Digitech GSP 7 rackmount

lhoard

• Members

whats the price? should be super cheap. cheap enough to buy and then see if you like it. like all 80's and 90's digital stuff the cleans are super clean and the distortion is really distorted. dont expect much in the crunch section or like a blues breaker type sound.

I never owned a gsp7.

• Members

Eric:

Could you give me some details with your experiences with the GSP5, i.e: how you liked it, features, things you didn't like, etc.

Lee

The thing that amazed me about it was that it was a dramatic example of how powerful even a simple two band parametric EQ really can be... it basically had one single "distortion" available on all FX chains called "balls". It should have just been called "buzz" because because that's what it was. :)

The amazing thing was the patches covered a wide variety of styles and genres by combining this goofy buzz generator with the simple two band parametric EQ. Don't get me wrong, it definitely was NOT a good preamp. :) BUT, it was just wild how much less the EQ made that distortion suck, it should have been MUCH worse than it actually was, I mean it sounded fake and solid state but it was serviceable tone-wise for processors at that time. Really kind of neat in a twisted way.

Modulations were weak but, again, serviceable for 80's era. The Multi-Tap delays were truly great and really fun to use and the Verbs were damn good for a box of its ilk.

I still have it in my home studio gear rack running into one of the mixer's FX busses. I can use it for some ambient reverb or delay in parallel with an incoming signal from something else. When I'm feeling really nostalgic I can still plug into it from the front and experience it in all its glory. :freak::love:

• Members

Be aware that with these old units there is very little if any customer/product support. That is to say if it breaks it would probably cost you more to fix than you paid for it (if parts were even avaiable). I retired my old GSP21 after Digitech told me they were going to stop supporting it. I still have it but it's resting. I bought a 2120 to replace it. I did have a fair share of problems with the GSP21 and it was back to Digitech at least 4 - 5 times. Good luck getting a mother board for those old units. At the time I used it I was pretty happy with the sounds but after I bought the 2120 its just as well that I retired it.

Archived