Here's The Key To Being A Good Singer

sydfan

• Members

Definitely an important aspect. I have heard good singers who weren't nearly as good under the pressure of being on-stage.

I'll add: Sing in your voice. Just because the guitar player is trying to cop "that tone" doesn't mean you should try to be the Rich Little/Frank Caliendo of rock & roll.

• Members

1. Is to have self insight at your current abilities. This way you can work on what is your weakest points related to what you are trying to do. And skip working on your strengths as this is wasted energy

2. Be able to work on your act and be willing to invest a minimum of quality time into developing yourself. This don't have to be hours daily if you follow #1, but it needs to be a constantly task.

3. Don't be afraid to sing! Have confidence and make the best out of yourself on the stage. Act as if you don't have the weaknesses and be a true star.

4. Be sure you are having fun all the time both practicing and performing. Take a deep look into what environment variables that can make your act better for you and your audience.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

The key to being a 'good' singer, is to BECOME a good singer...

Keep yourself in top physical condition. #1

Listen to yourself - LEARN to HEAR yourself. LISTEN to the MASTERS - for whatever genre / style you wish to 'be'.

Let the true compliments build your confidence, and listen carefully to constructive criticism, and consider the source.

Practice, Practice, Practice

The times I've been approached about voice lessons, and given in to a 'setting' - most who approach me are already building a foundation - they sing on key, and have good rhythm/timing, but have no idea how to support.

They have no real idea what it 'feels' like to sing - no idea what to do with their 'body', and instead try to sing from their throat.:facepalm:

A quick explanation, and they either 'get it', or they don't - I'm always encouraging, however...

Years ago, I was performing an informal 'Dining experience', and approached by a large man, with a huge huge voice - told me not to take him wrong, but there was something really GROSS I was doing...

A legendary Opera singer, turns out (who will remain un-named). He invited me to his home for a voice lesson... told me the majors would be interested, but a few things I had to learn first...

He said, back in the day, (he's retired now for some time) as a young man, a world renowned vocal coach/teacher (female) said to him "sing like I've got a hold of the end of your cock!":eek:

I 'got' what he was saying, and keep it in mind...

G;)

• Members

That is your opinion.

For example, I think Axl Rose sucks. The guy can't sing. But millions of tone deaf people bought his CD's and made him a very rich man.

You're generalizing the word "suck" a bit too much.Axl was a much better singer and performer than you might think; his head resonance was actually exceptional compared to other singers of his time, and he had excellent pitch. He was a performer of incredible energy, and a good writer. Of course, alcohol and drugs always stood in the way of his best performance, but he did have his better days...

But taking notice and sorting out what sucks and what's marketable, is a different talent in itself...

• Members

The world bodybuilding champion couldnt even talk right

• Members

The world bodybuilding champion couldnt even talk right

Bodybuilding does not imply being in good physical condition. I think Goldenvoice was referring more to keeping your lungs, throat, sinuses, and mouth healthy and avoiding injuring any of the above.

• Members

There is no question that you have to sing with confidence, but that comes with anything that you do in life. If you aren't confident, then you're just going through the motions, that includes any position in the band.

That said, as people have mentioned, you should watch the American Idol auditions and see how some of these tone-deaf, no rhythm individuals go in there thinking that they are 'all that', and as they walk away with the judges laughing (same with millions of viewers); they scream and cry on camera that they were treated unfairly. Same with their friends and mothers.

If you listen to yourself, play to your strengths, and sing in the keys and styles in which you are best, then you'll become more confident in your singing.

• Members

Don't be afraid to sing! Have confidence and it will roll right out of you!

So true. When you have what it takes, confidence is 80% of it when singing. Also works for other instruments, but since vocals are a physical instrument in your body, it's even more noticeable.

• Members

Have you ever watched the American Idol open auditions?
:cop:

Those people are bad singers because they're stupid, not confident.

Stupid is thinking you have it when you don't, and try to sing when you should shut up and learn.

Confident is knowing you have learned some things, you are serious about what you do, and that you shouldn't be afraid to show it.

• Members

Don't be afraid to sing! Have confidence and it will roll right out of you!

Guess I can agree, if you have a certain amount of ability to start with. I'll also add, keep singing. The more you do it the better you get. You have to find the balance, though - you have to not be afraid to push yourself and take chances, but also be smart enough to know how and when not to advertize your shortcomings ;)

• Members

When I think secret to singing I recall as a youngster jamming with an older fellow who was a very good vocalist. When I posed this question he was admamant:

Sing with your diaphragm.

At first I balked at the idea of singing with a female contraceptive device in order to get better at it, but soon understood.

Of course he meant concentrating where the air was coming from rather than where it was going. Reminds me of doing bends on a harmonica and the old "sucking the air out of a shoe mantra". Weird mantras like that can bring you into focus I guess.

• Members

Confidence in your abilities. If you don't currently have it, then you can't be truly confident. If I know a song on guitar like the back of my hand, I won't have any issue playing it confidently or half-assed. It's the same with singing IMO-if you are unsure about making the notes and have not practiced enough in certain areas, you won't have that confidence.

David Archuleta's voice teacher said at a seminar (something like this): "the audience should be focusing on your delivery/emotion, etc. and able to enjoy your song(s), not worrying about whether you are able to hit the correct notes, etc. whilst you are performing.

I may have botched the quote, but I think its a worthwhile piece of advice.

Archived