver PM-300 Amp - Solid state. Finally into a Marshall JCM 900 Lead 1960 Slant Cab.

I am okay with the sound, but I want a little more out of it. And my band could also use another monitor amp, so figured why not replace the Carver PM-300 with either a Tube Amp or a rack SS amp designed for a guitar signal. I would love to get a VHT tube amp, but price is a bit of an issue, I would like to stay under the $400 range.

This is what I have been looking at, and some of my concerns...

Mesa 20/20 - From what I have read, it is a great amp, even finding it used for under $400 is hard, and will it have enough to run my Half Stack in a small/medium club situation?

Mesa 50/50 - PRICEY!

Rocktron Velocity 100 or 120 // OR Tube Works MosValve -- Can find them used, but how is the sound quality?

Carvin TS100 - A bit over my budget and just over $500, but is it worth it?

I also would prefer to save rack space (2 u or less) but I can give up the extra space for a good sound.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! -- Thanks!

- Corey

• Members

I had the same dilemma a few months ago. I wanted to replace a solid state Marshall (Valvestate 8008) in my rack with a tube power amp. I was looking at the Mesa 20/20 but it was too expensive for me, so I went for a used Peavey Classic 50/50 and I'm very happy with it.

• Members

The Peavey Classic 50/50, 60, 60/60, 120, 120/120 are usually all under $400. Good bang for the buck.

I personally liked the 60/60 over the 50/50 for the extended bass and treble response.

Don't let the Mesa 20/20 's wattage fool you. It's loud esp. into a 4x12 cab.

Jun

• Members

Hi everyone... I am new on here and have spent many hours searching the posts and looking at advice about Pre-Amp / Amp setups. I currently have an ADA MP-1 that I purchased new back in the early nineties. I like its sound and am most likely going to stick with it. From there my signal runs into a Korg A1 (Old I know) but it will most likely get replaced soon as well. And from there, into a Carver PM-300 Amp - Solid state. Finally into a Marshall JCM 900 Lead 1960 Slant Cab.

I am okay with the sound, but I want a little more out of it. And my band could also use another monitor amp, so figured why not replace the Carver PM-300 with either a Tube Amp or a rack SS amp designed for a guitar signal. I would love to get a VHT tube amp, but price is a bit of an issue, I would like to stay under the $400 range.

This is what I have been looking at, and some of my concerns...

Mesa 20/20 - From what I have read, it is a great amp, even finding it used for under $400 is hard, and will it have enough to run my Half Stack in a small/medium club situation?

Mesa 50/50 - PRICEY!

Rocktron Velocity 100 or 120 // OR Tube Works MosValve -- Can find them used, but how is the sound quality?

Carvin TS100 - A bit over my budget and just over $500, but is it worth it?

I also would prefer to save rack space (2 u or less) but I can give up the extra space for a good sound.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! -- Thanks!

- Corey

I HATE the Rocktron Poweramps. I had the Velocity 100 and 120 and they sounded thin and horrible compared to my Mesa 395, which replaced them.

I feel your pain about great tone being expensive. It definitely is not as cheap as it was yesteryear, with ebay and all.

Best of luck to you

• Members

The Peavey Classic 50/50, 60, 60/60, 120, 120/120 are usually all under $400. Good bang for the buck.

I personally liked the 60/60 over the 50/50 for the extended bass and treble response.

Don't let the Mesa 20/20 's wattage fool you. It's loud esp. into a 4x12 cab.

Jun

+9999999999999999999999999999999 on the Peavey Classic 50/50 etc...

GOOD call!!!! :thu:

• Members

Well... I have a $381 bid on a Mesa Boogie 50/50 right now on E-Bay! Wish me luck... Anything has to be better than the Thin sound of that SS Carver amp... And yes, I have added the Peavey Classic Tube Amp to my list of possible candidates. Thank you all very much for your advice, and wish me luck!

- Corey

• Members

The Peavey Classic 50/50 and Carvin TS100 (or older T100) would be great choices. I have used a couple of Peaveys and a Carvin T100 with an MP-1 and was very happy with the tones. The current TS100 is the most versatile of the "budget" power amps, as it can use EL34 or 6L6 tubes. For a bit more money, check out Randall. I can't remember the model, but they have a tube power amp as well.

• Members

+9999999999999999999999999999999 on the Peavey Classic 50/50 etc...

GOOD call!!!!
:thu:

i'll add a +10^100000 on that one. I'm running a peavey classic 50/50 pushing an old 2x12 cab after an ADA mp-1 and a rocktron piranha preamp, and its great for the price. i got mine for around $300 about 5 years ago if i recall... Sometimes if i want the headroom i'll bridge both channels, or just run it at half power for the earlier breakup. No frills, just good tube power amp.

• Members

WOW! I just went and checked out the Randall RT2/50 on their site... Didn't even know they had a rack tube amp... Looks pretty nice with a Midi interface and everything. Still, A bit out of my price range, didn't really want to spend $1000 on an amp. Wonder how it compairs to the VHT 2/50/2. Same price range.

Thanks for the info!

- Corey

• Members

The Randall is a good choice. It's interesting how you can switch between the 2 sides using 6L6s or EL34s. I've never heard of a VHT failing but I have of the Randalls. The VHT might be a little louder in each channel, it's a bit heaver, probably transformer weight.

• Members

Hey clund,

There are quite a few used tube stereo power amps on the market since guitar rack systems aren't as popular as they were in the '80s & '90s. My choices for used stereo tube power amps"

Peavey Classic 60/60, 120/120. Reliable, loud and affordable

ADA T100S: 50 watts per side, EL-34 power tubes. Very nice!!

Carvin TS100: 50 watts per side, affordable, good customer service

Rocktron Velocity Valve: 80 watts per side, runs on 5881 or EL-34 power tubes, designed by Bruce Egnater

Randall RT2/50

Mesa Boogie 50/50 or Dynawatt 20/20

I would put a little bit more money aside and not cheap out on a good stereo tube power amp.

Guitar George

• Members

Thanks again everyone for the advice!!! You have all been very helpful, I just won a bid on a Peavey Classic 50/50 Tube Power Amp on ebay for $180. Can't wait to hook it up! And from what I have seen, I got a pretty good deal on it.

I will post my opinions once I get it!

- Corey

• Members

Thanks again everyone for the advice!!! You have all been very helpful, I just won a bid on a Peavey Classic 50/50 Tube Power Amp on ebay for $180. Can't wait to hook it up! And from what I have seen, I got a pretty good deal on it.

I will post my opinions once I get it!

- Corey

Nice one! :thu:

It sounds like you got yourself a bargain. Hope it's all OK when it arrives - I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Look forward to hearing your opinions.

• Members

You should be quite happy with the Classic 50/50. I've gigged with just a Boss ME-50 multi-effects pedal (distortion, noise gate, delay) into my 50/50 and had great results, and with a proper tube preamp like the MP-1, yours should sound awesome.

• Members

As alternatives to the Peavey 50/50 you might want to look at the following amps:

Tube Works Pro Valve (based on 6L6)

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Tube+Works/RT-4250+ProValve+100+Power+Amp/10/1

Engl 2x35 (I own one. Actually it is 2x40 watts, 8xEL84 very very nice)

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Engl/E820/10/1

Archived