Anyone remember the ADA Ampulator?

• Members

Anyone still using it in their rig?

I remember it and would love to have one, but they're extremely rare. They seem to be going on eBay in the $450 to $500 price range when they do come up... but when something is rare enough it's hard to say what it'd cost to actually get a hold of one.

Apparently they're extremely good sounding units. I used an ADA microcab for a while and it is an excellent unit, so I'd expect the Ampulator to be even better given that it is a related but more advanced design.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yeah, it was/is a cool tube driven device.

I remember reading about it in a Guitar Player 95' issue and picked one up when they came out in 96'. Worked great for direct stuff.

I like that by pushing more than one cab button in you could get different tones or push all the cab buttons in at the same time. Likewise it had a whole different range of sounds with all the cab buttons disengaged. This is possible by pushing on a cab button and then letting the currently selected button pop out, all cab buttons out.

An ADA rep confirmed that this was sort of a trick for dialing additional cool and unintended settings.

With all the current modelling stuff out these days, the flexibility seems light years ahead with seemingly endless combinations.

Do you think there any benefit of using in a live rig with the the cab sims bypassed?

SoL

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Not an Ampulator, but I do have an ADA T100-S dual stereo tube amp that sounds pretty good. I wonder if ADA modeled their own sound?

Disclaimer, I have listed the Amp in the 'For Sale' section at the ADADepot site, but it's not listed on HC yet.

best,

john

• Members

I have one. I worked at ADA for ten years. The ampulator is basically a little 12ax7a amp circuit running into the microcab speaker simulator, which you can turn on & off & tweak as someone else here said. One of the fun things we did at the factory was plug a guitar straight into it and run it straight into a speaker cab as a low wattage amp in its own right. It is great for recording direct or for warming up a preamp straight into a PA.

• Members

I have one. I worked at ADA for ten years. The ampulator is basically a little 12ax7a amp circuit running into the microcab speaker simulator, which you can turn on & off & tweak as someone else here said. One of the fun things we did at the factory was plug a guitar straight into it and run it straight into a speaker cab as a low wattage amp in its own right. It is great for recording direct or for warming up a preamp straight into a PA.

So, would it be possible to mod a Microcab to Ampulator specs by adding a 12ax7a amp circuit? If so, how costly and/or difficult would this be?

• Members

So, would it be possible to mod a Microcab to Ampulator specs by adding a 12ax7a amp circuit? If so, how costly and/or difficult would this be?

I would maybe try one of those art tube preamp thingies before the microcab to warm up your preamp. If I remember correctly, the microcab is only supposed to take a line level input, such as the ada mp-1 or similar, so be careful! Honestly, using a good eq after your preamp can get you pretty good results in lieu of a microcab. ADA had a midi programmable eq called the MQ1 that works great. Try putting a notch at around 10k and take it easy with the high frequencies and you'll get pretty close. remember, the microcab was released mid 90's, there's no digital modeling going on there. The ampulator is a different beast, though. It's pretty cool and helps you get a bit of that power amp kind of raunch into your recording signal.

Archived