Rockmaster vs HK Access - how do they compare

• Members

Had the Access for about a two years while the Rock Master collected dust. I was enamored with the endless efx possibilities and really enjoyed controlling various parameters via MIDI expression pedals.

But tone-wise, the Rock Master is more organic. Very responsive to adjusting the guitar's volume knob while the preamp gain knob is cranked.

If you want a MIDI pre, look into a Peavey Tubefex. About $180 - $250 on ebay.

Jun

• Members

Save your money. The Realtube II sounds just as good as the Rockmaster.

Does it REALLY? Have you a/b'ed the two? Not being a smart aleck, just wondering. I can get some decent sounds from the Realtube II but the crunch channel seems to lack some bass and it's a bit noisy. In stack mode I get the bass back and, strangely enough, it's much quieter. The clean channel is nice too.

• Members

Never tried a Rockmaster, but the access can sound fantastic or downright weird AND unforgiving.

tubes matter in a big way

I've found speakers and cables to matter more with this preamp too. It seems to sound better with more marshallly (flexy) cabs.

sound module A and B both sound completely different.

Overall I prefer B. the clean stays cleaner, ch2 can do 80's metal with the gain way up, and ch3 is REALLY gainey. Not sure if I like this channel as much as CH3 on module A though.

• Members

Can the TubeFex substitute just as well?

Most definitely. It's basically a programmable Rock Master.

Out of the MIDI pres I tried:

Rocktron Piranha

H&K Access

Marshall JMP-1

The Tubefex is by far my favorite. I really like the tones and the routing options. You can place any efx, including signal splitter/mixer and external loop anywhere in the signal chain.

The Tubefex prices are about the same as the Rock Master these days.

If you get one, you will need to remove the leaky battery with a new Eprom from Ken Fox on the Tubefex forum. Also the newest OS is 2.0. anything under 1.4 (I believe) might have a slight problem upgrading without a easy mod. It's all documented on the John Fera website or forum.

Jun

Archived